NHL'94 Forums

New Kaillera Update

Scribe99

After reading the thread on the new p2p kaillera client I downloaded it to test it out. For those that like connecting to servers, this file still allows that and even shows you over 300 servers. All of the familiar servers are on there like the NHL '94 server. You can connect to players peer-to-peer if you so choose, but that is just one of the available options. It also has a built-in movie record option.

This is compatible with all of the gens emulators and is essentially an updated kaillera.dll file. If you want to host a p2p connection you need to either be directly connected to the internet or have access to your router in order to open up port 27886.

I think everyone should get this and update their kaillera file because then people who would like to host will be able to, and those who would like to have the option of connecting to someone else or connecting to a server, like usual, will be able to. This update reportedly greatly reduces lag response time. I'll probably test this out more with some other players and report back.

http://kaillera.movsq.net/#

Here is a youtube tutorial focused on playing p2p games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uVZblgdcE

-server-based play

-direct connection (p2p) play

-game recording

Sounds amazing!

How does the movie recording work? Does it go straight to AVI, or does it record the button presses to a file, then lets you record to AVI from that file?

After reading the thread on the new p2p kaillera client I downloaded it to test it out. For those that like connecting to servers, this file still allows that and even shows you over 300 servers. All of the familiar servers are on there like the NHL '94 server. You can connect to players peer-to-peer if you so choose, but that is just one of the available options. It also has a built-in movie record option.

This is compatible with all of the gens emulators and is essentially an updated kaillera.dll file. If you want to host a p2p connection you need to either be directly connected to the internet or have access to your router in order to open up port 27886.

I think everyone should get this and update their kaillera file because then people who would like to host will be able to, and those who would like to have the option of connecting to someone else or connecting to a server, like usual, will be able to. This update reportedly greatly reduces lag response time. I'll probably test this out more with some other players and report back.

http://kaillera.movsq.net/#

Here is a youtube tutorial focused on playing p2p games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uVZblgdcE

-server-based play

-direct connection (p2p) play

-game recording

Sounds amazing!

How does the movie recording work? Does it go straight to AVI, or does it record the button presses to a file, then lets you record to AVI from that file?

I haven't done it yet myself, but from talking to angryjay and the Fins, it seems that the recording option creates a movie file of some sort (I forget the file extension) that can be played back in this version of Kaillera in "playback" mode, and the playback can be captured to video with "MovieGens", a term which brings exactly one hit on Google that actually refers to emulator playback. I don't know, there's probably another way to capture the playback. Obviously, movies made with Genesis emulators exist, though perhaps made with non-Gens emulators.

When I get some time I'll be all over testing this. P2P is where its at. (at least in theory)

It still amazes me that there is such little interest. I'd actually test it tonight but I just cracked my laptop screen a few hours ago :P

Damn shame too. The connection in this Hilton is kickin'.

When I get some time I'll be all over testing this. P2P is where its at. (at least in theory)

It still amazes me that there is such little interest. I'd actually test it tonight but I just cracked my laptop screen a few hours ago :P

Damn shame too. The connection in this Hilton is kickin'.

Sorry to hear about the laptop bhf :P

The nice thing with this new client is that there is also a public waiting games lobby for those looking to play p2p games, ala zbattle. I wasn't around to test it out yesterday but I'm hoping today I'll be able to get some games going.

More people should get on board with this. It combines p2p play, server play, movie recording, and a zbattle style lobby. Almost everything is here that anyone could want.

Tested the client earlier today it looks good, though I did find a minor bug with the Anti 3d master list.

One thing I can say is if you have encountered lag with another player in a Kaillera server you can probably expect the same degree of latency with this client in P2P. However this is the optimal client for players dialing long distance in remote locals. But I doesn't look like it supports multi tap for 2on2 players.

One thing is certain it's far superior to the original client, which is almost 5 years old now.

Tested the client earlier today it looks good, though I did find a minor bug with the Anti 3d master list.

One thing I can say is if you have encountered lag with another player in a Kaillera server you can probably expect the same degree of latency with this client in P2P. However this is the optimal client for players dialing long distance in remote locals. But I doesn't look like it supports multi tap for 2on2 players.

One thing is certain it's far superior to the original client, which is almost 5 years old now.

The one thing, people need to understand what delay is. A server-hosted game may play smoothly without choppiness, but because the default setting of "good" on kaillera introduces a delay of 8 frames regardles of your ping, the control is never going to be perfect or resemble playing offline or on a console.

The great part about p2p play is that because you remove the server as the middle man, you can cut your response delay in half. A ping of 60 on p2p play only uses 3-4 frames of delay, where that same ping on a kaillera server with the good setting is using 8 frames of delay.

Hence, the game on p2p behaves much more like the real thing. I tried playing p2p today, and the control was greatly improved. The improvement in goalie goal is really noticeable too. I can select him so much faster because my button presses are not getting ignored or delayed as much.

• 5 weeks later...
Scribe99 got me up and running with this tonight. It's crazy-good. I may never go back.

Yeah, the p2p is great.

When you're not doing p2p, the server list refreshes waaaay faster, too.

The first person to completely figure out this movie thing gets my undying respect...and the chance to help me test out something I think will be huge for the community.

You click the option [record movie] before a game (can be used for server or p2p play), and then the emulator records a playback file. To watch it, you go to netplay and then select playback.

To then turn these playback files into movie files which can be uploaded to youtube, try a screen capturing program like camstudio. Run it while you are watching the playback of your replay.

http://camstudio.org/

Now, you could run camstudio as you are playing so that you wouldn't have to record the replay of your game, but camstudio could drain your pc's resources, and that is why I prefer the option of having the emulator record a small playback file.

So are you saying the entire game would be housed in the small playback file, or just part of it where you press a button and record a snippet?

I think when you click record game before you play, it keeps recording until you either press the button again or if you close the ROM. Then the movie compresses into one small playback file which goes in your kaillera folder I think.

Then I believe you can use that camstudio thing if you want to capture it to put it on youtube.

I think when you click record game before you play, it keeps recording until you either press the button again or if you close the ROM. Then the movie compresses into one small playback file which goes in your kaillera folder I think.

Then I believe you can use that camstudio thing if you want to capture it to put it on youtube.

It's be great if the file format put out by the new kailera were compatible with that version of Gens that can record straight to AVI.

You click the option [record movie] before a game (can be used for server or p2p play), and then the emulator records a playback file. To watch it, you go to netplay and then select playback.

To then turn these playback files into movie files which can be uploaded to youtube, try a screen capturing program like camstudio. Run it while you are watching the playback of your replay.

<a href="http://camstudio.org/" target="_blank">http://camstudio.org/</a>

Now, you could run camstudio as you are playing so that you wouldn't have to record the replay of your game, but camstudio could drain your pc's resources, and that is why I prefer the option of having the emulator record a small playback file.

I started messing around with this, however, how do I splice and combine video files to make a highlight reel using this program?

I started messing around with this, however, how do I splice and combine video files to make a highlight reel using this program?

I haven't made a highlight reel before so I'm not sure which is the best way to edit everything together. However, with camstudio, you can pause the recording, load another clip, and then resume recording. It might be a crude way to do it, not sure because I haven't gotten that far.