Chris

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

Nice story, thanks for sharing it!

Can i ask how you found out about this site or what prompted you to search for it?

Just the ol' Google search for NHL 94 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks!

Great to join the community. Have wanted to get involved for a couple years now. But it wasn’t until this summer that the stars finally aligned. 

I’ve only ever played ‘94 (and only on the original console and cartridge). However, tomorrow I’ll be playing a ROM for the first time as me and my brother introduce the game to my 6 year old nephew. 

Have decided to take my nephew directly to the 2018 ROM so that he can get to know today’s league and pick his own modern day team. 

Can’t wait to play again; learn how NHL 94 has evolved these last 25 years; and get to know this community. Am amazed by what has been accomplished. :)

Cheers!

Edited by JesterKing
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a ton of fun playing the game again with my brother tonight. It’s been about 20 years?!!

We were pretty rusty but got better fast. My little nephew had a blast. He got to play with his uncle and daddy. :) He also got better as the night progressed and started to score. 

I gave my nephew Boston since he likes super villains. My brother chose McJesus and his Oilers.  

 

A couple thoughts from playing NHL94 again:

• the game was far more pixelated than I remembered (it was a huge TV, though). But I got fairly used to it

• for whatever reason, I found the Naples 2018 ROM easier to get the hang of than the Skip ROM. Not sure what the actual difference is between the two other than 75% burst speed on Naples.

• regaining the ability to leverage the game’s subtleties and nuances were much tougher than expected. I didn’t score a single pass shot  

• I learned that I have zero motivation to play the original NHL 94 version, even though it’s what I grew up with. Am just really excited to play with the new team line ups and all the bug fixes and tweaks. We just kept passing on the opportunity to play the original  

• need to upgrade one of my controllers ASAP and figure out how to get the Y button working for immediate control of the goalie. A mapping issue, probably. 

• And ... I need to work on my defense. 

Edited by JesterKing
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JesterKing said:

Was a ton of fun playing the game again with my brother tonight. It’s been about 20 years?!!

We were pretty rusty but got better fast. My little nephew had a blast. He got to play with his uncle and daddy. :) He also got better as the night progressed and started to score. 

I gave my nephew Boston since he likes super villains. My brother chose McJesus and his Oilers.  

 

A couple thoughts from playing NHL94 again:

• the game was far more pixelated than I remembered (it was a huge TV, though). But I got fairly used to it

• for whatever reason, I found the Naples 2018 ROM easier to get the hang of than the Skip ROM. Not sure what the actual difference is between the two other than 75% burst speed on Naples.

• regaining the ability to leverage the game’s subtleties and nuances were much tougher than expected. I didn’t score a single pass shot  

• I learned that I have zero motivation to play the original NHL 94 version, even though it’s what I grew up with. Am just really excited to play with the new team line ups and all the bug fixes and tweaks. We just kept passing on the opportunity to play the original  

• need to upgrade one of my controllers ASAP and figure out how to get the Y button working for immediate control of the goalie. A mapping issue, probably. 

• And ... I need to work on my defense. 

The original brings back such found memories.  I was a teenager when it first came out (damn, I'm old!) and remember playing against my brother and friends.  We had some heated matches!  It's fun reliving it now-a-days.

If memory serves, Naples builds his rom to be more like the 94 version in terms of allocating attributes a certain way.  It's a little more "true" to the original version.  He also used the sprite patch (which is a design patch, not performance), improved 3 star rating patch and the speed burst modification.  Skip's a bit more "up tempo" in how he rates players which, of course, affects how they perform on the ice and from what I gather, he uses player reputation as his guidelines.  Slapshot has assisted him with several design upgrades/updates and it always looks fanastic.  Both roms are good.  I don't think you can go wrong with either... it's all about what flavor you want...
Be sure to check out Skip's international tourney rom.  It's awesome!

If you nephew ever wants to learn more about NHL history, check out the historical roms by @CoachMac.  When I met him in NYC, we played some exis on his rom and it was a lot of fun.  He has a great approach to how he rates players and allocates attributes as well (you can do a search to learn more).  

Cheers!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JesterKing hope you stick around, bud. We always need new players, so spread the word if you think you know someone who'd like to play online or in a live tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @clockwise. Am definitely hoping to stick around.

Right now we’re just playing with an Analogue Mega Sg and an Everdrive, so no online gaming yet.   

The next step will be running an emulator (Kega Fusion?) on the Raspberry Pi that we just ordered so that we can play NHL94-2018 online. I figure it will be a another month before that comes together.  

Am having a tough time beating my brother when he uses Nashville against my Blackhawks. My players are getting over powered. So I think I’m going to insist on playing with penalties. 

Edited by JesterKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Sauce, thanks for the rundown on the differences between Naples and Skip’s version of 2018. Super helpful. And I agree - their work is amazing. 

Can’t wait to see what they do for 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everybody,

I'm also new here. I grew up with a Sega Genesis and as a wee lad played against my dad and brothers in NHL 93 (not so much 94). A few years back I got an old Sega and rediscovered the game. Originally we were most interested in setting up a good fight in 93 but I later on figured out how to deke the goalie and got hooked on the game

I have ordered a Sega USB controller and I'm wondering how I can started, play a couple test games, etc. And maybe eventually play a league? I don't know, but any help would be appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tonytwist said:

Hey everybody,

I'm also new here. I grew up with a Sega Genesis and as a wee lad played against my dad and brothers in NHL 93 (not so much 94). A few years back I got an old Sega and rediscovered the game. Originally we were most interested in setting up a good fight in 93 but I later on figured out how to deke the goalie and got hooked on the game

I have ordered a Sega USB controller and I'm wondering how I can started, play a couple test games, etc. And maybe eventually play a league? I don't know, but any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the site @tonytwist. I thought we used to have another forum member go by that name as well. So I was surprised to see that it was available. 

Reminds me of one of my favourite "The Office" quotes.

"No one steals from Creed Bratton and gets away with it.The last person to do this disappeared. His name, Creed Bratton."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, halifax said:

Welcome to the site @tonytwist. I thought we used to have another forum member go by that name as well. So I was surprised to see that it was available. 

Reminds me of one of my favourite "The Office" quotes.

"No one steals from Creed Bratton and gets away with it.The last person to do this disappeared. His name, Creed Bratton."

Haha, well for some reason his name was the first one to come to me, of all the great fighters from 93. Me and my brother used to play DET vs. DET. so we could try to get a fight that featured Probert vs. Probert, but Tony Twist was usually a valiant contender to Probert's throne.

Anyway, quick update: I've downloaded the RetroArch software and it seems to work. I've played around with uploading the different customized ROMs. Also, I have access the chat app Discord, which I understand is the way to try and track down games with others.......I'm interested in testing it out and eventually joining a league. I've registered for the Classic League (you'll see me on the waiting list). Any idea about when that will start?

 

 

Edited by tonytwist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, tonytwist said:

Oh man so it's true!! Is there a way I can alter my username?

I remember being in a class once with about 3 Brandons and 2 Brendans and it was awful for them haha

 

With the current version of Invision, username replacements are auto-generated.

Took a quick look, here are a few that are available you can switch to:

  •  Air Aki Berg
  •  Toobie Twix
  •  Barbie Melrobes
  •  Super Star Brian Bellows
  •  Thick McSkatefast
  •  Flint Hardwrister
  •  Dirk Dropgloves
  •  Segathong
  •  Shovel D. Walkway
  •  Breb Hulb


Let us know if any of those work for you.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, clockwise said:

With the current version of Invision, username replacements are auto-generated.

Took a quick look, here are a few that are available you can switch to:

  •  Air Aki Berg
  •  Toobie Twix
  •  Barbie Melrobes
  •  Super Star Brian Bellows
  •  Thick McSkatefast
  •  Flint Hardwrister
  •  Dirk Dropgloves
  •  Segathong
  •  Shovel D. Walkway
  •  Breb Hulb


Let us know if any of those work for you.

Change me to Segathong if you would @clockwise

Edited by tonytwist
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonytwist said:

Change me to Segathong if you would @clockwise

I think it's important to point out that clockwise is kidding about them being autogenerated :D

You can pick whatever you want, a mod just needs to go in and change it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, clockwise said:

Dude, you just made my week / month / year. 

@segathon

 

I just always wanted to type those words out....So now I get it....Segathon---->Segathong.....Hahaha, let's all have a good laugh:P

 

 

Edited by tonytwist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is definitive proof that I am indeed a noob, apparently a noob with an identity crisis

 

@smozoma My final answer is........change me to Ozmataz_Buckshank

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonytwist said:

This thread is definitive proof that I am indeed a noob, apparently a noob with an identity crisis

 

@smozoma My final answer is........change me to Ozmataz_Buckshank

bibbidi bobbidi Buckshank  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smozoma said:

bibbidi bobbidi Buckshank

Wow, I feel like a new man. Now show me the username I will be confused with...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're safe!

 

image.png

Maybe Buc?

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, clockwise said:

Dude, you just made my week / month / year. 

@segathon

 

So glad he didn’t take segathong otherwise I would of had to sink a container of embroidered thongs in the harbor 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just joined. It's so great to be a part of an amazing community in honour of an iconic game! Thanks to my older cousins who introduced me to the NHL series on Sega and PC!

I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. I see there are others from the area, as well.

Look forward to some great conversations + gaming!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Handzus said:

Just joined. It's so great to be a part of an amazing community in honour of an iconic game! Thanks to my older cousins who introduced me to the NHL series on Sega and PC!

I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. I see there are others from the area, as well.

Look forward to some great conversations + gaming!

 

Zeuuuuuusss!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Handzus said:

Just joined. It's so great to be a part of an amazing community in honour of an iconic game! Thanks to my older cousins who introduced me to the NHL series on Sega and PC!

I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. I see there are others from the area, as well.

Look forward to some great conversations + gaming!

 

Hey man, great to see another local on the site!

I don't really play the Genesis version, but there are a couple of Ottawa guys that are amongst the best Genesis players around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bob Kudelski Thanks for the welcome note and reaching out to let me know that you're from Ottawa too! Nice username choice too, by the way. No worries at all -- SNES or Genesis, I am sure we will all meet up soon at some point! I'll explore the forum a bit more and circle back in a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seventieslord said:

Hi everyone. Happy to be joining this year's league. Dantml7 is my brother.

Welcome my good dude.

We've had a few brothers, here; most notably @Carse & @Bo Knows NHL94

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I should do my intro. I joined because there was an NHL94 tourney in Regina, and upon doing research on the top NHL94 players in the world, I found there were some from Sask, Canada, but none from my city!! So I sought to change that. I would have won the tournament if not for Halifax driving his and his buddy Matt's ass 2.5 hours to scoop the prize. Anyways... after that, I dragged my bro (seventieslord) and my cousin (boehm23) away from their other games of choice. Fun fact: Seventieslord writes for The Hockey news and is a badass hockey historian. The last NHL game we bought as kids was NHL 97. We saved up our own money to do it. Seventieslord was 16. I was 13. Boehmer was 6. He didn't come into the picture until much later lol. 

Anyways, we had a good crew of NHL 97'ers. I do appreciate a few things from that game. fake shots were integral to getting around seventieslord's over aggressive manual goalie. he liked blocking shots, but I never utilized that much. Season mode was cool and so was Gilmour's "deke and deliver". Also being able to get up using spin-o-rama after being checked was nice. BUT, that all being said, I am getting used to 94 and can see why most consider it the best gameplay overall. 

Over the past month, I've played about 400 exis over Retroarch and helped ten other new members get set up on static IP and fort forwarding. Once I did it while I was playing an exi and the guy was flabbergasted. Most games have been against Schmidt which was quite a rude awakening. I estimate I'm about 69-321-10 over those first 400 games. While he says my skill is improving, I feel much like a mouse caught by the tail by a cat, while the cat says I'm getting really good at struggling... 

Either way, I thought I would quit after my local tourney, but I'll stick with it and probably attend any close in-person tourneys and try to improve my skill and ranking and be the first Regina player in the top 30 Sega rankings. Happy to be here. Cheers.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.