NHL'94 Forums

Roy is better then Belfour because?

The debate of who the best goalie in NHL94 is a good one. Belfour is the highest rated goalie, but ,many feel that Roy is far better. When I was hex editing, I realizied why Roy seemed to stop more pucks then Belfour. The puck control skill is much higher on Roy, so he gave up fewer rebounds. Most of the goals belfour gives up are on rebounds, and Roy stops and smothers most of the shots he faces. Are there any thoughts on who the best goalie is and why?

Hey all, i am trying to figure this out because, some of our NHL94 enthusiasts asked if there could be more rebounds in a new modified game. I am trying to figure out whether puck control is the sole indicator of rebounds in the game. If anyone knows, please respond.

I'm not sure about the hex ratings determining more or less rebounds. I would have to think a goalie with low control ratings will give up the puck more. The biggest factor for a goalie (like you were saying) controlled by the computer is the speed. If they can get across the net very quick, a lot of one-timers will be stopped.

I would probably take Roy before Belfour, but they're pretty much as good as the other.

Hey thanks for the reply. I am almost certain, from playing 94 that I think rebounds are a direct result of puck control rating. I think this is the reason Potvin and Fuhr are better rebound controllers then Belfour. I could be worng though. Thanks for the tip on one timers. For manual goalies, it might be a good idea to slow down the speed of all the goalies, i.e. Roy. Belfour, so for Manual control they are easier to get from post to post and make stops. Just a comment. Actually, It would be great if there was no automatic control, i find it changes the game.

Hey thanks for the reply.  I am almost certain, from playing 94 that I think rebounds are a direct result of puck control rating.  I think this is the reason Potvin and Fuhr are better rebound controllers then Belfour.  I could be worng though.  Thanks for the tip on one timers.  For manual goalies, it might be a good idea to slow down the speed of all the goalies, i.e. Roy. Belfour, so for Manual control they are easier to get from post to post and make stops. Just a comment.  Actually, It would be great if there was no automatic control, i find it changes the game.

no way people that are new shouldn't have to control the goalies - i never did when i started playing... It just becomes a huge advantage when you perfect the goalie lunge or the crunch behind the net moves with them.

Do you think Hasek can score because of his stats in the areas in hex we were supposed to leave at zero? this would be an interesting find, cause then we could create goalies with better or worse passing ability other then offensive awareness.

you guys are ALL WRONG

hasek is the best because you can score with him :lol:

soccer1: i don't know about the hex editing...i don't do it...in fact unlike most people on this forum i haven't been playing this game for years and years (ok it's been about 3 years) BUT...the only reason why i mention hasek is because one time on a fluke play when i was playing with evan he scored it was a really amazing play and i posted it somewhere on this board...forgive my ignorance, but i am after all, only a silly girl who likes playing the game...not editing it :lol: