NHL'94 Forums

GENS C NJ Devils: Pray for Richer

willsolo

Consistency. The phrase that perhaps best surmises the New Jersey Devils' current season is, ironically, a concept that has all but evaded the 5-13 team, who seem to be building a comfortable nest in the basement of the Wales Conference Atlantic division. "All around, we definitely need to improve," laments captain Scott Stevens. Offense, defense, everything. It's one of those 'chicken or the egg' situations. We can't win if we don't score, but scoring is irrelevant when we don't play good defense." Stephen Richer takes the role of the prodigal son; on fire one game and then scoreless the next two. A frustrated Richer comments, "I guess it is kinda weird, if I don't score, we don't seem to win." Coupled with the barely-there performances of Claude Lemiuex and Alexander Semak (despite a big game against Winnipeg this week, an indicator of a turnaround?), the problems at the Meadowlands are very apparent, yet the team still struggles to do anything about them.

Says coach Will Tallman, "It is common knowledge that the Devils suck in NHL '94. I can't turn crap into gold. If I did, I'd be rich for several reasons; the fact that I can turn crap into gold and the literal value of the golden crap."