NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hey Forum,

My name is Chester and I've been a Genesis owner since 1992. Surprisingly, with all of the next-gen systems taking over, my housemates and I still break out the Sega Genesis every now and then and break out some classics like NHL 94. I'm very pleased to learn that there's a web portal like this one out there for emulation, editing, and online play. I'd love to get involved in playing some online matches, so feel free to PM me on the boards if you're ever interested. Looking forward to being around!

-Chester

Post your instant messenger name(s) and people will contact you through there. Most people here use AIM http://www.aim.com/ .

Hi all,

Wow, this site is bringing back some memories... anyway, been checking out this place for a few weeks now, and I thought I'd formally say hello to everyone.

I'm a longtime veteran of sega NHL95, but relatively new as far as giving it a go on the computer and online. Mack's 30 team ROM (excellent work sir!) has also got me into trying out NHL94 as well. Big up to all the creative folks working on mods and hacks for keeping this game alive!

My ideal game settings would be penalties, icing, & offsides on, line changes on, and at least 10 (or 20) minute periods. I'm also only able to use the Kega emulator, as Gens is rather finnicky.

If anyone is into these rules, I'm always up for a game. I've just set up on aim as: op3nsource

Hope to meet up with you all sometime at centre ice!

ta!

PS: if anyone knows of a league, or is thinking of starting a league with these rules and settings, using Mack's 30 team ROM, please let me know!

Nice to see you have joined the community, but I do have this to say about the rules you prefer...

You will have a very hard time finding games using them because about 90% of the guys here use these rules when playing Genesis:

Emulator: Gens

Period Length: 5 min

Penalties: On, Except Off-Sides

Line Changes: Off

Evan's league that is starting registration soon, uses these rules and the original NHL '94 ROM.

Greetings fellow 94' players.

I have been following this website for a while now and i look forward to finally playing some games and perhaps a league.

I have been playing the SNES version, which seem underrepresented on this site, for as long as i can remember

Perhaps my fondest memory is of a four player, best of 5 "cup match" played on my birthday many years ago. It was game 5, and as anyone who's played 5 ten minute games in a row knows, tensions were high, particularly after coming back from a 2 game deficit. With the last seconds of the game ticking by, we were down a goal, and it looked like it was all over - to the point where i even "tossed the controller" out of frustration. Luckily, my teammate kept his composure within these final seconds and was able to capitalize on what is now infamously remembered as "the J-To giveaway" (J-To, playing as goalie, tried to dump the puck out of the zone to end the game with seconds left, but ended up giving it to my teammate along with an empty net.) The game went to a crazy over-time period in which we ultimately prevailed in a blaze of glory. Indeed, it was quite the birthday tourney, and i was feeling the after effects of the intense adrenalin rush for weeks!

P.S. if anyone is wondering about my name, it is actually the name of a forward on the Nordiques with the terrible and embarassing overall rating of 33 (one of the worst that i've been able to find)...anyway, i was quite amused when i saw the stat.

P.S. if anyone is wondering about my name

Not wondering, you're only, like, one of my favorite players.

You'll find that SNES guys here are indeed outnumbered, but the passion for NHL94 by the SNES guys seems to be higher than average. Maybe since everybody else was playing Genesis the SNES guys had no friends growing up and so they forged powerful emotional bonds with their NHL94 cartridges. It's hard to say. But you should have no trouble getting a lot of games in.

Oh, yeah, girls, on the dating scene I'm pretty sure Genesis guys were the Alpha Betas in college and SNES guys were Tri-Lams.

I have been playing the SNES version, which seem underrepresented on this site, for as long as i can remember

It's true...GENS outnumbers SNES players almost 2 to 1. But we're planning a comeback.

I'll drink to that.

• 1 month later...

Hello NHL'94 Forum...

Man, I am a 30-Something who literally grew up playing the EA NHL line of games. Recently, I made the switch from Windows to Linux and re-found the world of emulator game play. No longer being able to run and hack the latest NHL '07 PC game (yeah, I know I might be able to in Wine, but not as smoothly as actually having a Windows box) I decided to D/L some old SNES and Gens NHL games. Goodness, was NHLPA'93 my favorite game back in the day.

Anyway, I used to make bunches of goalie equipment "hacks" for the later NHL PC games on sites such as NHL Depot etc. It's been a few years, but, needless to say, the "hack" bug is hitting here again now with finding this site and re-finding the classic NHL series. I'm pumped! Thanks for the cool site. :lol:

Hello NHL'94 Forum...

Man, I am a 30-Something who literally grew up playing the EA NHL line of games. Recently, I made the switch from Windows to Linux and re-found the world of emulator game play. No longer being able to run and hack the latest NHL '07 PC game (yeah, I know I might be able to in Wine, but not as smoothly as actually having a Windows box) I decided to D/L some old SNES and Gens NHL games. Goodness, was NHLPA'93 my favorite game back in the day.

Anyway, I used to make bunches of goalie equipment "hacks" for the later NHL PC games on sites such as NHL Depot etc. It's been a few years, but, needless to say, the "hack" bug is hitting here again now with finding this site and re-finding the classic NHL series. I'm pumped! Thanks for the cool site. :lol:

Nice to have another '93 head on board. You might want to check out the NHLPA'93 pages that were completed a few months ago.

Nice to have another '93 head on board. You might want to check out the NHLPA'93 pages that were completed a few months ago.

Thanks for the heads-up/welcome. While I'm here, is there an updated '93 newer than the '06 one listed on the '93 site download page? I've looked around, but couldn't find one. Thanks.

Hi all, I'm thrilled to have found a site like this, I spent most of my waking hours playing NHL 94 and beyond back then, looking forward to getting back into the game!

I only have one thing left to do, and thats buy a joystick for my laptop, I'm on Windows XP home, any suggestions for a decent computer joystick?

Do I need any special hardware for this?

Thanx, look forward to getting into some tourneys!

:ninja:

Hi all, I'm thrilled to have found a site like this, I spent most of my waking hours playing NHL 94 and beyond back then, looking forward to getting back into the game!

I only have one thing left to do, and thats buy a joystick for my laptop, I'm on Windows XP home, any suggestions for a decent computer joystick?

Do I need any special hardware for this?

Thanx, look forward to getting into some tourneys!

:ninja:

Just hit the local Best Buy (or other electronics store) and get a hands on feel for a good control pad.

Another option is USB adapters for your favorite console controllers. http://www.retrousb.com/

Welcome to the community!

Hey everyone whats up. I'am ovechkin. I have been playing 94 for 8 years (since I was 7) and started playing it on the zsnes last summer. I recently crossed over to Gens for the awesome 07/08 update.

I have not played online yet but I am going to start onc I master the gens version.

Hey everyone whats up. I'am ovechkin. I have been playing 94 for 8 years (since I was 7) and started playing it on the zsnes last summer. I recently crossed over to Gens for the awesome 07/08 update.

I have not played online yet but I am going to start onc I master the gens version.

Hey,

Glad you found your way here, welcome aboard!

-Evan

• 1 month later...

Hmmm..Where to start?

Just found this game today and were really eager about the idea of playing it online.

However, using the Gens program to try to get an online game i noticed that there were lots of ppl there, but no one playing nhl94.

How sad .'(.Well...Now I'm wondering what would be the best way to play against someone. I noticed the league you folks are putting on..but is there any room left for another player?I know I prolly should do more reading and stuff, but still decided to ask these questions at the same time with registeration and introducing myself.

Anyway, im not that familiar with 94, having owned 95 for megadrive, but nevertheless this version seems better in away. Would really like to try my skills against someone. I live in Finland, so synchronising gaming times might be a bit tricky. Also, my net connection isn't exactly lightning fast; 512/256. Do you think it's sufficient anyway?

Hope to hear some illuminating stuff from staff.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm new.

NHL 94 is certainly one of my favorite games of all time, and I just found out today that it can be played on line via Emulator... lol... I feel like I just wasted the last several years not knowing this. Anyhow, I'd love to get some games in, to get back into the swing of things so to speak. I'd like to be in a league too, sounds fun. Anyway, email me if you ever want to play a game, or have info on a League I could join. I'm pretty much available all the time. nikpetro@gmail.com

Also, I played a few test games online today against an old high school buddy, and it worked smooth and fine. But I suppose I'm supposed to play a test game against an Admin to be official here.... so hit me up and we'll play! :-)

peace,

Nik

Hi. I came across this place through watching YouTube videos. Came because somebody linked to an '08 hack of this game, which is awesome. Then I found out some of you guys like to play each other online. I've never played anyone online at anything and this seems like the best place to start. I've had the Genesis version of Nhl '94 since the very beginning and the SNES version for several years now (a friend of mine still has his SNES; I've never had one). I like to think I'm pretty good but I've been reading through some of these topics and seeing people know so much about the subs on each team, and I'm just not that hardcore. Anyway I'd look forward to taking some of you on. :).

Whats up everybody! Im joe from mn. Just got an emulator and been playing 94 nonstop. cant wait to play online and the season. my aim is jtakkunen04. this sounds like an awsome website and im glad to be here!!!!

Hey everyone, my name's Roger and I'm from just south of Boston. I'm a big Bruins fan and a gaming fan. I'm a little bored with the current gen in gaming although I do like my NHL 08 on the 360. I can't tell you how excited I am about this whole scene. I look forward to reliving some of my college day when life was about Beer, Blades of Steel, Tecmo and the NHL EA games. Unfortunately I won't have a keg next to me like back then, just screaming kids <_< .

thanks

RC

aww if ur mac is new with intel stuff, u may need to instal windows because Snes9x on mac os X doesent work online..well if u find a way to make it work tell me man!!