NHL'94 Forums

is there anything you can do to make the computer decent?

I try to put all goons and chumps and stiffs in, pull my goalie, play against the all-star teams...

...but I can't seem to lose to the computer.

anybody have "success" in this quest?

I try to put all goons and chumps and stiffs in, pull my goalie, play against the all-star teams...

Things I do to make it a little tougher, is don't do the easy goals like accross the crease. I also lay off the c button on defense since the computer is not that great at dodging checks.

Pull your goalie. That should give you a good, fun challenge. And keep your chumps in too.

-Evan

• 2 weeks later...

so I play with Calgary, sub in the scrubs (Reese included) and only shoot with Greg Smyth (29 rating overall) and I still shut them (whomever, Allstar teams included) out by huge numbers. one time, Bure scored on me, so it was like 9-1. I need live players because the computer sucks.

Pull your goalie. That should give you a good, fun challenge. And keep your chumps in too.
I pull the goalie when I'm going for record goals. the sixth skater helps a little bit, but the quick goal in my defensive end brings a quick faceoff and saves time for my next goal. I can routinely get over one hundred goals with my goalie pulled. they end up scoring like twenty or thirty against me.

and, to your point, yes, it's possible to lose with scrubs and a pulled goalie. not much fun, but it is possible to lose.

....some of us don't have friends to play with....

right?! my NHLers are all over the place and not within an hour of me, so I need new competition. why aren't any of y'all in Boston?!

Try keeping "score" by leaving your goalie in, but requiring yourself to have more goals at the end of the game than the computer has shots on goal. I've found that satisfies my competitive jones.

1 vs 5 can be very challenging.

Used to play this game where I'd get one chance to score. If I miss, I would switch to goalie and wait until I make a save or until the CPU gets the puck or my tender gains possession from a shot, then I'd try to get a scoring chance; rinse repeat.

5xinlaq.gif

You can always try our old cartridge that for some reason is now the hardest version of 94 on the market... :D

You can always try our old cartridge that for some reason is now the hardest version of 94 on the market....
two questions:

1. what cartridge; a hack or are you saying your personal copy seems to be harder than others?

2. is one on five something you can do with Genesis cartridge NHL '94? that'd be a reason to play it, I guess.

my new thing is:

seven-game playoff rounds

5 minute periods

penalties on

line changes on

unedited lines

only shooting with one-timers.

was beating "Bufaffalo" by one goal per game (as the Rangers) until the game froze on an offside one-timer.

replacing the cartridge and trying again.

2. is one on five something you can do with Genesis cartridge NHL '94? that'd be a reason to play it, I guess.

I think he means once you get the puck, you can't pass it; you can only shoot it. Once the computer gets the puck, you have to be the goalie until the goalie gets the puck. Then you pass it to one of your guys, and he's not allowed to pass it, only shoot.. then they get the puck and you have to be the goalie.. etc

I think he means once you get the puck, you can't pass it; you can only shoot it. Once the computer gets the puck, you have to be the goalie until the goalie gets the puck. Then you pass it to one of your guys, and he's not allowed to pass it, only shoot.. then they get the puck and you have to be the goalie.. etc

it shows a picture of one-on-five.

did the one-timers only thing and managed to lose one game (as New York; I forget who to, it was last week) in the playoffs. so, one out of seventeen is okay. next time, a shittier team.

i just want to vouch for the idea of pulling your goalie and putting in bums, i just started trying it a few days ago and i just finished my stanley cup playoff run with the quebec nordiques.

5 minute periods, penalties-no offsides, 7 game series.

conference quarters: win 4-0 vs penguins

conference semis: win 4-3 vs canadiens

conference finals: win 4-3 vs flyers

stanley cup finals: win 4-3 vs red wings

It seemed like as i went deeper and deeper i became more and more of a joke on home ice as i couldnt ever seem to win a game at home...game 6 at home against detroit was especially pathetic as i lost 12-4. But i managed to pull out three different game 7s with the starting line up of...

lw: Tony Twist 29g-32a-61p

c: Gino Cavallini 50g-70a-120p

rw: Chris Simon 73g-38a-111p

ld: Steve Finn 15g-18a-33p

rd: Craig Wolanin 10g-27a-37p

xa: Scott Young 46g-33a-79p

• 2 weeks later...
i just want to vouch for the idea of pulling your goalie and putting in bums, i just started trying it a few days ago and i just finished my stanley cup playoff run with the quebec nordiques.

5 minute periods, penalties-no offsides, 7 game series.

conference quarters: win 4-0 vs penguins

conference semis: win 4-3 vs canadiens

conference finals: win 4-3 vs flyers

stanley cup finals: win 4-3 vs red wings

It seemed like as i went deeper and deeper i became more and more of a joke on home ice as i couldnt ever seem to win a game at home...game 6 at home against detroit was especially pathetic as i lost 12-4. But i managed to pull out three different game 7s with the starting line up of...

lw: Tony Twist 29g-32a-61p

c: Gino Cavallini 50g-70a-120p

rw: Chris Simon 73g-38a-111p

ld: Steve Finn 15g-18a-33p

rd: Craig Wolanin 10g-27a-37p

xa: Scott Young 46g-33a-79p

I tried this as well with the Flames...

Conference Quarterfinals: Won Series against Vancouver, 4-0

Conference Semifinals: Won Series against Chicago, 4-2 (missed out on a match-up with Detroit)

Conference Finals: Won Series against St. Louis, 4-1

Stanley Cup Finals: Won Series against Buffalo, 4-2 (missed out on a match-up with Pittsburgh)

Greg Paslawski: 43-41-84

Craig Berube: 44-37-81

Ronnie Stern: 55-36-91

Alexander Godynyuk: 16-41-57

Greg Smyth: 5-21-26

Robert Reichel: 48-56-104

only five goals with Smyth?

I like playing games where he's the only one allowed to shoot. that plus goalie pulled (plus all scrubs) equals a loss.

trudatman, get the 1on1 rom, play agaisnt the computer with the worst goalie possible and a scrub. If you lose control of the puck, switch to the goalie until you get control of the puck back. It's a decent challenge if you play the allstars.

I can't ROM. thanks, though.

two questions:

1. what cartridge; a hack or are you saying your personal copy seems to be harder than others?

Well on the cartridge you play as one team (you can be any of the six players at a given time) against the computer. It's the same on the emulator...right? ( I hardly ever play the emulator) But this cartridge we have for the genesis is EVIL!!!! It's Evan's original cartridge (the first ever 94 he got). It doesn't keep records anymore, and it goes into what Evan and I lovingly call "MODE." Which is to say that no matter what team you are if you are playing the computer (no matter who the computer is) they put down defense that would make the Devils look like they are offensive machines!

Well on the cartridge you play as one team (you can be any of the six players at a given time) against the computer. It's the same on the emulator...right? ( I hardly ever play the emulator) But this cartridge we have for the genesis is EVIL!!!! It's Evan's original cartridge (the first ever 94 he got). It doesn't keep records anymore, and it goes into what Evan and I lovingly call "MODE." Which is to say that no matter what team you are if you are playing the computer (no matter who the computer is) they put down defense that would make the Devils look like they are offensive machines!

please describe this in greater detail. anybody else have similar results?

oh, and please post a video of said phenomenon. thanks!