NHL'94 Forums

NHL source code

I started the programming of a hockey game, but I don't want to proceed. I think that others could continue the game. It is written in c++ and uses SDL for graphic. Currently the work would be to write the rest of the gameloop and get more animations. It could also happen that some of my code is wrong; I have not tested all. Licensed under GPL.

Best wishes

nhl.tar.gz

nhl.zip

Oh.. Awesome that you share! Not sure if anyone here is too familiar with C++ though. I have studied it in school and made some very simple Half-Life modding, but I hardly remember any of it and were never any good...

wboy uses VB, and I think DaDonch does as well. Let's see what happens. Can anyone post screens from it? Seeing as some have already downloaded it. :)

I tried compiling it with dev-c++ with SDL, but couldnt get it working. It compiled it and made the exe and all but all that showed was black screen.

c++ is a little too complicated for me at the moment but I'm willing to try and learn.

I do not know why you get a black screen. You could maybe run the program in a terminal, "cmd", and see if you get some error printed out. The program shall be run in the main directory, not in "src/", so it can find "share/". And I also think you shall have a file "SDL.dll" in the main directory, but that is for Windows. I used Linux, and can run "./compile_it" to make it working.

I can c++ programming, but I do not have any big gameprogramming experience. The current screen is 14 players standing at point (0,0). And the graphic is taken from NHL 98.

if swos want to learn c++ programming, I will recommend the book "Accelerated C++". It's mainly text, but you learn the how to use c++ very well.

I do not know why you get a black screen. You could maybe run the program in a terminal, "cmd", and see if you get some error printed out. The program shall be run in the main directory, not in "src/", so it can find "share/". And I also think you shall have a file "SDL.dll" in the main directory, but that is for Windows. I used Linux, and can run "./compile_it" to make it working.

I can c++ programming, but I do not have any big gameprogramming experience. The current screen is 14 players standing at point (0,0). And the graphic is taken from NHL 98.

if swos want to learn c++ programming, I will recommend the book "Accelerated C++". It's mainly text, but you learn the how to use c++ very well.

thanks. I had the .exe file in wrong directory. now it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Anyone know if 'no name' is still around? I've been looking at his source code and I would be willing to help out.

The best person to ask is noname...try sending him a private message and hopefully he'll respond.

Swos, how far did you get with this code?

I work in the industry, so it's possible I can have someone take a look.

-Evan

I have not been here for some months, but luckily I now took a look.

I have not done anything more with the game than the newest zip-file. I have no education in designing program, especially such a game. Therefore thought that persons with that knowledge could continue if they want. Even if the programs structure or code should be different, they maybe can have something to build upon.

Ask me more if you want.

To Evan:

I have a gameloop, and the players are on ice. They don't do anything more than waiting for face off. Animations works. No collision handling is implemented. No actions are implemented. But a structure for it is there. And the structure for displaying on screen was not fine.

As far as I can remember.