sound vs. no sound?

Personally, I love the sounds in the game

the organ,

the crowd,

that red light siren that burns my goalies neck too often

the intro music

the "chaugha" when players check

and the grunts

but, does anyone use the sound when they're playing on netplay?

I find that it sometimes slows the game down

What are your takes?

I have been known occaisionally to turn off the sound and put on some 'pump-up' music. Lot's of hard rock and such.

I have to say, it does cause an effect. I got the puck with Sundin just when the very heavy chorus started up again, and I managed to dodge 4 checks and do a wicked deke. It really gets you going.

To be honest, and no need to flame me (wearing a flame retardant bunny suit), the sound is what I dislike the most with Genesis '94. Sure I get the nostalgia feel when playing EA Hockey, but I mean, it is a lot older and is therefore allowed to have worse sound but when '94 still has the same sounds, well... Especially when the SNES '94 on the other hand has some of the coolest (wow, caution alert, incoming baseball bats and throwing stars) sound effects for the 9x games imho.

The Genesis intro however is bloody awesome. But the sound effects, sorry, can't stand them. :amazing: Boy do I know how to make friends... ^_^

Personally, I love the sounds in the game

the organ,

the crowd,

that red light siren that burns my goalies neck too often

the intro music

the "chaugha" when players check

and the grunts

but, does anyone use the sound when they're playing on netplay?

I find that it sometimes slows the game down

What are your takes?

The sounds are an integral part of the nhl94 experience! Playing without them is BLASPHEMY! The successful check grunt noise is by far my favourite ("BLOOARRGHH!").. The new games sound so boring with their wimpy "oh, sorry good sir" checks.

PS: you really should shrink the font on your "If you wanna play im me" signature. It's obnoxiously large. I'm tryin'ta read here!

The new games sound so boring with their wimpy "oh, sorry good sir" checks.

What about the NHL '95 board/bench (at least bench) check sounds!? Haha.. They're terrific! :amazing: Sounds like you hit an oil barrel with a crowbar or something... A tad of ironi there.

PS: you really should shrink the font on your "If you wanna play im me" signature. It's obnoxiously large. I'm tryin'ta read here!

Seconded.

What about the NHL '95 board/bench (at least bench) check sounds!? Haha.. They're terrific! :amazing: Sounds like you hit an oil barrel with a crowbar or something... A tad of ironi there.

Oh, I don't remember the sounds in the post-94 16-bit games, actually.

I was talking about the newer xbox/ps games. Even when you crank the hitting power, you rarely knock a guy over. They really need to add an "old school" mode.

To be honest, and no need to flame me (wearing a flame retardant bunny suit), the sound is what I dislike the most with Genesis '94. Sure I get the nostalgia feel when playing EA Hockey, but I mean, it is a lot older and is therefore allowed to have worse sound but when '94 still has the same sounds, well... Especially when the SNES '94 on the other hand has some of the coolest (wow, caution alert, incoming baseball bats and throwing stars) sound effects for the 9x games imho.

The Genesis intro however is bloody awesome. But the sound effects, sorry, can't stand them. :amazing: Boy do I know how to make friends... ^_^

Sir, I most strongly disagree with your assessments of the audial qualities of the Genesis and Super Nintendo versions!

Seriously, having spent extensive time with both I think the Genesis verison's sounds are better, mainly because, well, there's actual sound after a goal in the Genesis version. I mean, in SNES, you score and the ref blows his whistle (even if the home team scores). With Genesis, there's a siren and, if the home team scores, organ music. I think the hitting the post sound effect is better on Genesis, too, since it sounds more to me like actually hitting a post with the puck. The SNES sound is more like...well, I don't know exactly what it sounds like, but it's not as good a sound as the Genesis version's.

Tickenest: True about the siren. It's something that's missing, but I'd rather not have it than having the one in gen94, it gets very annoying really quick. And I guess the "hit post" sound could be better.

yea, but im talking mainly about netplay

When you are in a game, like in the league for instance,

does the sound create lag and take away from the gameplay?

I have not noticed this. It may depend on your computer, but anything less than 4-5 years old should be perfectly fine.

If you are sure this is happening, then try changing the sampling rate in gens, instead of just turning it off: Sound->Rate->11025

There are some other options in there that you could play with (stereo, high quality, etc..), but I don't know which ones will have any real effect.

Sir, I most strongly disagree with your assessments of the audial qualities of the Genesis and Super Nintendo versions!

Seriously, having spent extensive time with both I think the Genesis verison's sounds are better, mainly because, well, there's actual sound after a goal in the Genesis version. I mean, in SNES, you score and the ref blows his whistle (even if the home team scores). With Genesis, there's a siren and, if the home team scores, organ music. I think the hitting the post sound effect is better on Genesis, too, since it sounds more to me like actually hitting a post with the puck. The SNES sound is more like...well, I don't know exactly what it sounds like, but it's not as good a sound as the Genesis version's.

What I find distracting about the SNES sounds is that, though they mostly sound better, they don't fit in/together as smoothly.

The post is definitely the sound I notice the most as being 'off.' On the Sega, you get a nice PING! but on the SNES, you get a Clunk, which isn't right.

During Netplay, I actually leave the sounds off. It probably doesn't make much of a difference but that's my preference.

-Evan

What I find distracting about the SNES sounds is that, though they mostly sound better, they don't fit in/together as smoothly.

The post is definitely the sound I notice the most as being 'off.' On the Sega, you get a nice PING! but on the SNES, you get a Clunk, which isn't right.

Last night, I was playing the SNES version and I really think smoz hit it on the head here. I think the sounds that are used in that version are better quality and crisper sounding, however, they don't necessarily fit well with what's going on. The no siren really bothers me but I like how each time you hit a guy at home, the crowd noise seems to build up, especially if you do it with consecutive checks.