NHL'94 Forums

Linksys Router + zbattle

Tickenest

Anyone here have the Linksys WRT54G router and is able to connect to zbattle? I've tried all the settings on all the sites that talk about port forwarding and editing the .ini file but I've gotten zbattle to connect exactly once since I installed this new router earlier this week (it then failed to connect when I disconnected and reconnected without changing any more settings).

I haven't tried zbattle with it, but I do have a WRT54GL, and now most things work. I did have some trouble setting it up to be honest. I've got an FTP server running without any problem but that's about it. Haven't tried much more.

What about running other firmwares? I'm using the DD-WRT firmware (DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) mini - build 3932). There's one that's called "Tomato" that I see many use as well. Hope you'll figure it out. Network stuff can be tricky when they screw up.

Tick,

I have that router and all I had to do is open port 7845 on the computer using zbattle. I believe that's the default port.

-Evan

Few more quick ideas:

1)Make absolute sure that you don't have any software firewalls running. They are sneaky as hell especially the windows one, but you can check its settings in the control panel.

2) Your ip address might be getting switched on you.

go Start>Run

type "cmd" hit enter

type "ipconfig /all"

Make sure that ip address is the same as the one you DMZ'd or port forwarded to.

GL man I know the agony of wasting hours on networking. Hours that you will never get back and will curse in the last few minutes of your life before you are dead :unsure:

Few more quick ideas:

1)Make absolute sure that you don't have any software firewalls running. They are sneaky as hell especially the windows one, but you can check its settings in the control panel.

2) Your ip address might be getting switched on you.

go Start>Run

type "cmd" hit enter

type "ipconfig /all"

Make sure that ip address is the same as the one you DMZ'd or port forwarded to.

GL man I know the agony of wasting hours on networking. Hours that you will never get back and will curse in the last few minutes of your life before you are dead :unsure:

Sadly, I've checked all of those things. zbattle was working with the old router + firewall combination, but even when I disable the software firewall the connection fails. I have my computer set up to get assigned the same address by DHCP every time. I'll probably test it out some more in a few days...and continue to fail. Thanks for trying.

Sadly, I've checked all of those things. zbattle was working with the old router + firewall combination, but even when I disable the software firewall the connection fails. I have my computer set up to get assigned the same address by DHCP every time. I'll probably test it out some more in a few days...and continue to fail. Thanks for trying.

Can you get on zbattle at all? Or just not connect to another player through zbattle? Big difference.

Can't get on at all.

okay then, thats not a router issue.

make sure your zbattle.net.ini file has this in it:

[options]

server=www.newcon.org

serverport=4398

playername=bsdaemon

startport=4000

endport=8000

programpath=C:\TempDocs\zsnes\zsnesw.exe

rompath=C:\TempDocs\zsnes\roms

connectonstartup=1

[host]

playsound=0

soundfile=

playtextsound=0

textsoundfile=

I checked the .ini file just now and saw that I had www.newcom.org there, which, of course, is not www.newcon.org. Quickly, I saved the changes and restarted zbattle.

Still didn't connect, even after I DMZed my computer and temporarily disabled the software firewall. Those bastards....

I just plugged my computer directly into the modem and zbattle connected easily, so something's definitely getting lost in the [network address] translation.

ZING

Okay. That doesn't really make any sense unless you've really broken something.

Okay. That doesn't really make any sense unless you've really broken something.

What is your basis for saying that this has nothing to do with my router when there are pages and pages on the internet about people trying to configure their routers to work with zbattle?

Wow you almost never hear about connection problems with zbattle.. i am shocked.. :)

Here comes the "..just cause you couldn't do it.." reply from zbattle's fan club president BSDaemon

If you know the reason why you couldn't connect, why would you post with the expectation of me telling you what you already know to be true?

Please troll elsewhere.

What is your basis for saying that this has nothing to do with my router when there are pages and pages on the internet about people trying to configure their routers to work with zbattle?

Well, most of those problems are likely people having issues using zbattle to play games, not connecting TO zbattle. The connection to zbattle is a simple TCP connection, which should work without doing anything special to your router. The connection between two players in zbattle is the standard zsnes UDP connection. There is no reason why you would be unable to connect to zbattle itself, which is why I say it doesn't really make sense. That's not to say it can't be true, because believe me, I've seen plenty of things during my career that don't make sense, yet happen anyway.

On a semi-related note, zbattle really should have the option of starting up zsnes w/ TCP (and obviously selecting host and client manually). That way, you can still use zbattle to connect even if you need to use TCP (which has numerous benefits, the largest being for those who don't know their IP address, or their IP address is dynamic and changes frequently, such as with a pppoe connection.)

Please be an apologist for an obviously inferior setup elsewhere

You know, every time you post something like this, you're just making yourself look like more and more of an idiot. Cut your losses and give up. Really.