NHL'94 Forums

New 2on2 League Format Idea

addisonbr

I was a part of the last 2on2 league (in which I was booted after my assigned partner disappeared - injustice!) and felt a lot of the scheduling issues. From what I understand, the previous year wasn't much different; getting four particular people to play at the same time can be crazy hard.

So here's my idea... Populate a league of 2on2 players (not teams). Say you get like 17 interested guys. Any time four people are available, they can play an official league game. Teams are randomly determined, and the game results count for each of the coaches individually. That gets you through the regular season until each individual coach has (say) 10 games played (making that number up). If you don't get your games in, you'll probably have fewer points than the other guys. Coaches with the most points make the playoffs, in which the same format is applied but with a smaller coach pool and far fewer games required. After that, you take the top four coaches, split them up either randomly or 1-4 and 2-3, and play a best-of-X series between those two teams for the Cup.

So say Bobby, Gordie, Wayne and Mario are all on clockwise's server. They agree to get a league game in. Through some sort of random process Bobby and Wayne play against Gordie and Mario. Bobby and Wayne win, so Bobby gets two points at 1-0, Wayne gets 2 points at 1-0, Gordie gets zero at 0-1 and Mario gets zero at 0-1.

There would be no significant advantage to only agreeing to play with particularly good or bad players because you wouldn't know if you're playing *with* them or *against* them.

Might be a format that works better with people's schedules.

I was a part of the last 2on2 league (in which I was booted after my assigned partner disappeared - injustice!) and felt a lot of the scheduling issues. From what I understand, the previous year wasn't much different; getting four particular people to play at the same time can be crazy hard.

So here's my idea... Populate a league of 2on2 players (not teams). Say you get like 17 interested guys. Any time four people are available, they can play an official league game. Teams are randomly determined, and the game results count for each of the coaches individually. That gets you through the regular season until each individual coach has (say) 10 games played (making that number up). If you don't get your games in, you'll probably have fewer points than the other guys. Coaches with the most points make the playoffs, in which the same format is applied but with a smaller coach pool and far fewer games required. After that, you take the top four coaches, split them up either randomly or 1-4 and 2-3, and play a best-of-X series between those two teams for the Cup.

So say Bobby, Gordie, Wayne and Mario are all on clockwise's server. They agree to get a league game in. Through some sort of random process Bobby and Wayne play against Gordie and Mario. Bobby and Wayne win, so Bobby gets two points at 1-0, Wayne gets 2 points at 1-0, Gordie gets zero at 0-1 and Mario gets zero at 0-1.

There would be no significant advantage to only agreeing to play with particularly good or bad players because you wouldn't know if you're playing *with* them or *against* them.

Might be a format that works better with people's schedules.

Very cool concept but someone will end up being the fat kid with LA Lights that no one wants on their kickball team so to speak.

Will definitely kick this around some.