NHL'94 Forums

cheap way to score

chris1inca

there is a cheap way to score in the game. it involves skating right in front of the goalie crease and the goalie not following fast enough resulting in a open goal. basically it works every time and if someone is using it against someone who is not the game is unbalanced.

anyone else notice this. it is a huge debate among me and my friends. i, and most of my friends, feel it is a cheap way to score and have a gentlemans code against using it. some people still use it and say if its in the game you might as well use it.

does anyone know what im talking about???

Guest BSDaemon

Yes, we dont allow these goals as a house rule. we realize that it can be stopped with goalie control on, but even still... if we catch ourselves skating in front like thta, we turn away

This cheap goal talk is a bunch of crap!

I hate it when people say you shouldnt be allowed to do 'cheap goals'.

What is the definition of a 'cheap goal'?

I mean if you shouldnt do this 'cheap goal', then why you allowed to do the many other 'cheap goals' in the game?

Get over it, try and stop it(Manual Goalie Control or good Defense skill) or dont play the game online!

thegr8, its a cheap goal b/c it works every time. there is no other shot in the game which results in such a wide open goal and an easy shot every freaking time.

also, it makes no sense that the goal is that wide open. really, why would the goalie not follow the player if he skates right in front of the crease. the goal is wide open every time. any other way of scoring takes a degree of skill or luck, whereas once you learn this trick you can find a wide open net every time.

i realize there are things you can do to prevent the goal (manual goalie / defense), but its still bullshit.

thegr8, its a cheap goal b/c it works every time. there is no other shot in the game which results in such a wide open goal and an easy shot every freaking time.

also, it makes no sense that the goal is that wide open. really, why would the goalie not follow the player if he skates right in front of the crease. the goal is wide open every time. any other way of scoring takes a degree of skill or luck, whereas once you learn this trick you can find a wide open net every time.

i realize there are things you can do to prevent the goal (manual goalie / defense), but its still bullshit.

I will now argue that this technique is a good thing.

I used to think that it was cheap, but then I saw the error of my ways.

Essentially, when a player holds the puck in the opposing zone and it's crowded, does he have *any* other way to score without a one-timer? In this case, it'd be nearly impossible to skate in on the goalkeeper like on a breakaway because of all the traffic. A regular slapshot that you might see in a game (such as a slapshot from the blue line or the side) will always be saved. What choice does the player have? He can either try to skate across the goal, or try to set up a one-timer, but that pretty much involves skating the player around the zone hoping for an opening (which doesn't happen too often). Without the threat of a goal from skating across the crease, the opposing player can just sit on a one-timer pass and almost completely snuff those out.

It's important for players to be able to score when the offensive zone is crowded so that he doesn't have to back out, pull out the D, and try again.

I don't understand. In the first paragraph you say it works every time, but in the last paragraph you say you can prevent it ???

Guest BSDaemon

Well I'm glad the bitching doesnt apply to me... since I clearly stated it was a house rule. I hold nothing against somebody I play who scores on my like this...

• 2 weeks later...

I get into arguments over this with other players. We used to have the no cheap goal rule, but recently my roomate and I have moved to allowing it, while some of the people we play with on an irregular basis refuse to. Here are my reasons why:

1. With goalie control on, it's incredibly easy to stop. If you can't control your goalie, that's your own fault.

2. It allows opponents to plant a defenceman in front of the net, cutting off all one time lanes, so you're forced to essentialy cycle to the point or bring your player out of the corner/behind the net, and your opponent knows exactly what you're going to do.

3. There can be so many arguments over if it really was "cheap" (i.e. what angle you came at etc. etc.) it's not worth the hassle.

4. If you are disallowing the goal because the computer can't save it pretty much every time, you should also disallow the triple deke, as I can score the triple deke goal probably 98 times out of 100. In fact, I think scoring with the triple deke is easier than cutting out across the crease.

In the end, if you're playing with manual goaltending, everything should go. Anyone who disallows the goal is simply admitting they aren't good enough to stop it, and therefore want to give themselves an advantage over a more skilled player.

HEY Nate your comments are terrific. I play with my own sons who "hate" cheap goals! But I say " whatever?!' To me theree are no cheap goals and I'm taking what they're giving... if there's no defense for cutting in front of the net- too bad! The computer takes away all kinds of options indiscriminately so people "Just shut up and play"

HEY Nate your comments are terrific. I play with my own sons who "hate" cheap goals! But I say " whatever?!' To me theree are no cheap goals and I'm taking what they're giving... if there's no defense for cutting in front of the net- too bad! The computer takes away all kinds of options indiscriminately so people "Just shut up and play"

If you're playing on Genesis (which if I recall has no manual goalie control) there's an argument to be had for the no cheap goals, but I'd still be in favour of allowing them. On SNES there's no excuse for not allowing them.

Guest BSDaemon

For me its not the fact that you scored a 'cheap goal'. The problem i have is when they do it again and again, and that's their only way to score.

If you're playing on Genesis (which if I recall has no manual goalie control) there's an argument to be had for the no cheap goals, but I'd still be in favour of allowing them. On SNES there's no excuse for not allowing them.

Yep it s Genesis we play but I have tried the other and I simply don't care... Almost everybody here, Long Island, likes highscoring games so why complain?

You're upset they keep on pulling the same move? If your opponent is that predictable and does such an EASILY preventable goal with great frequency it's a reflection on you, not him (no offence, but it's true). If my roomate keeps on planting himself in the middle of the slot to prevent the pass I'm going to walk right in and score over and over until he starts protecting it.

Again, I'm talking SNES, Genesis is a different story.

Also, let me note:

In REAL LIFE giving a player unobstructed access to the front of the net (i.e. being able to skate in front, and across the crease) without being hit would result in a goal the majority of the time as well.

Think about it. Take an average player, let's say a Chad Kilger (on the maple leafs). You put him at the side of the net and allow him to walk out and skate in the crease without any obstruction, and I'd say he'd score 50+ times out of 100.

Guest BSDaemon
You're upset they keep on pulling the same move? If your opponent is that predictable and does such an EASILY preventable goal with great frequency it's a reflection on you, not him (no offence, but it's true). If my roomate keeps on planting himself in the middle of the slot to prevent the pass I'm going to walk right in and score over and over until he starts protecting it.

Again, I'm talking SNES, Genesis is a different story.

Also, let me note:

In REAL LIFE giving a player unobstructed access to the front of the net (i.e. being able to skate in front, and across the crease) without being hit would result in a goal the majority of the time as well.

Think about it. Take an average player, let's say a Chad Kilger (on the maple leafs). You put him at the side of the net and allow him to walk out and skate in the crease without any obstruction, and I'd say he'd score 50+ times out of 100.

Cool. Are you going to come play me and teach me how to stop those shots then? I can't stop them because until a couple weeks ago, we were never allowed to score them before. Soo.... unless you're willing to personally help me, you can stop going on about how you can EASILY stop them. Because yeah, sure. You can EASILY stop them if you know how.

it is def a crappy way to get scored on and the crew i play with we have always called it a "CUT". basically a player is cutting in front of the net...you know the rest...anyway among us we always play without these goals but playing online is dif, i hate it and every time i get scored on like that i want to puke but ultimately stopping it will make me and you a better player

BUT I STILL HATE IT :D

Guest BSDaemon

The main thing I dislike about it, isn't the fact that they did it. Because I know I can just go do it back. It's that people tend to play without scoring like that, until they are down a couple goals and get desperate. It's like the whole game changes.

That is my favorite goal, and it is bread and butter in NHL'92 which has no manual goalie. Basically it comes down to defense, checking, holding, stealing the puck, or in NHL'94 just moving your goalie a quarter of an inch. Anyone who doens't try to stop it is lazy, and deserves to have 10 of these scored on them per game.

The only cheap shot I think, is the "cheese fake", or triple deke. I think that is the cheapest shot of all, but for better or worse it is part of the game.

Manual goal tending is part of NHL'94. If you don't have decent manual goalie skills, you will not fare well in any serious league.