NHL'94 Forums

Chicago owner Writz died today

Steveyzerman

Obviously, condolences for the man and his surrounding family. However, this might be a huge landmark moment for the Blackhawks returning to NHL competitiveness. Unless the team now belongs to someone who shares Wirtz's views...

Is the funeral going to be blacked out?

Obviously, condolences for the man and his surrounding family. However, this might be a huge landmark moment for the Blackhawks returning to NHL competitiveness. Unless the team now belongs to someone who shares Wirtz's views...

Is the funeral going to be blacked out?

LOL

Does anyone else hear *ding dong the witch is dead*?

his funeral will be televised nationally but blacked out in Chicago.

:D

That is the best post I've ever seen on here. It's hard to say "man I'm glad he's gone" but you can't help but be happy about the doors this opens for the Blackhawks. Everyone wants to give that guy credit for helping merge the WHA with the NHL but he helped stop it from happening on several different merger proposals prior to that (read a book called 'the Rebel League' about the WHA and it talks about the multiple merger proposals that the NHL blocked because they refused to take the league seriously [until it started taking their superstars]). He only agreed to it when the NHL was in bad shape and needed the merger to survive. He was a dinosaur who was too stupid to understand how important it was for the Hawks franchise to have a television deal for home games, and with the NHL slipping in popularity, a move like that would be a HUGE help for the team. I'm not going to back down from my opinions (and the public's general opinion) of Wirtz because he died - it is a shame and I of course send my condolences to his family, but in terms of the success of the Blackhawks franchise this is fantastic, if that isn't too inappropriate of a word to use.

However, I'm assuming that Wirtz's son is going to take over and as far as I know he was kinda like his "right hand man" and that scares me - however, maybe the apple falls a little farther from the tree and he realizes the opportunity this entails. I'm optimistic. Maybe we'll know more by the season opener, which I will of course be attending, but it won't make a difference until next year anyway.