NHL'94 Forums

NHL 89! Finally released

Steveyzerman

Hey guys,

I have just finished off my NHL 89 hack, it has kept being delayed due to technical failures (much like Microsoft and Sony's products, lol).

The Rom is based in the 88-89 season where Calgary won thier last Stanley cup also the last canadian showdon in the playoffs.

There is a bug in the game which does not display America's and canada's logo properly.

Also if there is any errors in the rosters such as player ratings and etc, then PM me and I will put them in the next version of this game. I was not around during the NHL 88-89 season so there may be mistakes.

Anyway enjoy this fine release!

Download here: http://rapidshare.com/files/57020538/NHL_1989_v1d.bin

Past versions

http://rapidshare.com/files/56133706/NHL_1989_v1c.bin (For some reason I cant upload this via the attachments, I keep getting an error message)

screen3vf5.th.jpg

screen4kp9.th.jpg

Thats pretty fing sweet stevie! Just played a game using my favorite team that year (LA of course) and WOW.

There is a colour bug, where green seems to show up where it shouldnt, think its suppose to be black.

I will note this is the first year, that I really became a hockey fan! (Gretzky's first year as a King)

I think Bernie Nicholls ratings gotta be bumped up, he had 70 G, 80 A that year. Bobby Carpenter shot gotta be toned down also, its way too strong for a guy that only scored 11 G in 39 GP.

Thats pretty fing sweet stevie! Just played a game using my favorite team that year (LA of course) and WOW.

There is a colour bug, where green seems to show up where it shouldnt, think its suppose to be black.

I will note this is the first year, that I really became a hockey fan! (Gretzky's first year as a King)

I think Bernie Nicholls ratings gotta be bumped up, he had 70 G, 80 A that year. Bobby Carpenter shot gotta be toned down also, its way too strong for a guy that only scored 11 G in 39 GP.

The colour bug I will look at, I will change Bernie Nicholl's stats and I will change Bobby Carpenter's shot as well in the next version and I am delighted you liked the game.

The Rom is based in the 88-89 season where Calgary won thier last Stanley cup

This will be changing, roughly in about 9 months...

lol, Oh really!

A great first attempt. Keep it up.

thanks Mack

I was thinking though that if youre going by the year before for ratings, Nicholls only had 32 G, 46 A in 65 games. That is still impressive, but probally worth around a 80 OV. As for Carpenter he had 19 G, 33 A in 71 games, which still wouldnt be worth that big shot he currently has.

I have edited those Nicholls is 86 and Carpenter is 78, I will release the next rom when I fixed the colour bug and I found a new bug in the game which I need to fix. I will relase a newer version soon!

I have just released the next version (the link is on the first post of this topic)

Changes made:

Fixed both colour bugs when certain teams were selected

Edited player stats to conform with the 87 - 88 season

Changed all ridiculous ratings ie: Cliff Ronning was a overall 92 and now he is an 82

Changed to be made

Need to still fix Americas and Canadas logo

Enjoy and if there is any problems or bugs please let me know.

Impressive work SY, though there are some things that can be improved.

The menu logos you did don't look very crisp, this probably has to do with not optimizing the logos and pallet(s) before you imported them leaving TM to do the majority of the rendering. Basically the BGR values in the logo are different from the values in the particular pallets.

I have a method for doing them that ensures getting the best aesthetic result possible. I'd be happy to share it with you if you want.

Glancing at the rink logos real quick they seem to have the same defects, TM was forced to do most of the rendering since the colors in your logos didn't match the uniform palette(s). It's best to using as many variations of a hue as possible when doing a uniform since the more colors you use in the uniform palette the more detail you will end up with your logo, and uniform too.

For instance you only used one color red for team Canada. Had you used a darker shade of red, a lighter, and then a lightest your uniforms would have more depth and would make you logo would look much better..It's hard enough trying to make anything looks presentable with 8 or 9 colors.

Come to think of it I should probably do a tutorial on this

Wboy gave me a massive grid with all the tile offsets for editing the crease if you want to change it to the right era lmk and I can explain editing the rink tiles.

Finally you should zip the rom if you want to make it an attachment. I don't think this forum supports bin attachments.

Don't take it personal SY I'm only being objective and I know how much work goes into one of these. You know I'll to help you in any way I can.

Great job, and I look forward to the next release.

I've got to say that I really enjoyed it, kinks and all! Nicely done, SY, and thank you.

My only true qualms are the following:

1.) Why is Gretzky rated so low? He's a 90, even though coming off the 87-88 season, he scored 149 pts in only 64 games! Pro-rated over an 80 games season, he would have run away with the Art Ross. And he won the Conn Smythe that year in the playoffs. That deserves at a 95 rating, no?

2.) Where's Bobby Smith? He was Montreal's #1 center (not to mention my favorite Hab ever) in both the 87-88 and 88-89 seasons. He scored 93 points in the season you based the game on. Surely there's a spot for him between Naslund and Richer on Montreal's first line.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed this ROM. Thanks for making the effort, SY. I really appreciate it.

PS - Anyone up for some NHL 89 netplay? AIM me: awesomerino

Impressive work SY, though there are some things that can be improved.

The menu logos you did don't look very crisp, this probably has to do with not optimizing the logos and pallet(s) before you imported them leaving TM to do the majority of the rendering. Basically the BGR values in the logo are different from the values in the particular pallets.

I have a method for doing them that ensures getting the best aesthetic result possible. I'd be happy to share it with you if you want.

Glancing at the rink logos real quick they seem to have the same defects, TM was forced to do most of the rendering since the colors in your logos didn't match the uniform palette(s). It's best to using as many variations of a hue as possible when doing a uniform since the more colors you use in the uniform palette the more detail you will end up with your logo, and uniform too.

For instance you only used one color red for team Canada. Had you used a darker shade of red, a lighter, and then a lightest your uniforms would have more depth and would make you logo would look much better..It's hard enough trying to make anything looks presentable with 8 or 9 colors.

Come to think of it I should probably do a tutorial on this

Wboy gave me a massive grid with all the tile offsets for editing the crease if you want to change it to the right era lmk and I can explain editing the rink tiles.

Finally you should zip the rom if you want to make it an attachment. I don't think this forum supports bin attachments.

Don't take it personal SY I'm only being objective and I know how much work goes into one of these. You know I'll to help you in any way I can.

Great job, and I look forward to the next release.

Thanks for the advice clockwise, some of the logos could use some working on especially the NY Rangers logo, I could really use some help with the logos and editing the rink tiles as well. Canada uniforms are yucky and they will be fixed.

I've got to say that I really enjoyed it, kinks and all! Nicely done, SY, and thank you.

My only true qualms are the following:

1.) Why is Gretzky rated so low? He's a 90, even though coming off the 87-88 season, he scored 149 pts in only 64 games! Pro-rated over an 80 games season, he would have run away with the Art Ross. And he won the Conn Smythe that year in the playoffs. That deserves at a 95 rating, no?

2.) Where's Bobby Smith? He was Montreal's #1 center (not to mention my favorite Hab ever) in both the 87-88 and 88-89 seasons. He scored 93 points in the season you based the game on. Surely there's a spot for him between Naslund and Richer on Montreal's first line.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed this ROM. Thanks for making the effort, SY. I really appreciate it.

PS - Anyone up for some NHL 89 netplay? AIM me: awesomerino

I got to do redo Gretsky again, I messed up some stats without thinking.

I think I might have deleted Bobby Smith's entry by mistake, I will put him back in, sorry for that mess up.

I think it is safe to say there will be another release of NHL 89, so keep your eyes peeled!

I've tried both releases and they won't load up. Do I need to hex edit the checksum or sommat?

it has worked for me and everyone else, what do you get on the screen and what emulator are you using!

I just get a black screen. I am Using GENS Plus version 0.0.3.39

Edit: It won't work in Gens Movie 9f either

Try using Kega Fusion!

You've got an unhealthy obsession with green :D

Other than that, nicely done.

lol, Thanks, I love the colour green by the way!

• 3 weeks later...