NHL'94 Forums

2on2: The Thaw

clockwise

There's been a surge of interest regarding 2on2 in the last week or so mainly because of all the new guys like: Sungod, sebe, pcp420 and others. It's every day now I check the server and find guys playing 2on2. Which is basically what I've been waiting for, now that interest is peaking again it's time to defrost 2on2, or take it out of the mothballs or whatever.

As I alluded to before, this season will have a custom dedicated rom and I will build a site for 2on2 but I'm to busy right now for either of these. For the time being we can kick around some ideas for what you guys would like to have come season 3. Hopefully some of these things I mention will keep people involved and interested in 2on2.

I had previously mentioned having a rating system where players could build their own teams with an alloted number of points.

This is still a potentiality but not that important since all the ratings are already equal. Speak up if you would like to see this type of thing implemented.

Ideas for season 3:

1. Legacy Format | Classic Ratings:

Coaches will be able to pick any NHL player, living or dead and pair them with any other player, on any team.

So for instance: Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, and Martin Brodeur could all be on the Canucks - in throwback or current uniforms and logo. Keep in mind ratings are classic (equal).

Of course there will be new intro screens, and only league teams will be selectable from the menu.

2. Custom Rink:

Which style crease?

What kind of net would you like?

Should the sprite patch be added (hockey tape)?

How about player icons, classic star, circle, or doughnut?

And what type of puck, '95 PC style, swos mini puck style, or classic '94 style?

3. Addisonbr's league format idea:

Here is more info.

Depending on the feedback; one, all, or a combination of the aforementioned can be used for the upcoming season.

I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say. And this isn't an official register, but if you would like to play in season 3 then state your opinion.

Thanks.

I'm torn b/w the allocated points or keeping it equal formats. I like the option of being able to custom build your 2 players, however, equal is nice that everyone is on the same playing field. If everyone is on the same playing field, we should use our own names for the players. If I enter a game as player 3 or 4, I'm going to be the wing, therefore, it would be nice to have my name already in that spot. I just don't see the point to having a Gret, Lemieux or any professional player since everyone is at the same level of skill. Besides it would be cool to track season over season if Jesus, EA, etc continues to tear it up on the stats.

I like the crease that's in classic NHL94.

Net... doesn't matter

Sprite patch... sounds good

Classic Star

Puck... DEFINITELY classic 94... I can't stand that small puck

With that said, I think it's also obvious that you should count me in for the upcoming season. Hopefully, Habs will want to partner up again with me this season. That brings up a question though... what about random partner matchings? Not completely behind it but just want to toss out another element to consider.

Looking forward to this league coming back!!!

Count me in for sure!

As for the crease, sprites, etc., it doesn't really matter to me except that I think we should keep the original 94 puck.

Great ideas, I like the legacy format. Gilbert Perreault man best hands in hockey.

On second reading, you say ratings will be equal? If thats the case then I agree with EA, just have our names in the rom. But if you make it allocated rating points or something that might be cool.

And if we do decide to keep ratings equal and go the route of our individual names... Jesus, are you going to make profile pics in the nhl94 format that will scroll across during the picking teams portion??? That would be pretty cool, although, if it's too time consuming, then don't even sweat it. And if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

And if we do decide to keep ratings equal and go the route of our individual names... Jesus, are you going to make profile pics in the nhl94 format that will scroll across during the picking teams portion??? That would be pretty cool, although, if it's too time consuming, then don't even sweat it. And if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Hey I like the idea of using our names think you proposed this before, what's the verdict on this guys?

Far as the player cards go I developed a fast method for doing them when I did like 500+ for my 91 edit so they're no problem. However the game does crash if they cycle past the starters.

And whats the consensus on using any teams or any era (unis / logos)?

I really want to see this league up and going. I was thinking... and I would like to see a random draw for teammates. This isn't just because i don't want to lose to Clockwize and Voc....well...maybe a little.

The one concern I have is that if one or two teams have records like 19-1 or 20-0 that some of the otherwise decently dedicated players will lose interest. I don't mind taking beatings...it's the only reason I am getting better day by day. But, if there is no one around to beat on...there's no point.

I really don't know of a good way to randomly pick teams...but are you guys up for this? I think it would make things a lot more interesting.

Two more things:

I am going to be starting a teamspeak server and hosting it on my local PC at the apartment. I'll post info about that when it's up (tonight sometime).

Also, I think we should use our own names for the player names to allow for season-by-season tracking. I think we should create our own teams. I would really like to play as the Rockford Icehogs, our local team and AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks :-)

Well...let me know what you guys think.

I really want to see this league up and going. I was thinking... and I would like to see a random draw for teammates. This isn't just because i don't want to lose to Clockwize and Voc....well...maybe a little.

The one concern I have is that if one or two teams have records like 19-1 or 20-0 that some of the otherwise decently dedicated players will lose interest. I don't mind taking beatings...it's the only reason I am getting better day by day. But, if there is no one around to beat on...there's no point.

I really don't know of a good way to randomly pick teams...but are you guys up for this? I think it would make things a lot more interesting.

Two more things:

I am going to be starting a teamspeak server and hosting it on my local PC at the apartment. I'll post info about that when it's up (tonight sometime).

Also, I think we should use our own names for the player names to allow for season-by-season tracking. I think we should create our own teams. I would really like to play as the Rockford Icehogs, our local team and AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks :-)

Well...let me know what you guys think.

All good points.

I'm liking that guys are leaning towards the idea of doing their own names and making their own teams, I think that will be a really cool dynamic.

Are far as picking partners or doing it randomly, I'm good with either. Don't get me wrong, having HABS as a partner is perfect b/c I think we really compliment each other, however, I like the randomness of not knowing who your partner could be. If we went that route, my only hopes is that I get a partner that's dedicated to the league. I refuse to be on a team where I don't get to finish the season b/c my partner goes MIA.

All good points.

I'm liking that guys are leaning towards the idea of doing their own names and making their own teams, I think that will be a really cool dynamic.

Are far as picking partners or doing it randomly, I'm good with either. Don't get me wrong, having HABS as a partner is perfect b/c I think we really compliment each other, however, I like the randomness of not knowing who your partner could be. If we went that route, my only hopes is that I get a partner that's dedicated to the league. I refuse to be on a team where I don't get to finish the season b/c my partner goes MIA.

While we can't foresee who is just going to quit out of nowhere, I think the random team think will really stave that off. You know that if two new/semi-new players team together, they will probably get stomped on a day to day basis. But, if they team with an established player, the league will be more competitive, the new player will learn quicker, and there will be less quitters I think.

Anyhow, ya, I am working on some content to spif up the 2on2 site but Jesus has final say on it. I am waiting on a layout from him so I can mock up a few pages for his approval. It sounds like he is rather busy at the moment. I just want to help and get this thing up ASAP.

I am really excited about the new faces. Sungod played with us the other night, he's pretty darn good. Sebe too. If you guys see 'snipeshow' in Kaillera, he is a guy I play hockey with, pretty good at 94 but never played 2on2 until the other day.

How many of you are interested in that teamspeak server I want to put up?

This is sort of why I'm interested in a league where you don't have a permanent partner until, say, the playoffs. In theory it isn't hard to get four specific people together, but in practice I've seen that it can be. And in the most recent season I was drafted into the league to partner up with someone who disappeared for the final month or so, which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Voc and I already decided to use the '87 Pens with the yellow unis but I like the concept of randomly pairing teams together. Still 2on2 is a different animal from the original game and there is a chasm in skill level for players who are new to the format. Two rookies could get paired together and they would end up being the sacrificial lamb until they master the ins and outs of the game play. I also think it would be very frustrating for a player to get paired with someone they have no synergy with.

Finding a teammate your comfortable with is the easiest way to keep everyone playing imo, and in the process players will develop a 6th sense for each others skills the more they play together. I'm not adverse to random teams but I can't say that I'm convinced it would be better than just selecting a parter you already know will mix well with your style of play.

Far as the edit goes this is what's concrete:

Swos style retro net (bubble style).

'94 style crease.

Hockey tape sprite patch.

'94 style (star) player icon.

Coach names to replace player names.

'94 style puck.

Original 2on2 player ratings.

Blue ice.

Any NHL team logo and uniform from any era.

2on2 intro screens

All of this stuff above will take no time but I can't move forward with any logos, unis, teams, or player data until I know what the teams are and who's on them. Since we are using coaches names to replace the '94 players I also need to know what the goalies names, and numbers will be, and which position each coach is playing and the number they want.

I should have some time later this week to get cracking on the rom and site.