NHL'94 Forums

Does anyone use their backup goalies occasionally?

This is just out of curiosity, if so who are your favorite backup goalies?

Personally, I've had good luck with Darren Puppa and Vincent Riendeau in the past.

All the time. My two favorites are Daniel Berthiaume (Ottawa) and John Blue (Boston). I've had some great performances from both, and they are better than the preset starters for their teams (in my opinion).

All the time. My two favorites are Daniel Berthiaume (Ottawa) and John Blue (Boston). I've had some great performances from both, and they are better than the preset starters for their teams (in my opinion).

Berthiaume is definitely way better than Sidorkiewicz.

I get way better performances from Richter than Vanbiesbrouk (NYR).

I agree with most of what's been said already.

Without a doubt: Richter over Beezer, Blue over Moog, and Riendeau over Cheveldae occasionally too.

-Evan

Using the backup goalie is fun when you are in a goofy mood. Sometimes they surprise you....with scoring goals...like Hasek or Riendeau :P

I like Blue also. I'll sometimes throw in Fitzpatick over Healey on NYI also.

But the backups mentioned so far are very similar in ratings to the starter.

Does it make any sense, statistically, to take out a starter that is rated higher in every attribute than the backup? If Roy allows goals on the first 3 shots you still don't take him out.

it can make sense to pull the superstar goalie. fast goalies get faked out too quick. a slower goalie may let in less goals by "the move."

it can make sense to pull the superstar goalie. fast goalies get faked out too quick. a slower goalie may let in less goals by "the move."

You're assuming that they're already in position and too slow to move out of the way before you pull that puck over. I really don't think that's the case. The slower goalies leave huge gaps on the sides. Sometimes you can a slap just off center and those tubs won't be able to get over.

Poor Hrudey.

i normally find myself putting in Jim Waite when i play against cam kneely.. Jim has his number and its a little perasonal vendetta that he cant get over

True story i was losing to him by 4 goals going into the 3rd on sega.. I pulled belfour and put in the Great Waite and he made 6 saves on as many shots and i won the game in regulation.. best display of goaltending i think i have ever seen :)

In the SNES version of the game....the rangers, blues, islanders and oilers don't have a backup goalie as they were plucked by the expansion teams...florida and anaheim. Genesis left those goalies on both teams(hebert, tugnutt, fitzpatrick, vanbiesbrouck).