The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

13 hours ago, Cyber Bread said:

Wassup it’s your boy cyber bread 

welcome to the forums! 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Chindogu said:

Hey everybody!

After 28 years I think I maybe ready to play another person.

Haha, awesome man!  We have a live tournament in Toronto coming up Oct 15th!  I expect we'll have another in Minnesota sometime around February and maybe NYC area in the later spring/summer.  

Aside from live in-person events, we play '94 all year round in leagues.  Best to join our Discord server for immediate chat/help.  

https://discord.gg/5aQwEcH3HG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

Hi names David.  This forum is amazing.  I was bummed cause my bday is tommorrow and my car isn't running so I'm stuck here in my rv.  But now I don't even care I got gms for days.  Thx.

If you want to join the live chat server where most of the action is these days, here's the link: https://discord.gg/H7vrytU

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, gitegiky said:

Hey there.. first post here.. hope to enjoy the community!

Hi, anything in particular you're hoping to do/find here? :)

Also I'm always curious to find out, how do people find this place? Random thought and google, or did you see NHL94 somewhere and then google and end up here..

21 hours ago, smozoma said:

Hi, anything in particular you're hoping to do/find here? :)

Also I'm always curious to find out, how do people find this place? Random thought and google, or did you see NHL94 somewhere and then google and end up here..

Thanks for your curiosity... well I've start to play NHL94 quite recently (a year ago or so), and I've immediately found this forum looking for some roster update on google.

I've found a very interesting communitiy here since i'm a developer (web apps mainly, but i have some ASM skills too), hockey fan and retrogaming enthusiast... so I think i fit quite well here 😄

I hope to help the community building new roms, since I've recently discovered a lot of them and had a lot of fun playing (especially the '95 ones).

Recently I've became stronger at the game, so the AI is becaming quite boring... that's why I also hope to find some new challanges online (even if I mostly play on real hardware and the online tournaments are on emu only)

I hope that these answers replied to your curiosity 😉

• 6 months later...

Hello from Sweden.

I've been aware of this forum almost since the start as I bought a used Mega Drive and NHL 96 back in '04 and after a while started looking around the internet for reviews on which game in the series to choose next. Registration took until 2018, but it looks like I never got around to posting anything.

I first became aware of the EA hockey games around 1992 when I saw the owners of a local record shop playing what must have been EA Hockey in the store when not selling CDs.

A friend had the console and NHLPA 93. Unfortunately my first experience was to play him as Tampa Bay against Montreal after he picked the teams... The guy then bought NHL 94 on the day it was released here, but went back to '93 after a day or two as he felt scoring goals was too hard and his enjoyment of the game had become trying to beat the computer, or anyone challenging him to a game, buy at least 20 to nothing.

So our group of friends ended up mostly playing against the computer and as he later had both '95 and '96 as well as both releases of 'Elitserien'. I also played some NHL 95 on PC.

The comeback in 2004 lasted about two years and then it took until 2018 before I dug out the Mega Drive again and bought Elitserien 96.

Last week I got the idea to give it a new go. I don't own a computer at the moment, but the console is still around and working and I've just finished a successful play-off with the Whalers on NHL 96.

I've found a dozen or so NHL 94 available on Swedish Ebay and they cost from about $10 for the cartridge only and the cheapest complete version is around $15.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hello, just joined the forum. 
I’m an old school player from the original console games and played them all as they came out. I found the site last year and got playing 94 again with an updated roster. But this season my kids (7 and 10) have taken a liking to the game and so now I’m back and see the amazing work on new rosters and gameplay mods posted on the site. So I’m jazzed to fire those up and give them a play.  Back in the day 95 was the one we logged the most ice time on because of the insane advancement of the full season mode with statistics and trades…back in the pre-internet days, this was a game changer. We had leagues where 5-6 of us played a full season and it was so intense. So I’m excited to see there’s a ROM for that game here as well. 

cheers! 

• Like 1

Hello there,

Been signed up here for a long time I guess and didn't even realize but played 94 a lot with friends back in high school, which was in 2007 but loved firing up the SNES and playing Tecmo and NHL 94.

Awesome to come on here and find updated rosters for every single year essentially.

As Strak said above, wondering if there's been any rom updates to other games where there are full season modes. Would be awesome.

Also, interested in potentially checking out an online way to play against others?

2 hours ago, ChanceWinston said:

Hello there,

Been signed up here for a long time I guess and didn't even realize but played 94 a lot with friends back in high school, which was in 2007 but loved firing up the SNES and playing Tecmo and NHL 94.

Awesome to come on here and find updated rosters for every single year essentially.

As Strak said above, wondering if there's been any rom updates to other games where there are full season modes. Would be awesome.

Also, interested in potentially checking out an online way to play against others?

A stumbling block on updating the later games is that the graphics aren't editable, so we can't update logos. We can do updates to 94 because some smart people 20 years ago converted the graphics in the game ROM to an editable format, and we've been "standing on the shoulders of giants" ever since.

Hi all!

I recently dug out my childhood SNES from the basement dungeon it was locked away in for over a decade and have gotten hooked on ‘94 again.  I picked up nhl ‘96 to play seasons and it just feels gross to me.  A bit too fast, and way too easy to score garbage goals.  The community here seems pretty awesome, and I’m totally astounded by the mod community and the work they put into roms.  Today I’ll be trying out a couple genesis roms with current rosters on my living room tv, and I’m totally excited for it!  

I might want to get into some online play, but once upon a time I got way too invested in competitive gaming, and don’t want to go down that road again.

IMG_4576.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

Love this community as I've been lurking for a while as I edit my ROM, but I do have questions as I want to have it done by March. In any case, I'll post on the right topics for that, but just wanted to say hello, give kudos to the group, and I'm grateful to be a part of it now that I've registered!