• 10 minutes, penalties on, line changes off
    • 10 minutes, penalties on, line changes on/auto
    • 20 minutes, penalties off, line changes off
    • 20 minutes, penalties off, line changes on/auto
    • 20 minutes, penalties on (except offsides), line changes off
    • 20 minutes, penalties on (except offsides), line changes on/auto
    • 20 minutes, penalties on, line changes off
    • 20 minutes, penalties on, line changes on/auto

On a typical day, which rules would you use the most? I'll start off by saying I normally play 5 minutes, penalties on (except offsides), line changes off. I played that way as a kid with NHL 97 after school and now I do it with NHL 94 (only I haven't gotten a chance to do it after school). 5 minutes gives me a short game around 8-10 minutes so I can enjoy it before getting to my homework. Offsides slows the game down, but at the same time I want to keep it clean and get chances at penalty shots. Line changes off because I never used them and I like having my best players out there for the whole game.

By the way, in case you never noticed, a 5 minute period is 2 minutes in real time, a 10 minute period is 4 minutes real time, and a 20 minute period is 8 minutes real time. I got bored one day and decided to use a stopwatch to time it.

On a typical day, which rules would you use the most? I'll start off by saying I normally play 5 minutes, penalties on (except offsides), line changes off. I played that way as a kid with NHL 97 after school and now I do it with NHL 94 (only I haven't gotten a chance to do it after school). 5 minutes gives me a short game around 8-10 minutes so I can enjoy it before getting to my homework. Offsides slows the game down, but at the same time I want to keep it clean and get chances at penalty shots. Line changes off because I never used them and I like having my best players out there for the whole game.

By the way, in case you never noticed, a 5 minute period is 2 minutes in real time, a 10 minute period is 4 minutes real time, and a 20 minute period is 8 minutes real time. I got bored one day and decided to use a stopwatch to time it.

5 Minutes, penalties on (except off side), line changes off

I agree pretty much for the same reasons.

It keeps the games short, and especially for league games you can get a bunch done in a short amount of time.

Off-sides do slow the game down, I might play with it on once in a while for realism.

Line changes off for the best players as well. If I was running a league, I might try putting them on auto, in the hopes it would put more emphasis on team management and player skill, instead of depending on 1 or 2 guys to score. But for the most part, who wants Tony Twist, or Joey Kocur knocking home the game winner :D

On the emulator, I like to edit the times to play 7 minutes. Penalties on (no offsides), no line changes :D

For poll purposes, 5 minutes, penalties (no offsides), no line changes.

to the original poster:

you can have penalty shots with the penalties off.

oh, and there is a difference between auto and regular line changes. in auto, fatigue is not a factor.