NHL'94 Forums

HERE IT IS.

trudatman

whaaa! ....that's enough. I've had it with your stupid comments about how you think the SNES is better than the Genesis.

You don't give any good reasons and you don't back them up; whaaa!

well, I've done it before and I guess I need to do it again.

for you Genessisies: get out your Speak-And-Spell and your Crybaby-to-English dictionaries, because I don't want you to claim you didn't understand this.

the following is why the SNES NHL '94 is supremely better than the Genesis NHL '94.

Genesis pluses:

-line changes fatigue bars reflect substitutions made (not just original lineups).

-battery for records

SNES pluses:

-line change button has only one use -- line changes.

-instant goalie control with the simple press of a button

-instant right defenseman control with the simple press of a button

-instant left defenseman control with the simple press of a button

-players are not on two teams at once

-more precise puck/stick control

-more precise skating control

-instant stand-fallen-player-up control with the simple press of a button

feel free to say that the Genesis version of NHL '93 is better than the SNES version of NHL '93, because that is tru

(I could itemize that for you, too, but I don't want to overwhelm you with the truth).

feel free to say that the Genesis NHL '92 is better than the SNES NHL '93 (again, it's tru), but for the sake of your own appearances, folks,

please don't ever say that the Genesis version of NHL '94 is better than the SNES version of NHL '94.

thank you.

stay smiling.

soon.

-Tru

for you Genessisies: get out your Speak-And-Spell and your Crybaby-to-English dictionaries, because I don't want you to claim you didn't understand this.

the following is why the SNES NHL '94 is supremely better than the Genesis NHL '94.

Genesis pluses:

-line changes fatigue bars reflect substitutions made (not just original lineups).

-battery for records

SNES pluses:

feel free to say that the Genesis version of NHL '93 is better than the SNES version of NHL '93, because that is tru

(I could itemize that for you, too, but I don't want to overwhelm you with the truth).

feel free to say that the Genesis NHL '92 is better than the SNES NHL '93 (again, it's tru), but for the sake of your own appearances, folks,

please don't ever say that the Genesis version of NHL '94 is better than the SNES version of NHL '94.

thank you.

stay smiling.

soon.

-Tru

interesting points to make, but at the end of the day i still feel like 94 for genesis was the best. it dont get any simpler then a three button controller, dont get me wrong nintendo's controller is the blue print for all controllers today but it was too damn small, and caused alot of hand cramps. sega's was the right size for me, so i perfer it.

wow seems like everysingle post trudatman makes he tries to diss genesis and say snes is superior. You actually made another thread about this? Geez, theres a good reason genesis players out number snes players 10:1 on this site. You always try to make an argument of this when there isn't one. It's a personal preference, just leave it at that.

lmao,

please stop trying to impose your opinion as being

supremely better than
MOST of the ppl on this site. (Gens)

Why does it offend you everytime a post about anything gens is up? Yeah, snes is much better. Let everybody make their own choice. O ya, thats right they already have.

Geez, theres a good reason genesis players out number snes players 10:1 on this site.

If there's ten times as many gens players to snes playes....why isnt there ten times as many leagues?

You must lower your number HABS...lower your number I say! It is not 10 to 1!

(just having fun)

you're right.... everyone enjoys their own system regardless and cannot be convinced otherwise.

ANOTHER snes vs gens thread? Honestly. How many of these do we really need? You're not even comparing apples to apples here. Aside from the actual name of the game, they are so completely different that there can be no comparison. You wouldn't even know it was the same game unless you saw the box. And even then, the boxes were different.

You're not even comparing apples to apples here. Aside from the actual name of the game, they are so completely different that there can be no comparison. You wouldn't even know it was the same game unless you saw the box. And even then, the boxes were different.

Verily, it is true. It is like comparing cricket to female mud wrestling. Without the box, you'd have no chance.

4g4tvlj.jpg66djuxs.jpg

Genesis pluses:

-battery for records

SNES pluses:

thank you.

stay smiling.

soon.

-Tru

Wow. It's not enough that you have to criticize those who prefer the Genesis version, but you also sink even lower as to replace my words with "whaaa" and tell us to get a Speak-And-Spell and Crybaby-to-English dictionaries.

Just give it up. You're not convincing anyone while at the same time making yourself look even more foolish than before. Just do everyone a favor and stop wasting forum space with your posts.

"Please don't ever say that the Genesis version of NHL '94 is better than the SNES version of NHL '94"? Just who the hell do you think you are?

as a guy who has played seasons in both consoles, i think i could provide a fair and objective point of view on plusses and minuses of each system...something i may very well do...later tonight :D

If you do, I'm looking forward to reading it :)

I was thinking about venturing into SNES play next season, and seeing if I would have more luck :P

I've tried the Gens version, I just didn't like it. It was just too different. I mean, here I am in 2007 playing NHL94. If I wanted to play something different, I would have had many years to find something else. Why would I play a different version of NHL94 then the one I've been playing for 13 years?

Thats my reasoning. I acknowledge that genesis has a lot of things that are considered "better" like graphics and sound. (though, if people wanted graphics and sound over gameplay, the wii wouldnt be owning the ps3 in sales... right? :D) Heck, theres probably MORE reasons to like Gens over Snes. But no matter how many reasons there are, it doesnt change my personal preference. And thats what it all is... who cares what system is better in the long run? To use the same analogy, the PS3 is DEFINITELY 'better' then the Wii, yet which would I rather have? The Wii by far!

Also:

Which button is that? Select? That's the only button I know of that only has one use... I've never played with line changes on, so I wouldn't know.

Id like to preface this post by stating my true experience with both consoles. i have been playing nhl on genesis since 1992, and ive been playing nhl 94 for nearly 14 years now, i guess you could say the gens is my home system. i took up playing snes about a month ago, i experimented with snes about 5 years ago and wasnt really impressed with it, but over this last month i have probably played around a 100 games and have become quite familiar with it actually.

The goal of this post isnt to say which system is better in a matter of fact sort of way, this whole argument is based wholly on opinion, i can look at as objectively as i please, but i still cant be presenting absolute facts here since the information can be translated in several ways and still be correct.

snes plusses:

-color pictures

-photos for expansion team starters

-more detailed player cards

-one button goalie control

-one button defense control (even though i still havent figured out how to use it correctly)

-controller menu to select teams

-slicker passing (almost too easy at times though)

-skating on offense is easier to perform

-players actually have blades to skate on

-hats thrown for hat tricks on both sides of the ice and different colors

-more varied goal celebration motions

-defenders tend to stay back

-indepth player-goalie battles

snes minuses:

-inability to save lines

-no user records

-password function for playoffs

-way too easy to commit a penalty on breakaways

-pokecheck is woefully ineffective

-major league hooking by the AI which is very rarely penalized

-one timers have to be extremely perfect

-slappers are nearly useless

-skating on defense isnt up to standards to play tight d against such slick offensive skating

-checking seems largely random at times

-relatively few ways to score

-way too many posts

-way too many interference calls

-dead silent crowd

-no highlights in intermission

-no stat numbers when goals are scored

-goalies seem largely the same since they all fall for the same dekes

-goalies are rather easy to deke

-games can degenerate into deke contests

The snes provides a different experience that can be very fun for a time but can turn bland after a while, most games are largely the same and the need to strategize isnt so great. at times it can be who can out deke who and if i wanted to do that id rather go to shootout mode. This isnt to say the snes is a bad game, its actually rather good, goalie-player battles can be very entertaining and cause players to constantly think, sometimes one timers work their way into the game and it makes it even more interesting, but the amount of posts, interference calls, and other things that can happen can truly cause the game to be utterly frustrating for both parties playing. But the ease of passing and skating does allow for more consistent beautiful plays which can be appealing to the eyes.

Gens plusses:

-user records

-saved lines

-playoffs saved to battery

-individual player records saved to cards

-team records and crowd level saved to team cards

-louder crowds and organ music

-stats are displayed on every goal

-slappers are actually useful

-goalies are vastly different according to rating

-interference penalties are no where near as fickle

-more varied one timers

-floaters (backhand floaters are especially sexy)

-checking isnt anywhere near as random

-pokecheck is incredibly useful

-no where near as much hooking

-far fewer posts (id hit more posts in one snes game then i would in a whole gens season)

-highlights during intermission

-more varied gameplay, thus more strategies can be used

-goalie-player battles can be just as intense

-weight bug

Gens minuses:

-weight bug (just one of those thigns)

-black and white player photos

-must hold button to get goalie control

-passing is tougher (can be a plus depending on view)

-skating isnt as fine

-goalies tend to be a bit more eccecntric

-really weak players can be dominant (gord hynes)

-defenders dont stay as home as much

-puckhandling through traffic isnt as clean

-fewer goal celebrating animations

-pass goals (depends on view)

-inability to control defenders with push of a button

-hats only thrown on top side of ice for hat tricks, all same color

The genesis seems to have more ways to score and play defense which allows for more varied gameplay and a greater need to strategize against players and their playing styles. while the controls arent as tight, it seems more satisfying to score a goal in gens than in snes since your reduced to either dekeing or crease cutting in snes most of the time. and also since the gameplay is more varied, there is more depth and its harder to win consistently at. also the stats and ability to save line changes gives the game ab it more statistical depth and is more user friendly.

I prefer Genesis, by a rather wide margin, while the Snes does provide some unique gameplay experiences and without a doubt very good games, it doenst quite come up to snuff in my mind when compared to Gens, if you love snes, by all means keep loving it, it is indeed a solid and worthy game to the franchise and you have every right to hold it as a superior being to Gens, just know trudatman, that it is no fact, and i will dare say Gens is better than snes...in my mind atleast.

-must hold button to get goalie control

-passing is tougher (can be a plus depending on view)

-puckhandling through traffic isnt as clean

The three reasons I didn't like Gens. The goalie control is self explanitory, and the other two are related. It was just FAR too easy to turn over the puck. You almost had to have the guy you're passing to be completely wide open to be able to receive the pass. Puckhandling through traffic is nearly impossible, as the puck always gets bounced off your stick. Just too frustrating for me.

I didn't have much against the game play itself. Maybe it's because I've played so much NHL 95 and 96 on the Genesis (many years ago though) that I'm just used to it. The delay to gain goalie control isn't that big of a problem, and hey, it goes for both teams anyway. What I found more annoying was rather the opposite, gaining goalie control by accident (while just performing a pass). But that's probably just a thing to get used to.

Genesis cons:

-Unable to "Exit" a game in progress

-No controller/team selection screen

-I personally don't like the graphics and really don't like the sound effects

Genesis pros:

-Puck physics seem to be better, more redirections, be it skates, sticks or posts and the ability to one-time lose pucks.

-The obvious battery backup related stuff

-Intro music <3

Xstioph, looks like we're on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to graphics and sound effects. While I love the goalie animations that the SNES has, I thought that the rest of the graphics were kind of bland, and I hated how the sound effects were muted. Granted, the muffled effect is great when the puck hits the goalie pads, but not so much for everything else like the music. But hey, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

As much as I love the Genesis version of the game, I haven't seen this problem of the game. The pokecheck is very effective in the game, unfortunately, the change player button is the same button as the pokecheck button on defense. Try imagining that you have a pokecheck lined up... then you change to a player who is away from the play (it's rare, but it happens), which usually results in an opponent goal due to the inability to regain control of the old player.

That's probably the only true gripe I have with the game.

As much as I love the Genesis version of the game, I haven't seen this problem of the game. The pokecheck is very effective in the game, unfortunately, the change player button is the same button as the pokecheck button on defense. Try imagining that you have a pokecheck lined up... then you change to a player who is away from the play (it's rare, but it happens), which usually results in an opponent goal due to the inability to regain control of the old player.

That's probably the only true gripe I have with the game.

The 'pokecheck' is actually just a trip, so, really, I think it's good that sometimes it screws a player over and results in a goal. It's a ridiculously powerful move that lets any player take out any other player...

• 2 weeks later...

The disparity between the slapshots of the SNES and the Genesis is the major flaw I run into playing on the SNES. Floaters were also mentioned by the list, and while I haven't looked, it would be too bad if the SNES was devoid of those as well.

Then you are down to scoring with CCs, dekes, and onetimers on the SNES.

However, I love the SNES's defensive control with the triggers and the one-touch goalie control. I agree that the SNES offers crisper skating and more precise passing. The player control has a distinctly digital feel to it while the Genesis seems more analog.

I grew up playing more SNES than Genesis and I had a great time with it. Though I always missed the user records and the sole reason I played SNES was because that was the system I owned. If only the goalie control and the defensive control from SNES could be married to the GEN version.

• 2 years later...

bumping this classic thread to point out what happens when you try to select the "SNES Game Bugs" in the top menu here, versus the myriad of problems the Beta (read: Genesis version) had. they haven't passed a law requiring the destruction of Genesis ROMs and cartridges yet? hmm...

Edited by trudatman

[blushes]

thanks.