NHL'94 Forums

Help: SNES netplay Craziness

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? I was playing DrahkanRahl and the connection was pretty choppy. Twice in the first period one of his guys skated into my keeper and the ref flashed on the screen for a moment indicating a penalty, but he then disappeared right away and the penalty was never called. Later, his keeper skated far out with the puck and the ref whistled and appeared on the screen again for a moment, but Drak then passed the puck, the ref disappeared, the whistle stopped, and the play continued. Finally, in the 3rd, my guy shot the puck into the net, the ref appeared for a moment, the whistle sounded, but a moment later the ref disappeared, the whistle stopped, and my guy kept on skating, the puck back in his possession.

Drak wasn't seeing any of these things. I don't know what was happening, but I've got a theory. When you're playing on Kaillera with Gens and you get desynched, you stay desynched and that's that. We don't know how ZSNES's netplay works, but I suspect that it's set up so that if a desynch occurs, it immediately has one player transmit his state to the other player and the game immediately resumes. If that's so, I'm a little surprised that I'd be getting Drak's state since I was the host and he was the client, but we just don't know.

So...anyone ever seen anything like this with ZSNES?

Sounds like a typical "lag" issue. I haven't been playing NHL '94 that much online so I can't say much about it, it was quite some time ago by now. But it doesn't sound strange to me at all. It's probably just some "correction" that occurs, one side predict one event happening, but when it doesn't nothing happens. Of course this is just a guess, but anyway.

If you're really curious you might ask on the zsnes forums (or #zsnes @ EFnet). :)