NHL'94 Forums

To All The "Good" Players Out There...

roccopan

Maybe I'm just crying, whatever...

But just a friendly suggestion for all the "good" players out there.

You know the ones who know all the cheesy scoring tricks and use it contantly, all game long...

Can you PLEASE try and pick crappier teams next time around?

I mean, don't you like a challenge?

I'm the kind of player who like to create plays, pass the puck around, just have fun...

but there are too many people here "In it to win it" and insist on LIGHTING UP new players and those who just play for fun.

I don't mind you being "cheep" or whatever people call it, but just choose a less skilled team

Leave Chicago, Detroit, etc for the new players who are just learning!

It's for the greater good and long term success of the league.

Thanks!

:)

Rocco, I hear ya on the cheezy scoring tricks. I was a major hater of those moves before I started playing more. To me, the moves are cheezy but they are stoppable. At least the cut across crease move.

Hell, I actually like to use it especially when things aren't going well with the breakaways and one timers.

Not a big fan of rolling things up either. I've been in a few games where i get up by 6 goals or so and trhen just dump it in and run the clock. Dude actually thanked me afterwards for not running it up. Just shows a little respect for your opponent.

Have to disagree with your distain for the people who are just 'in it to win it'. That's what competition is all about bro. It's fun, but in the end we all want to crush our opponent. Else why would we compete? This aint a friendly game of euchre or scrabble.........

It's

NHL94 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a big fan of running up the score in league, i will in exhibition though. The crease cuts are definitely not the most annoying thing in the game.

Rocco, I totally understand where you're coming from. And in one of the first leagues I chose Tampa as my team. I ended up with a 500 record that year. But I'm here to win and stay competitive, not EVERY 'good' player will pick a shitty team, so if I took the 'bad' team route again, I wouldnt be able to compete.

All that needs to happen here is for the 'new' 'bottom rung' players to practice, practice, practice, practice, lose, learn, etc and then we'll build an awesome pool of ALL awesome players.

But just a friendly suggestion for all the "good" players out there.

You know the ones who know all the cheesy scoring tricks and use it contantly, all game long...

Can you PLEASE try and pick crappier teams next time around?

I mean, don't you like a challenge?

I'm the kind of player who like to create plays, pass the puck around, just have fun...

but there are too many people here "In it to win it" and insist on LIGHTING UP new players and those who just play for fun.

I don't mind you being "cheep" or whatever people call it, but just choose a less skilled team

Leave Chicago, Detroit, etc for the new players who are just learning!

It's for the greater good and long term success of the league.

Thanks!

:)

Let me get this straight (and please don't take this the wrong way), you want good players to lower their game so a person who isn't as committed to this game has a fighting chance?

There's people who joined this site at a novice level, took more than their fair share of beatings, practiced, learned, and developed their game over time and now are top contenders. That's quite a big pair you have to come along and request the veteran players (some who have been playing this game longer than some guys in the community have been alive) ease up their game.

And besides, it's sort of an insult to the guys who are coming on here to get better in this game and have a fun time learning the ropes even if it means some tough losses. I think most would agree that they want the best from everyone they play. Why would anyone want it any different?

I picked my team not because it was the best or worst out there, but because it's the team that I have the most fun playing with. It's all about having fun for me. Sure, I compete. I try to win every game I start playing. I say try because, well, look at my record.

Granted, I got the team I wanted. If I didn't get my top choice, the teams I ranked below it were probably ones that I thought would give me the best chance of winning the game.

I've always hated the 'skate across the crease' goal. I hated it back when I was 13 and the game first came out, and I hate it to this day. But, like someone said earlier in this thread, it's still a totally stoppable shot. It just requires mastery of the manual goalie, which is a skill you'll need to develop anyway. Besides, it's nice to have something in NHL 94 that gets your blood boiling a little, because it just motivates you to take your game up a notch and score more. There's no greater satisfaction than to beat someone who's pulled out all the stops and tricks in an attempt to beat you.

So chin up, fella! And keep playing!

rocco, I understand your beef with people running up the score...it's a pretty shitty thing to do to somebody. That being said, I'm new too and don't know exactly how goals for/against factor into possible tie-breakers. If they factor in, you're complaint would do better to go to the people who make the rules; If I got into a tie-breaker and lost due to having less goals because I eased up, I'd be pretty unhappy about it. Can anyone tell me the procedure for a tie-breaker? Do goals for/against factor in, or is it just a matter of having a tie-breaker series, or what?

Moving on, I gotta say your complaint about 'people who just want to have fun' is total house-league. Personally I find competetion to be pretty boring when either side isn't giving 100%. Even if you're on the losing end, it's not a true victory if deep down you know the other person let you win. Just request friendly novice exhibtion matches in the server if you wanna play for fun. or play against the computer :)

Let me get this straight (and please don't take this the wrong way), you want good players to lower their game so a person who isn't as committed to this game has a fighting chance?

When the score is something like 10-2 in the second period.. seriously, lighten up. When you play shinny with your little brother, do you embarrass him with every move you know? Give the guy the a chance to learn. Take him out when he does something really bad, but let other things slide a bit. Practice moves that are harder for you to pull off, like Gretzky-esque one-timer passes from behind the net. When pro NHLers hold training camps with 12-year olds, do they take their hardest slapshots and use their best moves and saves? Make your moves a little less perfect than usual so the guy has a chance to learn how to counter them. If everything he does fails, he won't know what to do in order to be better. People need that positive reinforcement.

If you're playing a guy roughly at the same level as you and you have a good game and the score gets crazy, sure, light it up -- the next game will likely be closer. But when you know the guy is completely outmatched, there's no reason to run up the score. No one gains anything from it (unless you're insecure and need to win 14-3 to feel good about yourself. Or you want to scare the guy off so he never plays you again).

And the idea that it's about 'commitment' is specious.

Things are a little different when it comes to competitive leagues (vs exhibition games), since GF/GA difference can be important, but still, if you're winning 10-2, you're probably doing well enough in the league that a few goals isn't going to make much of a difference.

When the score is something like 10-2 in the second period.. seriously, lighten up. When you play shinny with your little brother, do you embarrass him with every move you know? Give the guy the a chance to learn. Take him out when he does something really bad, but let other things slide a bit. Practice moves that are harder for you to pull off, like Gretzky-esque one-timer passes from behind the net. When pro NHLers hold training camps with 12-year olds, do they take their hardest slapshots and use their best moves and saves? Make your moves a little less perfect than usual so the guy has a chance to learn how to counter them. If everything he does fails, he won't know what to do in order to be better. People need that positive reinforcement.

If you're playing a guy roughly at the same level as you and you have a good game and the score gets crazy, sure, light it up -- the next game will likely be closer. But when you know the guy is completely outmatched, there's no reason to run up the score. No one gains anything from it (unless you're insecure and need to win 14-3 to feel good about yourself. Or you want to scare the guy off so he never plays you again).

Good points smoz. And you caught how I tried to toss in my speculative commitment comment in there too. You are a worthy adversary indeed.

I just want to point out that there's no way that I should be assigned a less/more skilled team depending on my ability to play the game.

Running up the score is an entirely different matter. I agree that if I feel someone is completely outmatched when I play that I will do more moves that I feel need fine tuning and practice. Most recently displayed when I played Carse in the GDL2 Semis the other day.

However, if it's a stats league (ie GDL), sorry but I would hope everyone is bringing whatever they can for the entire game. When player stats are on the line, I think you just have to toughen up the skin if you're on the short end of a blowout... god knows I've been there.

Things are a little different when it comes to competitive leagues (vs exhibition games), since GF/GA difference can be important, but still, if you're winning 10-2, you're probably doing well enough in the league that a few goals isn't going to make much of a difference.

I agree man. Being a new coach to the league myself, I wouldn't appreciate any of the vets running up a 15-2 score. And the good thing is I've never played a game where I was out matched and the guy ran up the score. I've played exhibition out matched games. I remember the first time I ever played anyone online it was against gr8199, who could have easily beaten my 20-0, but he was pretty sensitive to the fact I was a rookie and it only ended up being a 6-0 game. He also gave me great pointers and it really improved my game, and it's also happened with other out matching opponents where they kind of brought me along instead of slaughtering me. One of the great things about this site is the courtesy of the vets to the rooks. If I were slaughtered every time I played, I would have probably been discouraged from joining the league. I still have a league game now and than where I get smoked, but I realize it's all a learning process and there's things to improve upon.

As for the "cheap goals" and the vets picking top teams, cheap goals suck but learn to defend them and prevent those chances. Also, everyone here likes playing NHL 94, and enjoys the competitive atmosphere of the league. If we didn't enjoy the atmosphere and competitiveness of the league, we simply would just play exhibition games instead of league games.

-Vinnie

No one gains anything from it (unless you're insecure and need to win 14-3 to feel good about yourself. Or you want to scare the guy off so he never plays you again).

I guess I'm insecure...

In the end it really is about just having fun. Call me a selfish prick but I want to have fun too. And not giving 100% ain't fun at all. And no f'ing way I'm taking ottawa. That sure aint fun when every pass hits the back of your skates. If I see a shot, should I not take it? Not taking a good shot opportunity sure doesn't sound like fun either. If someone plays half a$$ against me cause he's up a few, that ain't fun, its more insulting.

I have delivered and received many beatings. To those who I may have beaten and insulted or offended, I offer my sincerest apologies. To those who have kicked my ass, I thank you, congratulate you, respect and learn from you.

No one said play 'half a$$ed'. All I said was if I'm up 6 goals or so in the 3rd, I decide to dump it in instead of attacking. That still leaves the player a chance to try and score. I'll still play 'full on' defensively. Just don't see any point turning a 6-0 game into a 12-1 13-2 game. Don't see how ANYONE benefits from those types of scores.

In the end tho, doesn't it really come down to the 'George Teague' complaint???? Remember when T.O. danced on the dallas Star TWICE? George Teague comes rushing down the field and attempts to blast TO while he's celebrating. The ironic thing there was had he exerted half that enrgy covbering him, TO wouldn't have scored twice. So the moral is, if you don't want to get 12 rung up on ya, ..........

practice practice practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace it

In the end it really is about just having fun. Call me a selfish prick but I want to have fun too. And not giving 100% ain't fun at all.

Have some empathy for the other guy :P

Playing at 75% effort is 0% fun?

Playing at 100% effort and giving the other guy 0% fun, well, that takes some of the fun out of it for me. Maybe I'm just soft that way.

On the other hand, I guess playing guys way below one's level isn't as fun as playing guys at the same level, so better to whoop 'em -- if they can't take it, they won't ask to play again. Maximal fun through discouraging playing each other / encouraging playing other people. And it's hard to know how the other guy is going to handle it.

And no f'ing way I'm taking ottawa. That sure aint fun when every pass hits the back of your skates.

Yeah, as long as the league is set up so it's random, people should be able to pick who they want.. (picking chicago, though, is of course the height of lameness.. "yay i won the league with the most dominant team in the game i'm awesome"). I'd like to see the leagues draft in reverse order, though, to give weaker players better teams. It's a bit harder to feel bad about crushing CHI with SJ.

If someone plays half a$$ against me cause he's up a few, that ain't fun, its more insulting.

The thing is, you say that because you know that the next game you have a chance to beat him or at least have a close game. I'm sure if you stepped on the ice with Chris Pronger, you'd be pissed at him for not putting your head through the glass... right... :)

I just want to point out that there's no way that I should be assigned a less/more skilled team depending on my ability to play the game.

Why not? In a league with unequal teams, what is wrong with the weaker players getting first shot at the stronger teams? The competition would be so much better. What point is there in having a good player use a good team to beat a bad player with a mediocre team?

I'm also in favour of giving weaker players improved draft positions in draft leagues. A league where every game is potentially up for grabs would be great. I'm a .500 player as it is (draft league, anyway :) Classic league isn't going so well so far!).

I just don't see what's so wrong with giving bad players good teams and good players bad teams. As long as your team is about equal with the teams of the other players who are about your equal, then what's the big problem? It won't make a difference in your games vs the guys who are just as good as you; and you're still usually going to beat the bad players, but at least the games will be competitive.

Running up the score is an entirely different matter. I agree that if I feel someone is completely outmatched when I play that I will do more moves that I feel need fine tuning and practice.

Coo'

However, if it's a stats league (ie GDL), sorry but I would hope everyone is bringing whatever they can for the entire game. When player stats are on the line, I think you just have to toughen up the skin if you're on the short end of a blowout... god knows I've been there.

Ehh.. debatable.. If the draft gives weaker players better teams, then sure. If teams are about equal, then the ability to beat a guy 22-0 and get 15 pts with one player just doesn't seem that meaningful. There's no money at the end for the guy with the most goals... at the end of the day, it's just a game, and making 15 minutes of some guys day suck just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Reading this thread.... I was thinking to myself, "I'm not going to post, because everyone is an ignorant butthole and only cares about their own opinion regarding this."

Well here's my opinion (now I'm an ignorant butthole):

I personally believe that running up the score on newbies is like beating up a kid with down syndrome. If you are going to run up the score, pick on a kid your own size. It is cool if you run up the score on me since I can hold my own against anyone; but it really goes against of a lot of what Evan built in this league (sportsmanship) to run up the score on someone without the skills and experience some other players have. I was happy to hear about kupuck19's story saying how gr81 laid back and threw out pointers. That is awesome. We should hear more stories like that.

Draft league is different of course.... people masturbate over their stats, so we can't take that away from them. In addition, that league is pretty much a veteran only league (with small exceptions), so vets should be cool about taking a beating, because they should be able to dish out a few of their own.

I hope that people who are using the argument of playing at a level of 100% competitiveness are saying this for only when they play against similarly matched or better opponents. No one respects someone who beats up on an inferior opponent.

Yeah, as long as the league is set up so it's random, people should be able to pick who they want.. (picking chicago, though, is of course the height of lameness.. "yay i won the league with the most dominant team in the game i'm awesome").

Oh, stop. I lost like 70% of my games with Edmonton last year. I think I'm entitled to see if it's just me or what.

Taking time off my self-imposed sabatical to reply here...

I know the feeling of getting pasted 10-0 after 2 periods. The urge to just half-ass it and let in another 5 or 6 goals crossed the mind very often. The fact of the matter is, anyone can win on any given day. Even though against the established stars of this board, the game for lesser players like myself is decided well before the drop of the puck, you can't stop playing hard. I personally would rather give a good account of myself in a lopsided loss than just give up the moment I go down 5-0 after 2 minutes.

Also, as for running up the score: I never do it, kinda' because I never have a chance to :), but I'd never run it up on someone. Besides, when I lead, I'm more inclined to play defensive hockey to try and preserve it, and to develop a defensive mentality.

Regarding what kupuck and matt said, thanks very much I appreciate the kind words.

The bottom line is, I want any new member coming into the community to get better as a player. Only way I can do that is by playing them and giving advice and some other tricks(such as the weight bug and tutorial clockwise setup).

We all have to remember(vets especially), that for the community and competition to get better we should be helping everyone out.

Regarding what kupuck and matt said, thanks very much I appreciate the kind words.

The bottom line is, I want any new members coming into the community to get better as a player. Only way I can do that is by playing them and giving advice and some other tricks(such as the weight bug and tutorial clockwise setup).

We all have to remember(vets especially), that for the community and competition to get better we should be helping everyone out.

Damn Mike, I thought the weight bug was something you only shared with me???? lol kidding.

Ya,I second how cool gr8199 was when I first started. He taught me a lot and my game has progressed toalmost what it was 13 years ago (see big fish story).

Peace it.

Oh, stop. I lost like 70% of my games with Edmonton last year. I think I'm entitled to see if it's just me or what.

I meant if you're already a player who could win most games even with a middling team like Edmonton, then picking Chicago is pretty lame, because the season would be a complete cakewalk.

Anyway.. to sum up what I've been trying to get across..

What really bugged me here is that there are people who think there is absolutely nothing wrong with demolishing weaker players, and then they practically even blame the other guy for not being good enough or 'committed' enough when the whoop-ee complains that perhaps the guy should have been happy with winning by 10 goals, instead of going for 15. Have a bit of empathy for the guy sitting on the other end of that 'net connection.

The "golden rule" is incomplete. It shouldn't be"treat others as you want to be treated;" it should be "treat others as you would want to be treated if your positions were reversed." Just because you want to do some.. interesting.. things with Angelina Jolie, doesn't mean that she wants you to jump her if you ever get within 10 feet of her.

Rocco and Szomo whats killing me is that neither of you have lost a league game by more than 5-6 goals. I guess I'm missing where this 'complaint/animosity/jealousy' is coming from. Whatever you want to call it.

Have you gotten steam rolled in exibition games and taken it personally?

BTW, I'm personally calling Bill Bellichek and telling him he needs to take it easy on the Bills today. And also, he needs to release Brady/Moss/Vrabel and Seymour tomorrow to keep things level.

Might as well add my two cents on this issue.

I hate the cross-crease move as well, but it teaches you to hone your manual goaltending skills to a competent level (I had to learn this the hard way).

As for me, I haven't participated in the art of raping my opponents self-esteem with a 13-2 victory, mainly because A) I can't get any offense going or :D I squander the lead in the third period.

I can say that I have been a frequent victim of this sort of thing, however (I like to call it a sort of initiative hazing into the league). Yes, I know it's a game, but it gets me frustrated when I lose by these amounts to opponents simply because I couldn't figure their strategies out (guess that's what happens when you're new to this sort of thing...*shrugs*).

Then again, you can only get better by playing better players (the AI can only do so much for your game), so it's a bit of a complex situation.

Rocco and Szomo whats killing me is that neither of you have lost a league game by more than 5-6 goals. I guess I'm missing where this 'complaint/animosity/jealousy' is coming from. Whatever you want to call it.

Have you gotten steam rolled in exibition games and taken it personally?

BTW, I'm personally calling Bill Bellichek and telling him he needs to take it easy on the Bills today. And also, he needs to release Brady/Moss/Vrabel and Seymour tomorrow to keep things level.

I'm not worried about myself here -- I tend to believe I have a chance to win any single game I'm in (even though, considering my record, I really don't, and I've lost some games by 9+ goals in the past). But I see people handing out 20-0 whoopings once in a while where the other guy gets 3 shots, and I think it's unnecessary. At the very least, it just makes the game drag on (everyone hates it when the other guy stops the play with the goalie after every shot, right?).

The first time I played Habs, he had me down 6-0 eleven seconds in the 2nd period ( http://65.36.133.56/nhl94/recap.aspx?gameid=429 ). I was clearly outclassed the moment we stepped on the 8bit ice and could do nothing to stop him. He probably could have made it close to 15-0, but he didn't, and I definitely enjoyed the game more because of it.

As for pro leagues, they actually do try to keep things level, through the draft (and salary caps, to some extent..)

Wow, I was kind of suprise to see so many hits... just sadly I think a few people missed the point.

Maybe I mis-stated, but I think what I mean is more like this...

Anyone who's been around here for a while will remember some of the best NHL94 players using crappy teams (kgman with Hartford for example). I'd like to think that was because guys with serious skill like a real challenge. I would just think that a knowingly good player would log on and purposly choose a solid team know they'd come on here and just kick the crap out of people! haha

I was just thinking, in an ideal world and for the betterment of the site in general, it would be nice to see solid teams picking crappier teams and leaving the better teams for guys who are learning so instead of winning 10-0, maybe you win 5-1... haha wouldn't that be sweet?

Or dare I suggest people voluntarily switching to crappier teams once they realize they're dominating their league?? wow! What a crazy concept!

Guys, go out.. have fun... and play fair.. if someone stinks - try to take it easy, espeically the newbies, or these guys won't stick around (then you won't have ANYONE to play! :D )

so, the main idea is:

have a "handicap" league. like in Touring Car racing where the top cars in a race gain penalty weight for the next races.

so at the end of a season, rank the players, and rank the teams and assign according to rank. would make for closer games overall i believe.

and to whoever said "take it easy, just play to have fun": you know what's fun? Winning. Winning is fun.