NHL'94 Forums

WE WANT THE-LEAGUE... WE WANT THE-LEAGUE !!!

IAmFleury'sHipCheck

You get 2 points for your Warriors reference since that guy was thrown off the cliff in Commando.

And I raise you Spicoli

spicoli.jpg

Far as the league goes:

The final build for season 3 is here. Skoolyard and Gr8199 enter the fray with 07 San Jose, and 2ndandBowery join forces with Icestorm using the 98 Sabres.

Season can start this week, however the site isn't ready yet..But the scores can be uploaded any time.

I'm interested in hearing suggestions from you guys on how deadlines and "league night" should be set up.

You get 2 points for your Warriors reference since that guy was thrown off the cliff in Commando.

And I raise you Spicoli

spicoli.jpg

Far as the league goes:

The final build for season 3 is here. Skoolyard and Gr8199 enter the fray with 07 San Jose, and 2ndandBowery join forces with Icestorm using the 98 Sabres.

Season can start this week, however the site isn't ready yet..But the scores can be uploaded any time.

I'm interested in hearing suggestions from you guys on how deadlines and "league night" should be set up.

No shirt,

No shoes,

NO DICE!

Spicoli is awesome.

But I'll take your bet and re-raise you with a taste of your own medicine, Tom Drake and the crew from The Wild Life. How can you go wrong with the creators of Fast Times, Chris Penn, Rick Moranis and Bananarama?

200px-Wild_life.jpg

Far as the league goes:

I've done some pondering, and this is what I think:

6 teams is one fifth of the NHL's 30 teams, so if we made the number of games proportionate to that, we'd be looking to play something in the neighborhood of 16.4 games. Having each team play each time at home once brings us to 12 games, which seems a little short. If we split the league into two Conferences, though, and each team played every team in the league twice (once at home, once away) and then played each team in their division another 2 times (once at home, once away), I believe that brings the game count up to 18, which seems like a fair number to me. It's not too daunting, but not brief to the point of being pointless. If each team played two games a week, the league would be ready for playoffs in less than 2-and-a-half months, so the season would fit the fast-paced action that 2on2 provides. Having each team play conference teams more often will allow for some mini-rivalries to develop, and would also make the Championship interesting as the teams would have only met twice prior.

Am I over-analyzing this?

The divisions could be as simple as California (Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose) vs. The World (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Vancouver).

Yeah... I'm definitely thinking about this too much.

Well - that's my two cents!

--2&B

Am I over-analyzing this?

Over analyzing this, 2&B? Not at all. You're in good company and I like the thought process.

In my opinion, given the dynamic of this league, I think it's important to point out that this 2on2 group is a dedicated bunch of guys who thoroughly enjoy 2on2. Gr81 and Skool, are you with me on that statement? Actually, I think it's awesome you 2 joined up. We have an added level of competition thrown into the mix with these 2 veteran coaches.

I don't have any great science as to the number of games I would like to see in the lg. I would like to see us go with one of two options:

1. A long season (I think we can do it with this group, I just don't want people to lose interest if they fall too far behind in playing games or losing interest due to a small number of Ws)

2. Or a shorter season with quicker timelines throughout the reg season and especially the playoffs so we can keep seasons flowing with some regularity.

I would prefer #2... a shorter season with the commitment of more seasons with the same format immediately following. Having consistent formats will help for meaningful stats, records, etc. And if we can deliver smoothly run seasons, more people will be attracted to join.

I know my thinking on the format is simple, but if we have 6 teams, I think we should play at least each team 4 times with no conferences. With that said, that would mean that each team would play 20 games. I think that should be the low end of games but as I said, I don't want people losing interest through a longer season.

Then Top 3 teams make the playoffs, 1st place gets the Bye. In that format, it would place a greater emphasis on the regular season games and it would be a shorter playoffs. The shorter playoffs is key since that seems to be the momentum killer of most leagues.

-1st rd b/w 2 vs 3 would be a best of 7.

-Championship series would be (maybe I'm getting too crazy here) an all out grudge match best of 9. Hey, why not mix it up a little???

Let me know your thoughts on my format. If you think that's stupid, say it but lets find a format that we're all willing to go the distance with.

Most importantly Jesus, I think the key to the survival of any good lg is that schedules and expectations with deadlines are set before the season starts.

EA76 and I just chatted about this for a little bit - I definitely agree with him on this point. Obviously there will be leeway in when the games are played, but getting too lax with the scheduling could cause the league to crumble. I think I speak for EA76, and maybe alot of other 2on2-ers when I say that as long as any flexibility given with scheduling isn't taken advantage of, the league will be a success.

Maybe something like bi-monthly deadlines and schedules based around "league nights" would be efficient? Maybe weekly check-ups are needed? Who knows...

-2&B

yah game night is happening for sure, I think sunday night and ? What nights are good for everybody.

And im pretty sure its 4 games against each team so 20 game sched. Pretty simple. 1 conf 4/6 make playoffs.

Great stuff..Deadlines will be strictly enforced with consideration to the format they may be monthly..EA's idea of only 3 teams making the playoffs with one having a bye is crazy, and I really like it. Is that cool, top 3? Speak up.

For this season I think 20 games per team will be the setup.

Going to put a poll up now for League Night and everyone can vote which days they want. The top 2 will be the leagues nights for this season.

Also I have some time off work on Monday and will spend a good amount of time on the site.

Here's 2on2's logo.

What I need to know is do you guys want to wait till I'm finished or start the season now?

no way dont make it 3, if 3 teams have no chance at 3rd seed they could disappear. And why do a bye, most ppl hate byes...I know if I got 1st seed I dont want to wait 3 weeks+ to play my first playoff game. top 4/6 is def the best way to go.

I really dont understand top 3, is there any reason you guys want this?

also i think we need hokkee in here, guaranteed to show up.

Make it clear to the guys joining and who may struggle, that if they dont complete their games they'll be blacklisted from other leagues too.

I agree with HABS. We should make it top 4 out of 6 teams make the playoffs. 1st seed plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd.

I think it makes it a lot simpler that way because if we make it Top 3 then some people might not show up if they know they have no chance at the Post-season.

I think top 3 is still pretty awesome. 3 is still half the lg. I think there should be more emphasis on regular season games and this is a great format to do it. We should be open to try some different things and see what works. If it doesn't work, we can go back to the traditional format.

Then for the playoffs, we set up the schedule for 2 nights during the same week (that schedule set before the season starts). Start another new season the week after (that is pending how much time it takes Jesus to prepare the next season, I really don't know what kind of time commitment that is once you have your format set up).

Also, I would prefer to wait for Jesus to complete the site before we start it up. Classic is still going on so this is probably the best time to get it done and have it go off without a hitch.

Sdogg is ready for anything, meanwhile I will continue seeking practice games to loosen all the rust out of my game, how about 4 way play with the new rom full five on five with 4 players that to me is the most thrilling, but any format is coolllllll.