NHL'94 Forums

New: A P2P Version of Kaillera for Gens!

Tickenest

swos showed me something quite revolutionary tonight: a kaillera client that makes kaillera into a p2p application instead of client-server.

Kaillera p2p client

I've used it and it's legit as far as I can tell. The instructions for installation are all there and yeah, it's a little weird to set up, but this should really help with Gens netplay, mainly since it equalizes ping for both players. I was playing with swos tonight and he called it the best connection he's ever had against a North American player (he's Finnish). We should give it consideration for future leagues, especially in cases where there's a real ping discrepancy.

Again: READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. Yes, you have to have CAPS LOCK on when you start up Gens for it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, don't have to tell me twice. This could be the answer for international Gens play. Tick, so what's been your experience so far? If it's smooth with Swos, this could be excellent. Zbattle is similar, and I've had much better smooth connections using that over Gens. Give me a 36-hour day and we could research this quickly.

-Evan

Hey man, don't have to tell me twice. This could be the answer for international Gens play. Tick, so what's been your experience so far? If it's smooth with Swos, this could be excellent. Zbattle is similar, and I've had much better smooth connections using that over Gens. Give me a 36-hour day and we could research this quickly.

-Evan

It's been great with the Fins, but the only time I tried it with someone in North America, James and I desynched several times. Odd, but I still think it's promising because geez, it worked well with the Fins. swos called it the best connection he's ever had for a transatlantic game.

• 4 months later...