NHL'94 Forums

"Ten years ago a crack commando unit .....

jenzie

..... was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from ..... "

oops, that's from the A-TEAM :)

*sorry about the caps, as i c&p'd it from a webpage*

IN 1992, WHEN THE `SEGA MEGADRIVE` WAS AT IT`S HEIGHT IN POPULARITY THERE WAS A GAME AVAILABLE FOR IT THAT I RENTED OUT OF THE LOCAL COMPUTER SHOP. IT WAS CALLED `EA HOCKEY`. IT WAS A POPULAR GAME AT THE TIME AND IT STILL STANDS THE TEST OF TIME TODAY.

MY FIRST FEW GAMES I OBVIOUSLY LOST, BUT AS I GREW IN CONFIDENCE IN PLAYING I GOT BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER. IT DIDN`T TAKE ME LONG TO BE A MASTER OF THE GAME AND SOON I WAS UNBEATABLE AT IT.

BUT PLAYING IT WASN`T ENOUGH FOR ME THEN AS I STARTED ACTUALLY WATCHING THE COMPUTER PLAY ITSELF, AND IT ACTUALLY PLAYED PRETTY GOOD. SO I DECIDED TO SET UP A ORGANIZATION CALLED THE `WORLD HOCKEY LEAGUE` OR W.H.L. AND CREATED A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR THE TEAMS TO PLAY IN. THE FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP HAD A QUALIFYING ROUND OF 12 TEAMS AND THE SIX WINNERS WENT THROUGH TO PLAY IN THE FIRST ROUND OF 4 GROUPS OF 4 TEAMS. THE WINNERS AND RUNNERS UP WAS DRAWN INTO QUARTER-FINALS AND THE RESULTANT WINNERS, INTO THE SEMI FINALS. THE LOSERS WOULD PLAY-OFF FOR THIRD PLACE WHILE THE WINNERS WOULD PLAY IN THE FINAL. THE NEXT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS HAD 20 TEAMS IN 4 GROUPS OF FIVE.

OVER THE YEARS I ENJOYED IT SO MUCH I STARTED SETTING UP OTHER COMPETITIONS AND SOON IT BECAME A HOBBY OF MINE TO WATCH AND RECORD THE SCORES OF THE MATCHES.

THE BIGGEST STEP FOR ME WAS TO SET UP AN ENTIRE SEASON, COVERING SEVERAL MONTHS IN REAL TIME. THIS INCLUDED AN ACTUAL LEAGUE SET-UP WHICH COMPRISED OF 3 DIVISIONS; TWO DIVISIONS OF 8 TEAMS AND ONE OF 6, COMPRISING THE BEST TEAMS AT THAT TIME, PLAYING BOTH HOME AND AWAY; TWO CUP COMPETITIONS; THE WHL CUP WHICH IS A KNOCKOUT CONPETITION OVER TWO LEGS; THE WORLD CUP WHICH IS ANOTHER KNOCKOUT COMPETITION BUT WAS ONLY ONE GAME AND A LONGER MATCH; THE WHL EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS AND THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

now ..... the year is 1986 ..... and NASA has launched the last of it's deep-space probes!

commandered by WILLIAM "BUCK" ROGERS .....

oh wait, that's the start of BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY

:D

right, the real stuff ..... ever since i started to play, then simulate EA HOCKEY and NHL93 ..... i've always wanted to have more teams in the game, as 22 were never enough, and 22 is never a great number to work with anyway! i was searching YOUTUBE for something unrelated to NHL94 and came across clips for the game, and read some of the views on a clip ..... and spotted a link to this site!

and lo and behold, editing the game became a horrible reality for me!!

and i am about to prep for another simmed season with EA HOCKEY, to start, as always, in august!

i have further questions later, but let's just say ..... i am VERY happy the modding scene has reached the BEST ice hockey game for the megadrive / genesis! (upto when nhl95 was released of course :( )

I converted the all-caps text to lower case (many text editors have a feature to do this hidden somewhere). If you don't mind, you can do an edit of your post and copy/paste it in so people don't need to read the all-caps :)

Cool stuff, there's a sim league around here, too.. http://oshlhockey.com/ But it seems to be down right now.

----------------------------

In 1992, when the `sega megadrive` was at it`s height in popularity there was a game available for it that i rented out of the local computer shop. it was called `ea hockey`. it was a popular game at the time and it still stands the test of time today.

my first few games i obviously lost, but as i grew in confidence in playing i got better and better and better. it didn`t take me long to be a master of the game and soon i was unbeatable at it.

but playing it wasn`t enough for me then as i started actually watching the computer play itself, and it actually played pretty good. so i decided to set up a organization called the `world hockey league` or w.h.l. and created a world championships for the teams to play in. the first championship had a qualifying round of 12 teams and the six winners went through to play in the first round of 4 groups of 4 teams. the winners and runners up was drawn into quarter-finals and the resultant winners, into the semi finals. the losers would play-off for third place while the winners would play in the final. the next world championships had 20 teams in 4 groups of five.

over the years i enjoyed it so much i started setting up other competitions and soon it became a hobby of mine to watch and record the scores of the matches.

the biggest step for me was to set up an entire season, covering several months in real time. this included an actual league set-up which comprised of 3 divisions; two divisions of 8 teams and one of 6, comprising the best teams at that time, playing both home and away; two cup competitions; the whl cup which is a knockout conpetition over two legs; the world cup which is another knockout competition but was only one game and a longer match; the whl european championships and the world championships

----------------------------

oh you did, did you :D

'caus i see what you did there .....

thought it would make for a more DRAMATIC effect!!!!

and about the generous offer of joining an online league ..... sorry, but i'm not into that, i like to sim games myself ..... maybe later :)