NHL'94 Forums

Any Vets signing up for the 20 game league?

they should make a 60 or 80 game season cause 40 is like nothing...

That's certainly not out of the question. The last season we actually had a lot of problems getting coaches to fulfill their 40-game commitments, so I believe the current thinking is that once we can start to identify a large enough pool of coaches who are reliable and don't require Evan and others to chase them down to get their games played, seasons of varying length are more of a possibility.

That's certainly not out of the question. The last season we actually had a lot of problems getting coaches to fulfill their 40-game commitments, so I believe the current thinking is that once we can start to identify a large enough pool of coaches who are reliable and don't require Evan and others to chase them down to get their games played, seasons of varying length are more of a possibility.

Sounds good. 40 games would be great if it was like... 1-1.5 months, but 10 weeks is far too long, the last couple weeks are gonna DRAAAAAAAG, especially since I'll probably be done first, as usual.

I'm just glad its being taken into consideration for when we get guys who are committed. Every year this league happens, things solidify as far as rules, we see our core players, we weed out retards like that rocky guy, and the league just gets better in general.

My one suggestion still is to have an admin who not only would be good for the league (adding addisonbr was a smart move), but is online pretty much all the time to help people with everyday issues, and pass on major issues to the other admins. Schwartz and Evan arent online NEARLY enough, and thats fine, they have lives. But we need somebody with no life to help out :D

Sounds good. 40 games would be great if it was like... 1-1.5 months, but 10 weeks is far too long, the last couple weeks are gonna DRAAAAAAAG, especially since I'll probably be done first, as usual.

I'm just glad its being taken into consideration for when we get guys who are committed. Every year this league happens, things solidify as far as rules, we see our core players, we weed out retards like that rocky guy, and the league just gets better in general.

My one suggestion still is to have an admin who not only would be good for the league (adding addisonbr was a smart move), but is online pretty much all the time to help people with everyday issues, and pass on major issues to the other admins. Schwartz and Evan arent online NEARLY enough, and thats fine, they have lives. But we need somebody with no life to help out ;)

I have just about no life *waits to be ridiculed* :D

I could help out if necessary, since I'll have plenty of time after my 3-17 season is over :P

Frankly? I think the coolest thing ever would be an 82-game season that perfectly mimics the 1994 schedule in terms of games vs. each opponent, with every team represented by a coach that could get that done in 2-3 months. Oh, and game stats like in GDL. It would be fantastic. I personally couldn't play in it (it is probably twice what I could commit to), but it would be fricking cool to watch as a spectator. In addition to our normal over-analysis of results, the nerds among us (raises hand) could do all sorts of further statistical comparisons between the Classic League results and the real 1994 results, see which coaches most outperformed their player talent compared with "history", see how the scoring leaders line up, etc. Probably a bunch of cool things I haven't even thought of. I'd totally pony up for a real engravable Stanley Cup to sit at the winner's house until the next tournament. If The Ocho ever actually comes into existence ("If it's almost a sport, we've got it here!") I'm pretty sure we could get them to show highlights of the finals.

The problem is that only one coach immediately comes to mind who I would bet actual money on being able to finish that kind of schedule reliably (already well represented in this thread). Maybe after a couple/few more go-arounds we'll identify a few more people and start to inch closer to true awesomeness.

I'm joining whatever will be the easiest league. I gotta make the playoffs in one of these things! :D

What is the consensus out there? Will the 20 game league be the "easiest?"

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the "easiest" by design, but SSiG may be right.

Frankly? I think the coolest thing ever would be an 82-game season that perfectly mimics the 1994 schedule in terms of games vs. each opponent, with every team represented by a coach that could get that done in 2-3 months. Oh, and game stats like in GDL. It would be fantastic. I personally couldn't play in it (it is probably twice what I could commit to), but it would be fricking cool to watch as a spectator. In addition to our normal over-analysis of results, the nerds among us (raises hand) could do all sorts of further statistical comparisons between the Classic League results and the real 1994 results, see which coaches most outperformed their player talent compared with "history", see how the scoring leaders line up, etc. Probably a bunch of cool things I haven't even thought of. I'd totally pony up for a real engravable Stanley Cup to sit at the winner's house until the next tournament. If The Ocho ever actually comes into existence ("If it's almost a sport, we've got it here!") I'm pretty sure we could get them to show highlights of the finals.

The problem is that only one coach immediately comes to mind who I would bet actual money on being able to finish that kind of schedule reliably (already well represented in this thread). Maybe after a couple/few more go-arounds we'll identify a few more people and start to inch closer to true awesomeness.

I could do an entire 82-game season if asked. Once I join a league, I see out my commitment even if things are going terribly wrong (which is just about all the time :D)

As for the comment about the 20 game season being the easiest league, it might not be true. I'm looking for a league that will give me a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. After that, I don't care how I do :P

What is the consensus out there? Will the 20 game league be the "easiest?"

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the "easiest" by design, but SSiG may be right.

I think you guys are right... It's certainly not "supposed" to be the easiest. It's really just a division designed to accommodate different life schedules and ability to play tons of games each month. It might be that a lot of vets sign up for one league vs. another, but there's no 'A' or 'B' league designations based on skill.

I think what Evan and Jacob are trying to accomplish at this point is building a strong foundation based on commitment to the leagues, and if it turns out down the road that we would benefit from some subtle skill differentials in the leagues, cross that bridge when we come to it.

Just to briefly add to the thread:

Our goal in setting up the leagues will be to put coaches into "best-fit" leagues. We'll be using the game count preference, coach's history in leagues and forum, and whether they are vets or rookies to determine where they will go. I don't think it will ever be perfect, but we'll certainly do our best to keep the playing field even.

I don't know how many will opt for the 20-game count, but I personally would lean towards that since my schedule is pretty crazy these days. I definitely won't be doing a 40-game league this season, so count me in for a 20-game league.

-Evan

I need to maximize my nhl94 game count...40 it is! I'll have to organize another snes nostalgia league just to satisfy my addiction for nhl94 over those 3 months. Game On!

Just to briefly add to the thread:

Our goal in setting up the leagues will be to put coaches into "best-fit" leagues. We'll be using the game count preference, coach's history in leagues and forum, and whether they are vets or rookies to determine where they will go. I don't think it will ever be perfect, but we'll certainly do our best to keep the playing field even.

I don't know how many will opt for the 20-game count, but I personally would lean towards that since my schedule is pretty crazy these days. I definitely won't be doing a 40-game league this season, so count me in for a 20-game league.

-Evan

Do you mean your going to "best-fit" ppl in Gens A/B type leagues, or is it just 20 and 40gm leagues. I think I might join 20, GEL and GDL will all be starting around same time. Hopefully all leagues work together.

I'm debating Evan's 20 game league or the GDL season 3. No time for both.

The 20 game league seems to better fit my schedule, but I'm hoping the competition will be top notch. Any vets plan on signing up?

Just registered and really excited to get back into it all. It's been awhile. :D