NHL'94 Forums

SNES Representation

First of all, Evan well done. You beat me (and probably many others) to the punch in creating this very fine website. Its very clean and well organized (with the possible exception of online how-to's). Years ago I searched the internet for a website with this very name and came up with nothing. I tried to grab the domain name but it was not to be, someone had taken it but there was still no site. Years later I tried again and 'Voila'!, it was as if I had travelled to the future and saw my very own labour had paid off. So again, I'm very proud of you for making this all happen and for it to be way better than I could of managed.

So now an interesting point has come to mind. As the time honoured tradition of SNES vs. Genesis battles on one cant help but wonder: is my preferred system under represented? A Genesis player could hardly complain there isn't enough players to go around, enough variously edited roms to use and most noticeably it is the system of choice of the adminsitrator. As a SNES player I feel lucky that this site is here, excited that there are so many people playing the game and thrilled that it can be edited and played online (though right now only one on one). But still something is missing. I feel under represented and want there to be a SNES Equal to Evan. Somebody from this site. Not me, but someone just as passionate for it. I can think of a few names but I'll leave that up for debate.

Basically this person should keep a biased eye on SNES related problems such as online play and quite frankly getting a bloody move on with multiple online play. They should pretty much be like Trevor Linden is to the players within the NHLPA.

LINDEN!

Again Evan great site but it seems to me that the Genesis gets all the attention in the world and I would love for there to be a strong SNES presence at the top.

Case,

I like your points and I agree that this site is "Genesis heavy". You guessed it, I've been playing the Gens NHL94 since it came out. It's mostly what I know for NHL94. I've played the Snes version a bunch of times, and do agree it has its strengths. I strongly feel that whichever system you play often first will most likely be the one you stick with (always are exceptions). I don't think anyone could ever convince me to play Snes all the time and dump Gens. The same probably goes for you.

In no way is this site trying to be biased towards Snes. To be honest, you should give me some credit for making the Classic 94 leagues Gens and Snes. Most other guys wouldn't even consider that. I felt it was only fair to have both consoles because they are loved by NHL94 players. I really hope Halifax's league does well to keep Snes leagues active, and hope you have a good experience there.

Mat Schwartz has the passion you seek for Snes. His presence hasn't been here much lately, but I think he's your man. During our leagues, he was keeping the Snes guys going and making sure any problems were resolved.

I know Snes is the minority and that's nothing I have control over, but just know that I see both as equal and hope more Snes players join the community to even it out.

-Evan

Case, I'm in no way speaking for Evan by any means, I just wanted to provide my input to your concern. I do agree with you that SNES is under represented on this site. At the same time, the Gens version simply receives more attention b/c there are a greater number of people who are producing roms, hacks and taking a more active role in generating leagues for Gens. I think that is due to the sheer numbers of Gens players vs SNES players in this community. Gens coaches are in the fortunate position of having guys like Dmitri, Mack, Jesus (clockwise) and a number of others who are manipulating the game for the purpose of generating leagues and further interest.

The Genesis Draft League is a great example of a league that took off and Evan showed his appreciation by linking it up with this site. I have no doubt that if this were the case with a SNES satellite league that had a strong following, Evan would incorporate it in the same way.

Even though I am not a SNES player, this is a community for all NHL94 players and I like the fact that we represent both versions on this site. Evan doesn't even play in the SNES league and yet, he is the admin for the Gens and SNES spring/fall leagues. I can't imagine the time it takes to devote to both. Evan can only do so much as the admin for this site but it takes the efforts of the people here to help us get to the next level.

Is there anyone on the SNES end that has played around with developing an editor like Old Skool? That would be amazing if there was. I think that program alone (especially b/c it's so user friendly) has provided the Gens players with a tool where they can raise further interest with all sorts of modified roms.

Just keep in mind that there is no equivalent of Evan for even the Gens side here. He is the admin of this site. He coordinates the operations and his leagues. The rest is what everyone else decides to contribute no matter which system you prefer.

I think snes is pretty well represented (with roms, emulators and other info) on the nhl94.com site, but maybe not on the forum, in fact, some of the genesis players are really unfriendly towards snes players (though this goes the other way as well in some cases). I think that might have "scared" off some potential players.

I for one do not play online. I play with a friend from time to time. And fool around with the snes roms pretty much all the time. I've began work on an editor, but I'm nowhere close to being able to create something like nose, right now it doesn't feel like I'll be able to complete the small things even... I have however made a tool where you can sort of play a season mode (by extracting stats from savestates to an excel spread sheet) that works pretty well. Not released yet though as it's not user friendly. I've made some progress in making it easier to use, but some way to go before I even plan to release it...

Evan: I think it would be a good idea to add the NHL '94 editor that IS available for snes to the "multimedia - download" page. Maybe add the 1.51 version of zsnes (although it doesn't support netplay it does have features like exporting to xvid (avi) !). If you haven't got the editor mentioned I can send it to you or up it here. And how come nose isn't on there? I can see why there's not an actual download link, but maybe redirection to http://www.hexaddicts.com/nose/ and some quick info about it, or is that already available somewhere? Can't find it on the main page either (only a link to the nose forum).

I think snes is pretty well represented (with roms, emulators and other info) on the nhl94.com site, but maybe not on the forum, in fact, some of the genesis players are really unfriendly towards snes players (though this goes the other way as well in some cases). I think that might have "scared" off some potential players.

You have to be kidding. You feel that Gens players are "bullying" the SNES guys so much so that it has resulted in a lack of interest from potential SNES players??? Maybe I just need to take a Sensitivity Training Course (Evan, would you care to add a link on this site for that as well?) but that reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.

What fun would it be if we didn't debate our preferred system from every so often?

Who else could we share that with who would actually care outside of this site?

The Gens and SNES guys have their debates from time to time but why would that scare anyone off? Besides, the door swings both ways with the jabs that are thrown on the forum.

Above all and most importantly, there is a common understanding with everyone that makes up this community regardless of the systerm you play... one of the SNES guys (I believe it's Jeff) has said it best a couple times after he's finished making his point in response to one of those Gens/SNES debate threads... "But respect that it's still 94". I think it's a great way to ground everything b/c as heated as it sometimes gets on the forum, that point is something we can all agree with.

You have to be kidding. You feel that Gens players are "bullying" the SNES guys so much so that it has resulted in a lack of interest from potential SNES players??? Maybe I just need to take a Sensitivity Training Course (Evan, would you care to add a link on this site for that as well?) but that reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.

Hmm.. Aight.. Sorry I brought it off topic, that wasn't the point of that post, just a guess on one of the reasons that snes aren't that well represented on the forum. I recall that it's been discussed before and people agreed that it might be one reason.. And I mean if some newbie comes in and state that he/she plays snes and then gets instantly flamed about it with "snes sucks you retard" and stuff like that, it's not like the noob will stay around for the fun of it.

The reason I hang around is cause I like to hack and most people are cool and helpful, there are just a few, not even a handful that are a bit over the edge sometimes, nothing that I care about really, but it's hard to ignore. I might be wrong, maybe there just are that few snes players, heh.. I'm sorry if I sometimes express myself oddly, as English isnt my native language, I feel/notice that I tend to exaggerate some expressions and such from time to time.

Peace out! B)

To some degree I feel responsible for what ever perceived negativity there is towards the Snes guys. The NHL '94 experiment I did a while ago generated some animosity though I was only messing around, Jeff and Case took offence in particular, but I've never seen any flagrant bashing of Snes players on the boards.

As for the volume of Gens players this probably has to do with the fact that Genesis was on top in the early 90's during the epic console war between Sega and Nintendo, and more copies were sold for Genesis. Eventually by 95 or so Snes retook command of the market share in the US but Genesis (Mega Drive) remained the #1 console in Europe during it's life span, probably due to the fanbase already built by Sega's Master System.

And Evan has to be given props for holding a league for the Snes guys. How many dudes would do that for a game they don't even play?

To some degree I feel responsible for what ever perceived negativity there is towards the Snes guys. The NHL '94 experiment I did a while ago generated some animosity though I was only messing around, Jeff and Case took offence in particular, but I've never seen any flagrant bashing of Snes players on the boards.

As for the volume of Gens players this probably has to do with the fact that Genesis was on top in the early 90's during the epic console war between Sega and Nintendo, and more copies were sold for Genesis. Eventually by 95 or so Snes retook command of the market share in the US but Genesis (Mega Drive) remained the #1 console in Europe during it's life span, probably due to the fanbase already built by Sega's Master System.

And Evan has to be given props for holding a league for the Snes guys. How many dudes would do that for a game they don't even play?

I always felt that Genesis gave way to PlayStation, not SNES. I'm not an expert though.

I always felt that Genesis gave way to PlayStation, not SNES. I'm not an expert though.

Sega dug thier own grave and marked their own headstone in the console scene by making poor buisness decisions with Sega CD / Saturn and games, hot games like 'Marky Mark': Make my Video."

Also making the most expensive game ever at the time in 2000: 'Shenmue' a 70 Million dollar 5 disk epic for Dreamcast that didn't sell well due to poor advertising in the US was the final nail in the coffin.

Sega dug thier own grave and marked their own headstone in the console scene by making poor buisness decisions with Sega CD / Saturn and games, hot games like 'Marky Mark': Make my Video."

Also making the most expensive game ever at the time in 2000: 'Shenmue' a 70 Million dollar 5 disk epic for Dreamcast that didn't sell well due to poor advertising in the US was the final nail in the coffin.

Right, Dreamcast, I forgot about that. That solidifies my memory a bit... I feel like generationally it went something like:

Nintendo over the fact that there were no reasonable alternatives

Genesis over SNES

PlayStation over Dreamcast, Nintendo64

PS2 and XBox seem like a virtual tie to me, over GameCube

And too early to tell really who's going to win the current battle, but it looks like XBox360 and Wii are both pretty popular compared with PS3, and going after different markets.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO START SOME SORT OF BATTLE ABOUT SYSTEM AWESOMENESS. This is just my foggy perception/recollection. I'm not invested in which system was technically better or whatever (I think I've owned about 60% of that list, at least one from each major manufacturer), this is just my impression - if I wandered into someone's apartment/dorm room, these are the consoles I would have mostly expected to see based on market penetration. I'm not sure I ever randomly saw a Dreamcast hooked up in someone's room.

Nintendo over the fact that there were no reasonable alternatives

WHAT? The sega master system wasn't a reasonable alternative!?!?! :dal_skater_hand_grab: