NHL'94 Forums

Midwest servers

Can you guys reccomend a good midwest server? Doing a little league over at chicago cyber hockey and we are mostly based in Illinois/Minnesota.

Also I am on DSL and I am around 34 mms or whatever that's called in Kallerina. Is that fast enough for online play? I played a couple games and it seemed fine but the other player said it was kinda laggy. He is used to xbox live though so I am not sure if it's really laggy or he's comparing apples to oranges.

Can you guys reccomend a good midwest server? Doing a little league over at chicago cyber hockey and we are mostly based in Illinois/Minnesota.

Also I am on DSL and I am around 34 mms or whatever that's called in Kallerina. Is that fast enough for online play? I played a couple games and it seemed fine but the other player said it was kinda laggy. He is used to xbox live though so I am not sure if it's really laggy or he's comparing apples to oranges.

I think "Terraonline Server" or something like that is good. I found it worked well for both east-coasters and west-coasters, so I think it should be even better for places in between.

ms=milliseconds. 34ms is good. It's about 1/30th of a second, which is faster than the framerate of movies you see in theatres (1/24s; 42ms per frame). I find it starts to get bad around 70+.

You could be right about the xbox live / apples to oranges thing, but it could also have actually been choppy anyway (that happens sometimes.. both players have good pings (ms), but it's still choppy).

I think "Terraonline Server" or something like that is good. I found it worked well for both east-coasters and west-coasters, so I think it should be even better for places in between.

ms=milliseconds. 34ms is good. It's about 1/30th of a second, which is faster than the framerate of movies you see in theatres (1/24s; 42ms per frame). I find it starts to get bad around 70+.

You could be right about the xbox live / apples to oranges thing, but it could also have actually been choppy anyway (that happens sometimes.. both players have good pings (ms), but it's still choppy).

If you encounter any latency it's because you, or your opponents connection is experiencing packet loss; which Kaillera always does but you don't really mind until the game becomes grainy. If Kaillera didn't the game would desynch/disconnect every time a packet was lost/game hiccups.

This could be due to your ms, but it's very unlikely, that is if your both under 150 ms. I've played people in England and other places remote to me over 100ms with virtually 0 latency, and I've played people under 30ms in games that were impossible to play through.

Chances are it's due to a router or other resources or you need to contact your isp.

Far as Midwest servers go the NHL'94 server is physically based in Chicago.

• 3 weeks later...
If you encounter any latency it's because you, or your opponents connection is experiencing packet loss; which Kaillera always does but you don't really mind until the game becomes grainy. If Kaillera didn't the game would desynch/disconnect every time a packet was lost/game hiccups.

This could be due to your ms, but it's very unlikely, that is if your both under 150 ms. I've played people in England and other places remote to me over 100ms with virtually 0 latency, and I've played people under 30ms in games that were impossible to play through.

Chances are it's due to a router or other resources or you need to contact your isp.

Far as Midwest servers go the NHL'94 server is physically based in Chicago.

Thanks for the info clockwise.

We are having some troubles doing a 95 league with desyncing.

It's kind of hit and miss. Do you have any other tips to prevent desyncing? Looks like bypassing the router if you can will help if that seems to be one of ther reasons.

Should have mentioned this before: All EA Sports games after the '94 campaign have problems linking up with Kaillera. Maybe this has to do with the duration between the games credits and menu is pretty long and the players idle..If Kaillera doesn't detect a player (pushing buttons) for a while it assumes someone desynched. Can't say for sure since I've never really tried to figure out why the newer EA games do this.

Using a emu with peer to peer like Kega Fusion is probably the way to go for using NHL '95 or later EA Sports games.

Good luck.

Should have mentioned this before: All EA Sports games after the '94 campaign have problems linking up with Kaillera. Maybe this has to do with the duration between the games credits and menu is pretty long and the players idle..If Kaillera doesn't detect a player (pushing buttons) for a while it assumes someone desynched. Can't say for sure since I've never really tried to figure out why the newer EA games do this.

Using a emu with peer to peer like Kega Fusion is probably the way to go for using NHL '95 or later EA Sports games.

Good luck.

Thanks Clockwise.

Interesting that when I mentioned this website on onlinehockeyleague.com a few months ago, I was promptly removed from their database/forums. Now when they are looking for help with their server issues, they have no problem interacting with nhl94.com members.

Interesting that when I mentioned this website on onlinehockeyleague.com a few months ago, I was promptly removed from their database/forums. Now when they are looking for help with their server issues, they have no problem interacting with nhl94.com members.

Sorry, Segathon told me it wouldn't be a problem to post here, I've edited my post.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the "Quick Save" stats button online while connected thru Gens in Kaillera? I'm using version 2.11 and when I go to save stats it tells me "You can't save stats while connected in netplay". Is there anyway to save stats then in netplay?

Sorry, Segathon told me it wouldn't be a problem to post here, I've edited my post.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the "Quick Save" stats button online while connected thru Gens in Kaillera? I'm using version 2.11 and when I go to save stats it tells me "You can't save stats while connected in netplay". Is there anyway to save stats then in netplay?

There's no problem with you posting here, as Segathon suggested. Or at least I don't have a problem with it. Just found it peculiar that I make one peep of nhl94.com on your site and I am deleted and removed without any explanation.

But when you need/want help with your connection issues, you come here looking for the nhl94.com representatives to help you out.

Just a human nature observation I suppose, no big deal; no need to duke it out on here. :huh: