NHL'94 Forums

Offsides should be on!

Offsides should always be on.

Come on it slows the action down. Yeah. So.

Are you in a hurry?

Give your head a shake people in charge of these leagues.

Edited by JeffBC

Give your head a shake people in charge of the leagues.

Put your game pad in, put your game pad out, a little clicky here and log your ass out. That's what it's all about, yehhh.

Offsides should always be on.

It's my goal for everyone in every league to change this and put offsides on.

Come on it slows the action down.Yeah.So.Are you in a hurry?

5 minute periods are kinda puss.Should be 10.

Give your head a shake people in charge of the leagues.

I'm sure this was aimed at me. Your entitled your opinion I guess.

Offsides are part of the game.

4 seconds that's all you have to wait until the next face off.

Maybe children don't like offsides.Up and down.No thought behind it.

Offsides are part of the game.

4 seconds that's all you have to wait until the next face off.

Maybe children don't like offside.Up and down.No thought behind it.

Offsides are a part of the game to avoid rampant cherry picking by human players.

It's 8 seconds each time and will probably add about 10% downtime onto the length of the game. This is also why no one holds onto the puck with their goalie: it's just way too annoying. You could hound the other goalie to try to steal the pass or try to force a faceoff where you have a 50% chance of getting the puck back, but no one does it.. because the stoppages are too annoying!

It doesn't take thinking to ward off an offside. It takes sitting around at the blueline waiting for your moron winger to leave the zone. And that's when you can even see that he went in offside, since he usually manages to do it way off near the boards where you can't see him. And you can't pass it to him, since half the time he still skates in ahead of the puck (though I think this is less of a problem on the SNES). I guess that leaves dump-and-chase.

One aspect of offsides in the game that I like is that, even with offsides off, if the puck leaves the zone (even if you have control of it), all your guys leave the zone. So you do still need to respect the blueline, but just not when entering the zone initially. That's good enough for me. The AI is just too weak to make playing with offsides on fun. I think offsides could also reduce the advantage fast teams have over slow teams a little bit, which I think is a good thing.

If you want an offsides-on league, make one, and maybe people will get used to it and like it. You're never going to convince anyone by just telling them offsides should be on.

What about line changes? They're in the game, too, and actually require some added thought.

For those 8 seconds:

Hit a few guys, stretch or have a drink.

My guys hardly ever go offside.

I don't like line changes.

Players get too slow.

Maybe if it was the updated roster but still probably not.Too slow.

If our teams are edited and all the players have good ratings.

Like all-time teams.Yeah. :D

That's going to be great when someone edits that.

Genesis players go offside more then SNES

Puss then your playing the wrong system.

But respect that your playing 94.

SNES NHL94 plays great on Zbattle.

Too bad the Fast Forward function doesn't work online. If someone could get that working problem solved!

But otherwise of course offsides should be on. Its a natural part of the game, even in pickup hockey if someone calls for offside you respect his call.

Whats cool about 94 is that sometimes the ref makes the wrong call (though far less often than in the NHL) when its close.

Leave offsides on.

Guest Wags13
Too bad the Fast Forward function doesn't work online. If someone could get that working problem solved!

But otherwise of course offsides should be on. Its a natural part of the game, even in pickup hockey if someone calls for offside you respect his call.

Whats cool about 94 is that sometimes the ref makes the wrong call (though far less often than in the NHL) when its close.

Leave offsides on.

Line changes are a natural part of the game too, yet you have a problem with that.

Line changes are a natural part of the game too, yet you have a problem with that.

Yeah but think about pickup hockey, your lucky to get line changes, but its not cool to hang around the opposition net.

We're trying to keep things fun and fair here.

Aren't we? :D

1. offsides are initiated in sports to correct flaws in the flow of the game. a.k.a. cherry picking kills the game, let's draw a line to prevent it.

2. I play a video game. I enjoy not having to simulate reality and bore myself. Breakaways are exciting, why not have more when it's a 10 minute game?

To Wags

QUOTE(IAmFleury @ Jun 13 2007, 02:15 PM)

Wags, haven't you learned your lesson about trash talking yet?

It's great I made this topic. Offsides should be on.

I get plenty of breakaways with offsides on.

SNES of course. B)

You think they should be off?

If so then your mental!

Like a little child that doesn't understand what a blue line is that just wants to shoot the puck around blindfolded.

Wags your a jerk.

Don't respond to my topics.

Wag your little tail away from me Catwoman.

I must respect hockey rules more because I'm Canadian.

It feels cheesy to score on a guy being offside.

2 on 2 games should also be offside on.

Can you imagine the cherry picking without it.

I'm not saying I won't play with offsides off.It's just sad.

Your playing an NHL product and not following the rules

the NHL has in place for cherry pickers.

I'd cherry pick like everybody else and cheapen the game and win big time.

I'd hang around the opponents net and have Case feeding me great passes

non stop for easy break away (bread and butter) goals.

SNES doesn't have 2 on 2 online yet so

I'll ask you Genesis guys

How's the 2 on 2 league going?

Offsides on?Any problems?

Can you have a 2 on 2 game online with just 6 guys on the ice including the goalies

and edit all the other guys out?

That way you guys won't have that problem with the computer guys going offside.

If so how's that?

What if a guy gets knocked out of the game or gets a penalty?

Are there a few guys on the bench as reserves?

Can you go 5 on 5 online?

Does it work okay?

Offsides on?

If all the players were good there shouldn't be too many offsides.

2 on 2 games should also be offside on.

Can you imagine the cherry picking without it.

I'm not saying I won't play with offsides off.It's just sad.

Your playing an NHL product and not following the rules

The NHL has in place for cherry pickers.

I'd cherry pick like everybody else and cheapen the game and win big time.

I'd hang around the opponents net and have Case feeding me great passes

non stop for easy break away (bread and butter) goals.

SNES doesn't have 2 on 2 online yet so

I'll ask you Genesis guys

How's the 2 on 2 league going?

Offsides on?Any problems?

Can you have a 2 on 2 game online with just 6 guys on the ice including the goalies

and edit all the other guys out?

That way you guys won't have that problem with the computer guys going offside.

If so how's that?

What if a guy gets knocked out of the game or gets a penalty?

Are there a few guys on the bench as reserves?

Can you go 5 on 5 online?

Does it work okay?

Offsides on?

If all the players were good there shouldn't be too many offsides.

Jeff, the 2on2 league that was going on did consist of just the 6 guys on the ice at the same time. It's a very fun dynamic. We actually played with offsides off. You would think that it would be easy to cherry pick but it's really not. It's difficult especially b/c the screen stays where the puck is. As soon as your guy moves off the screen, he's in no man's land. Moreover, passing with a human controlled teammate is a feat in itself so it's better %s to keep him closer. Also long passes are pretty easy to intercept. With speed bursts, you can usually get to them. I actually like the option to cherry pick if you want to though. You have to keep the other team guessing and switch up your strategy once in awhile.

There are reserves on the bench if someone were to get hurt. Penalties are turned off b/c there are only a couple reserves. Also, to even the playing field, all the players are rated the same by position. That is, all the Centers have the same ratings, as do all the Left Wings and the Goalies.

But going back to the original discussion, I would prefer to play with offsides off (b/c the AI doesn't adjust well in the Gens version)... but I don't think having offsides on or off is better or worse, it's just a different game.

I hardly ever play with offsides on since I just think it's plain boring and that's not what I look for in games. Simple as that.

Though in the NHL 2K series I tend to leave it on, since it suits that kind of game better. In a matter of fact many of the newer games work quite well with offsides. But I prefer having it turned on on the 9x games snes/gens...

And yeah, there's quite a difference between snes and gens regarding offsides, as I played a couple of games on gens this weekend. It was rather odd on gens, don't really remember what it was, but it has something to do with the "offside image" with the ref appearing to late, disappearing or something like that.

I think that I overall like non sim games the best... Though I do like the others as well. :þ

Guest Wags13
I must respect hockey rules more because I'm Canadian.

Well no offense, but the "Canadian" style of hockey has had more to do with the game's overall fall off in popularity, TV ratings, revenues, etc. more than any other single reason.

Secondly, you act as if the no offsides games we play feature goalies passing the puck 80% of the ice to a guy down on the opponent's red line for an uncontested shot..thats simply not the case..and I think most people here would back me up on that.. the players here are too good to let that happen and you'd be lucky to have a pass make it out of your end to the red line before being picked off.

• 2 weeks later...

Offsides in real life largely prevents the threat of cherry-picking, but I've never figured out how to cherry pick in single-player '94... If I'm always controlling the puck I can't just send a winger to camp out near the crease. So if all offsides is going to do is prevent me from bringing the puck into the zone when my stupid AI winger is a few feet in front of me, I'm not feeling like the prophylactic trade-off is worth the whistles.

Well no offense, but the "Canadian" style of hockey has had more to do with the game's overall fall off in popularity, TV ratings, revenues, etc. more than any other single reason.

Secondly, you act as if the no offsides games we play feature goalies passing the puck 80% of the ice to a guy down on the opponent's red line for an uncontested shot..thats simply not the case..and I think most people here would back me up on that.. the players here are too good to let that happen and you'd be lucky to have a pass make it out of your end to the red line before being picked off.

woah wtf are you talking about wags, "canadian style" wtf? Can you define that.... wow that has gota be the most ignorant statement i've ever seen on these forums. Do you watch international hockey? World Junior championships (im betting americans havn't heard of it) or the olympics, what countries trap? Finland, Sweden, Swiss, germany. What is Canadian style hockey? Hard hitting, Fast paced, skilled hockey.

lmao Canadian hockey is to blame? Its fkn Americans who dont watch it. Yes lets show them the swedish elite league with 100% trapping all game. Im sure all those GREAT hidden hockey fans in the States are waiting for that because Canadian hockey has been the biggest reason for Americans not giving a s**t about a hockey. Im sure every sport having huge rating fall offs has nothing to do with it? And the fact that American media do nothing to promote the game, ESPN shows no highlights...so dumbasses like you believe nobody watches.

Lets see some American Hockey in the NHL, everybody will start watching versus then. Wait, wtf is american hockey? What is it wago?