NHL'94 Forums

Any other sports games even close to NHL94?

I'm a huge fan of NHL94 (have been since 1994) and this site is awesome! I'm just curious if there are any other classic 16-bit sports games (besides other NHL ones of course) with the depth of play of NHL94. Perhaps some other EA Sports game? How about any of the Basketball or Football titles? Madden 97 is pretty good for the Genesis (although I still prefer playing NHL94). Does any other classic sports game even have a site dedicated to it like this one?

I play NHL94 on my T-Moble Dash cell phone (Windows Mobile 6) using the Genesis emulator PicoDrive 1.52. It works great! (although the stats screens are not readable and have to turn sound off for full speed)

I play NHL94 on my T-Moble Dash cell phone (Windows Mobile 6) using the Genesis emulator PicoDrive 1.52. It works great! (although the stats screens are not readable and have to turn sound off for full speed)

Sir, I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to say that I highly approve of your actions described above.

Baseball Stars for the NES are up there.

Baseball Stars and RBI baseball were my favourite baseball games.

Sensible World of Soccer

- swos

Figures you'd say that, swos. We should get a game going sometime, maybe once I figure out just how to dribble without sticky balls. You know what I mean.

....sliders....
what does this mean?

I'm a huge fan of NHL94 (have been since 1994) and this site is awesome! I'm just curious if there are any other classic 16-bit sports games (besides other NHL ones of course) with the depth of play of NHL94. Perhaps some other EA Sports game? How about any of the Basketball or Football titles? Madden 97 is pretty good for the Genesis (although I still prefer playing NHL94). Does any other classic sports game even have a site dedicated to it like this one?

NHLPA '93 of course.

Madden '92 is a great football game. Same guys who spawned the EA NHL series (Scott Orr and Michael Brook) also created the Madden series, it's the same style as the NHL games.

edit: Coach K College Basket Ball is great too.

While I was on my cruise, I brought along a laptop. Before I left, I downloaded the Genesis emulator and some games and I must say, Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football is right up near the top of my list for greatest games of all time.

That, along with Michael Jacksons Moonwalker :D

joe-montana-sports-talk-football-2_02.pngMichael_Jacksons_Moonwalker_GEN_ScreenShot4.jpg

I'm not the first here to mention these, but Madden '92 and RBI Baseball are both hall-of-famers. Much as people here feel about the NHL94 series, I would rather sit down and play RBI Baseball than any of the Virtual Reality baseball games available.

Which RBI game do you prefer, I believe there was like ten of 'em. Personally, I liked the Sports Talk Baseball game the best minus the talk, that was God-awful!

I like the Baseball Stars and Tecmo Bowl calls.

I think NES Ice Hockey belongs on this list as well... how can you deny fat guy, medium guy, skinny guy?

I for one favor Ice Hockey, though it feels like Blades of Steel is the more common choice. But Ice Hockey just has such awesome charm! I haven't played Mutant League Hockey much, but the few times I've played it I've had fun.

My guess on "a game that comes close" would be a Madden game, but I don't play them myself so I don't know (well I played the one on "EA Double Header" but that's it).

• 2 weeks later...
Forgot Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball for the NES. That is another great game

0.png

Segathon, I'm glad you posted this....I was trying to remember the name of this game but couldn't for the life of me.

Anyways after reading this I got a copy and played the emulated version. I was down 6-2 in the bottom of the last inning with the bases loaded. 2 outs. I cranked one out of the yard thinking I had tied the game but I broke a school window which for that particular field is an out. I had feelings of greatness and having your dreams crushed all in one swing of the bat. :D

----

another note.....I should mention 'extra Innings' for SNES. My favourite baseball game of all time(it narrowly edges out baseball stars and rbi baseball for me). Game play was great....and the dirty looks they'd give the umpire on a called strike three were great...as well the 'bo jackson' breaking of the bat over the knee.

Not that they're necessarily close to NHL 94, but greatest sports games are:

Football: Tecmo Bowl for NES and Atari 2600's Super Challenge Football

Baseball: Sports Talk (93?) for Genesis, RBI 3 and Bad News Baseball for NES

Hockey: NHL 94 and 92 on Genesis, 95 on PC

Basketball: what is basketball? (maybe Arch Rivals)

Greatest non-sports game ever is Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System