NHL'94 Forums

Rating Systems/Formulas

Could anyone share with me the various formulas and systems you have used to decide player ratings and team ratings when creating games based on real NHL seasons? I'm thinking of finally starting a massive undertaking and I think this might be one of the final pieces of the puzzle, so please tell me as many of these rating systems as you can think of!

Thanks so much!

SOP would be to use a teams overall record and points total to determine the team ratings in comparison to the rest of the league.
For example: The Vatican Holy Rollers finished last season with 45 pts, and 250 GF. The league high is 105 pts and 320 GF, so, you give them a team rating of 58.

Same principle applies when formulating a system for player ratings.

Harvey Wallbanger tallied 24 goals and 15 assists; you see where I'm going.

If there are players you don't know a whole lot about because info from the era is hard to obtain, then you could do a system like this (it's what I did for the 1 game wonders):

Use weight to determine speed and shot power (heavy players get heavy shots, light players get more speed); it's sort of an NES Ice Hockey rating.

Ultimately, it boils down to what you want in the edit.

Thanks Clockwise! If you do have your '91 Tablets around then I'd definitely appreciate being able to take a look at them!

So basically, one team and one player will end up with 100 ratings, and all the rest are relative to that team/player, right?

Time to break out the stat sheets and get to work...

Thanks Clockwise! If you do have your '91 Tablets around then I'd definitely appreciate being able to take a look at them!

So basically, one team and one player will end up with 100 ratings, and all the rest are relative to that team/player, right?

Time to break out the stat sheets and get to work...

That's an interesting way of looking at it that I never thought of! However, what actually makes a player a 99 rating it's difficult to describe if you haven't edited player ratings before (which you have).

The system is basically stat classed as I said before. 50 goals equals 81-95 shot accuracy and so on, of course there are always exceptions to account for: in 90-91 Lemieux had 19 goals and 26 assists in 29 games, but he is still deserving of 99 shot accuracy rating.

I'll to get around to putting it up, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have all player names (with stats and all that stuff) in an Excel sheet and calculated what each players G/A/P/PIM would be if he had played a full 82 game season. And then made up a scale to which should get high -> low stats in passing/shooting etc. Only included people who had played over 19 games into this though. To avoid getting a player that scored in his only nhl game getting to good stats. Maybe not the best way to go at it but I thought it was kinda neat.

• 2 weeks later...
Bump.

Any news on those rating systems, Clockwise or don16086? No rush, I just want to make sure that no one forgets!

Thanks again!

since i'm not doing NHL teams (and therefore no need for accurate stats) i just use RANDON NUMBERS ..... usually they are like 90 or 100, or just above 100 for some of my teams, and then pare down the stats for the lesser teams (taking off a set number off all the stats, so if there is a 15 i take off 1 and make it a 14, and if there's a 1 it goes down to 0 ..... but if there is 3 coming off and the stat is 1, obviously it goes into negative territory, so i just round it up th 0)

so teams like CANADA and RUSSIA will be up in the 90's and 100's, and teams like LUXEMBOURG will be in the 50's .....

for fictional teams random numbers are pretty useful i think