NHL'94 Forums

Any NHL95 PC lovers in Toronto?

ilan

Hi guys,

I'm new here, found the site, I think someone emailed me once from here...I run a PC NHL95 league in Toronto... check out www.nhl95.com if you haven't already.

Does anyone here love NHL95 PC or are you just hardcore '94 fans? I'd love to get a tourney going for PC version. See if anyone out there can beat us heh heh. Still playing after 10 years... i know we'd get smoked on Sega, there are enough differences between the games...

Also, does anyone know how I can capture league highlights from PC version? Any free s/w out there? The game takes over the machine, best I could do was take 50 screenshots and make an animated gif (very time consuming).

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm new here, found the site, I think someone emailed me once from here...I run a PC NHL95 league in Toronto... check out www.nhl95.com if you haven't already.

Does anyone here love NHL95 PC or are you just hardcore '94 fans? I'd love to get a tourney going for PC version. See if anyone out there can beat us heh heh. Still playing after 10 years... i know we'd get smoked on Sega, there are enough differences between the games...

Also, does anyone know how I can capture league highlights from PC version? Any free s/w out there? The game takes over the machine, best I could do was take 50 screenshots and make an animated gif (very time consuming).

Thanks!

I'd be interested..... interested in geting schooled that is!

It would be way different than NHL 94.... my love would be to get a tourney for 94..... but with a little practice I might be in for an NHL 95 tourney.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

yeah I emailed you 3 years ago about the possibility to play Sega NHL94 online with Gens :lol: (I'm sorry I never replied to your message promising to give you more detailed info about it) Here's our conversation back then:

Hi, yup you're right that we love NHL95, newer games suck ass. I have played

alot of nhl 2002 for PS2 but I like '95 way more.

I know Sega version is good and I used to play SNES version alot, back then

I liked SNES version more, seemed easier to skate (Sega the players a bit

harder to control and one-timers too easy).

>There are 2 things that are different in Sega's NHL94 :

>1. you can use Manual Goalie control, which takes the 100% sure ways to

>score completely off from the game.

I agree, the one thing PC '95 misses is manual goalie...but we say that it's

all about not letting the opponent get to the spot that we know you can

score from. It's like chess - strategy and defence. you can control defence

so poke check instead of changing to manual goalie. It just means on a

breakaway there's no chance to defend.

>2. the Netplay - NHL94 is possible to play over the internet

I wish '95 is online too but oh well. We seem to be fine with finding people

here. We're up to 12 in our league and we can exist with 4 people at least.

And net play means coming up with rules as to what happens if connection is

severed etc...

But I know our league would be HUGE if internet playable since I get ALOT of

fans emailing me from Finland (like you) and Norway and Sweden.

We like PC version the most because:

1. allows saving of databases to make trades easily

2. keeps track of game/playoff statistics on harddrive for cummulating

stats.

3. Easy to see player qualities and make trades. Can more easily tell which

players are better. 90 speed is faster than 75 speed for sure!

4. player control a little better in my opinion.

But the truth is we can't change now because there is SO MUCH history stats

with our league and player salaries etc...if you look at our history we have

played 12 or 13 seasons and our rules are SO detailed that we think it's

very realistic. Designed so bad teams get better and good teams get worse.

I'd be interested in learning more how to play NHL94 online...let me know. I

have old Gravis gamepad, maybe that works? Thanks!

/Ilan

>From: Jarkko <japeho00@oppi.edu.ouka.fi>

>To: iitimsit@hotmail.com

>Subject: NHL94 (95) netplay

>Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:55:44 +0200

>

>seems like I'm not the only one in the world who likes NHL95

>personally I think it is the best hockey game ever and these new EA Sports

>3d game just keeps getting more worse.

>

>I think you are aware(or not) that Sega Genesis' (Megadrive) game NHL

>Hockey 94

>uses the very same game engine with PC's NHL95, only that the Sega version

>is a bit better in my opinion.

>There are 2 things that are different in Sega's NHL94 :

>1. you can use Manual Goalie control, which takes the 100% sure ways to

>score completely off from the game.

>2. the Netplay - NHL94 is possible to play over the internet, and with very

>good quality. There has been little problems when I have tried to play

>against ones living in North America, but against finnish players (I live

>in Finland, Europe) it has worked just perfectly.

>The reason why it has a netplay option is Gens, the Sega Genesis emulator,

>that allows any Genesis game be played online.

>So far I have held 5 NHL94 online leagues with overall 25 finnish players

>participated.

>I have had a hard work converting NHL2002 fanatics to try play NHL94

>online.

>But once tried they have liked it alot :)

>

>If you are interested about this netplay option please reply and I'll give

>more detailed info about all this, and maybe we can play few games of NHL94

>online :)

>

>Jarkko

>email: japeho00@oppi.edu.ouka.fi

Look how the time flies. When I emailed you we had played 5 leagues against your 12, and now we are "leading" with 20-16 :D

Anyway.. We have been planning to start a continuous multiple season league now when there's the NHL94 editor on its way that would help us to organize the drafts and transactions. Your NHL95.com site has been the biggest influence for that for sure!

about you thinking you'd get smoked on Sega NHL94, I don't believe that at all! (nor do I believe Sega NHL94 veteran would get smoked on PC NHL95 either..)

In our Finnish leagues there's been as many PC NHL95 and SNES NHL94 veterans as there's been ones who've just played Sega NHL94. They've done as good as the others, and even better (in our latest league finals SNES 94 veteran beat PC 95 veteran in a thrilling matchup that went to game7) A PC 95 veteran came in 3rd and it was just the 4th place that a Sega 94 veteran could do this time. Of course you need to learn the use of the manual goalie to have success, but other than that, it's just the same game, really! (We could discuss more about the slight differencies of the versions in some other topic perhaps?)

about you wanting to capture league highlights I'd suggest you to use a TVout optioned video card and using the dualview option plugin the composite cable to a VCR (or better yet S-video(or composite/component) to a DVD-recorder! and just hit the record button.

(I think you'd need to play the NHL95 from windows98 DOS prompt or with a DOSBOX emulator for this, but I'm not sure.

Also you'd need a TV card to get the videos to your PC, if you're using VCR recording method. But if you have a DVD recorder, you wouldn't need the TV card for it would automatically make mpeg2 videofiles to your DVD disc.

There's other options as well to record screen such as screencapture programs, but you need to have a powerful PC to record it smoothly..

I have captured lots of NHL94 hightlights with a program called Hypercam and even full games (with a VCR recording method) ( just league finals)

about ½ years ago someone coded an option to record videos in Gens emulator, and it has been VERY useful (you can easily record full matches and they will only take 100k space or so, and the Gens emulator also has an option to convert the recorded game into an .AVI file so it's perfect)

I hope you will get your recordings under way.. I would be very interested to see other players' highlights and even full games to see different playing styles of this game.

swos

Hey Man, I talked to you a long time ago too. I was and stil am living in the Oshawa area and wasn't able to make it out your way with too many commitments etc.. but it's good to still see you guys playing it.

I noticed on your site you said you couldn't run 95 with dosbox but it works great for me using it.

To swos,

Wow you kept that old email...I used to keep everything people sent me in hotmail but i got of a bunch a while ago. I kept everyones email addresses though.

20 seasons eh? Nicely done, if only we had kept up with doing 3 seasons per year we'd still be ahead. We can only do 1 season per year now, and that's only 20 games + a playoffs + a final tourney. People just can't find the time anymore. Well it's all about priorities to me, I'm busy too, but one night every month is more than do-able...

Re:getting smoked... ok maybe I'd have a chance at winning. But like u said, not knowing how to use my goalie is a big disadvantage. I still don't know why they didn't include it on PC.

Re:capturing PC league highights...sounds like i need to buy some hardware to do it (no dvd recorder on my old Win98 P2 350). Maybe i'll just use a camcorder or my cell (Motorala V220). I think I tried Hypercam once, or HyperSnap. Someone else suggested FRAPs but i couldn't get it to work. A long time ago I looked for free video capture s/w to no avail...

To mack...

>Hey Man, I talked to you a long time ago too. I was and stil am living in the

>Oshawa area and wasn't able to make it out your way with too many

>commitments etc.. but it's good to still see you guys playing it.

>

>I noticed on your site you said you couldn't run 95 with dosbox but it works

>great for me using it.

Actually I don't run it on XP, someone else in the league has it working but using PC speaker. Did you get sound to work?

Ya we're still playin, but it's tougher to meet as we get older...ofcourse we'll always exist, just need 4 people and a workable machine. If you ever change your mind then say so. Oshawa ain't that far from where my division plays (downtown near Skydome or at my place in Richmond Hill).

Also I've been talking with a guy in Ottawa and we might be adding them to the league, meaning 5-6 new teams!! Have you ever seen a non-sim league span across the province?? That's some serious headline news...

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been trying to play NHL 95 for years and can never get it to work. It failed on windows XP, Then I tried it on another Windows XP and it worked, but after the opening commentary the game fucked up and froze. Ive tried different copies too but I guess I have bad luck. :(

It looks like an awesome game. I like the different shades of white for the cie color, but mostly I love the fact that it has regular season mode. NHLPA 93 is my favorite game in th EA series so Goalie control isnt a big issue for me obviously. I think its overated. Like you say, its more of a chess match without it, and it takes too long to gain control anyway and is a pain in the ass.

Is there any way to download NHL 95 from your website? I run on an old piece of s**t windows 98. Thanks! The editor looks fun to play with too for team uniforms.

• 4 months later...
Ive been trying to play NHL 95 for years and can never get it to work. It failed on windows XP, Then I tried it on another Windows XP and it worked, but after the opening commentary the game fucked up and froze. Ive tried different copies too but I guess I have bad luck. :(

Buy an old PC 200Mhz or something with SB 16, install win98 and there you go. Buy it from some ebay and pay max. 20€ for it, that's the way we did it ;) Got it to run on my recent actual pc with win XP as well with emulators, but not with sounds since the current sound cards are too sophicticated. And the sounds are the salt in that game so could've not done it without 'em :)

We've been trying to get screenshots from the game but haven't managed to do so. If anyone here knows which program is able to do it, please reply!