NHL'94 Forums

What hockey needs

savenhl

More goals: bigger nets, smaller goalie equipment so the goalies don't look like bomb technicians - whatever way feasible..and fights.

The league also has a young super gifted player who's the face of the league..Yet he won't be seen in many markets this year...Maybe this would change if the NHL was on a REAL network in the U.S, an American TSN so to speak. (yeah it's a Nordic | Canadian sport but 24 of the 30 teams are in the U.S.)

It's the only thing that can save the NHL imo from extinction (as we know it) in the next 20 years.

I hope they never go to bigger nets...I think that's changing the game way too much

I would definately like to see the size of the equipment on the goalies reduced even more....(doesn't evgeni nabokov look like the fattest goalie you've ever seen with all that gear on?)

As for fighting, it'd be nice to see some more fighting...but for the 1-2 fights a game I see now I wouldn't be terribly upset to see it remain status quo.

Let's take teams out of the crappy markets and put em where they belong.

I hope they never go to bigger nets...I think that's changing the game way too much

I would definately like to see the size of the equipment on the goalies reduced even more....(doesn't evgeni nabokov look like the fattest goalie you've ever seen with all that gear on?)

As for fighting, it'd be nice to see some more fighting...but for the 1-2 fights a game I see now I wouldn't be terribly upset to see it remain status quo.

Let's take teams out of the crappy markets and put em where they belong.

I can't say I'd really like to see the size of the net increased, but there is no foreseeable alternative..

The league has been downsizing goalie equipment for years now and it doesn't look like they would make the equipment small enough in a way that would increase scoring without jeopardizing the safety of the tenders to where they would be afraid to make a save.

If the NBA increased the size of the ball and didn't alter the size of the hoop accordingly scoring would decrease naturally, and perhaps drastically like in the NHL.

I can't say I'd really like to see the size of the net increased, but there is no foreseeable alternative..

The league has been downsizing goalie equipment for years now and it doesn't look like they would make the equipment small enough in a way that would increase scoring without jeopardizing the safety of the tenders to where they would be afraid to make a save.

If the NBA increased the size of the ball and didn't alter the size of the hoop accordingly scoring would decrease naturally, and perhaps drastically like in the NHL.

If they want to change something to the game that's been around for a long time....I'd rather see them reduce the rosters (get rid of the so called energy line.) and go 4 on 4 for the whole game. The game seems much faster and more exciting to me with 4 on 4 and the extra open ice.

If they want to change something to the game that's been around for a long time....I'd rather see them reduce the rosters (get rid of the so called energy line.) and go 4 on 4 for the whole game. The game seems much faster and more exciting to me with 4 on 4 and the extra open ice.

4on4 is great, but this will never happen. I think we gota go to bigger nets. But the real problem is still the trap, too much neutral zone hockey. Maybe they can make trapping a penalty. Like in the nba illegal defence. But the nhl will never die mr clockwise.

They should get rid of offsides but keep two-line passes illegal to prevent cherry-picking. That would open the game up. I get so sick of seeing teams get the puck only to lose the puck by dumping it into the offensive end. There should be more advantages to maintaining possession and making passes. I like watching olympic hokey and Minnesota Gophers hockey solely because the rink size is bigger and there is more open space to facilitate passing and playmaking.

I wouldn't like to see 4 on 4 all game, but I'd like to see it used instead of shootouts.

Tie game - 5 min overtime.

Still tied - 5 min 4 on 4.

Still tied - 5 min 3 on 3.

Still tied - 5 min 2 on 2.

Still tied - Maybe a shootout.

3 on 3 hockey is closer to real hockey and a better way to settle things than a shootout, which is not real hockey by any stretch of the imagination.

The NHLPA would probably fight to the death arguing that roster reduction would be taking away NHL jobs?

I wouldn't like to see 4 on 4 all game, but I'd like to see it used instead of shootouts.

3 on 3 hockey is closer to real hockey and a better way to settle things than a shootout, which is not real hockey by any stretch of the imagination.

After a few years, I'm still not sold on the shootout. I enjoy casually watching all-world players take breakaways against all-world netminders, but the shootout is a silly way to decide a game when points are on the line.

Would much rather see them go to 3 on 3 after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 than going to the shootout.

I think this would be the best idea....but with tv time they may not allow it?

The NHLPA would probably fight to the death arguing that roster reduction would be taking away NHL jobs?

you're definately right...4 on 4 will never happen...I'd just rather see it than bigger nets(but bigger nets seems to be the most likely option)

After a few years, I'm still not sold on the shootout. I enjoy casually watching all-world players take breakaways against all-world netminders, but the shootout is a silly way to decide a game when points are on the line.

Would much rather see them go to 3 on 3 after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 than going to the shootout.

I'd rather see it go straight to 3 on 3 as well...more likely to have have odd man rushes.

I guess the "Versus Network", whatever the hell that is, has a lot more clout than I thought :lol:

"None of our 87 viewing customers will stand for it! We're drawing a line in the sale Mr. Gordon Betterman!"

would those customers be 87 sidney crosby fans for number 87 who was born in the 8th month, 7th day of '87?

I'm curious about the idea of no offside, but no two-line passing... would that work? it SOUNDS good. I want to see a few games played that way. hmm...

I don't know what you guys are on about, I like the way hockey is right now. The games don't need to be high scoring for them to be exciting. Hell, look at soccer. The games are longer and even more low scoring, and the fan base is insane. Goalies equipment is fine, net size is fine, everything is fine. I love watching hockey the way it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what you guys are on about, I like the way hockey is right now. The games don't need to be high scoring for them to be exciting. Hell, look at soccer. The games are longer and even more low scoring, and the fan base is insane. Goalies equipment is fine, net size is fine, everything is fine. I love watching hockey the way it is.

Soccer fans are insane because, typically, the teams have been around for a long time (not really including U.S. soccer, I assume) and the fan base has had time to grow with the team. If the NHL stopped taking teams out of areas where they belonged and stopped putting them in regions where hockey doesn't belong -- and ice doesn't even occur naturally -- then you'd see more of the same with hockey. Until that is fixed, I think hockey needs something to draw new viewers in.

Those of us who have been hockey fans forever will probably stick by the game no matter what happens. My concern isn't with people who already like hockey. It's with people who aren't hockey fans yet.

I don't know what you guys are on about, I like the way hockey is right now. The games don't need to be high scoring for them to be exciting. Goalies equipment is fine, net size is fine, everything is fine. I love watching hockey the way it is.

I agree with Logan.

Why is everyone complaining about how "low-scoring" games are? Man, look at the Eastern Conference. Almost like every game the score is like 6-3 or 5-4 etc.

I should be the one complaining about low scoring games. Almost every Vancouver Canucks game the score is like 3-2, 2-1, 1-0, etc.

The nets should be made bigger only for the Canucks since they can't seem to score. :)

Though it sounds terrible, I think I'd like the nets to be enlarged. The players and equipment are just so much bigger now. If you watch the old goalies, they had to be so much more acrobatic to cover the net. Guys would score with slapshots coming over the blueline, without a screen.

6x4 is such a great set of numbers, though...

• 2 months later...

i really like this idea. except i think it should be more like:

tie game - 5 min overtime

still tied - 5 min 4 on 4

still tied - 5 min 3 on 3

still tied - TIE.

OR

tie game - 10 min. 4 on 4

still tied - 5 min 3 on 3

still tied - TIE.

i don't see what's wrong with just calling it a tie if two teams both play great, neither of them deserve to lose it in a shootout. i don't was the nhl as much as i used to, but i have season tickets to the hershey bears in the AHL. i liked the shootout initialy, but it's kind of worn on me. It's not good for pro hockey. It's more like charlie and the mighty ducks playing the hawks...

They should get rid of offsides but keep two-line passes illegal to prevent cherry-picking. That would open the game up. I get so sick of seeing teams get the puck only to lose the puck by dumping it into the offensive end. There should be more advantages to maintaining possession and making passes. I like watching olympic hokey and Minnesota Gophers hockey solely because the rink size is bigger and there is more open space to facilitate passing and playmaking.

I think this would be an interesting move and I've contemplated it in the past, but with a couple changes - namely more lines on the ice. You would divide the ice into either 5 or 6 zones (six might be best to keep icing intact), with two-line-passes being illegal the extent of the ice...the offensive zone would probably have to be smaller, but with no offsides, a clearance out of the zone has less impact. I'm thinking 30 feet between each zone, with the nets moved to 180 feet apart. Not sure if you can be ahead of the second line and still be legal (effectively getting rid of offsides), but it's something to consider.

This is an idea I'm using in creating my own game (it's a field sport), since the NHL did away with the two-line-pass rules, I'm adopting them and refining them, so I've spent some time considering this option.

---

Regarding overtime rules...get rid of it. Just have ties, and I'm even one of those whack-jobs that says get rid of them in the playoffs too - series are first to 8 but give the high seed a point (to tiebreak). Considering that there isn't really a good points system with shootouts (there's 3-2-1-0, 0 for all losses but 3 for Rwins, 2 for OTwins, 1 for SOwins, they all kinda suck), just do a basic W-T-L.

make the ice bigger damnit... and the neutral zone trap will be diminished. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this... and I waited 3 months to contribute to this topic.

international ice hockey has like 7 more feet on each side... and they used to use it in the olympics but I think I read the next olympics will have NHL size ice? I could be wrong...

oh yes, and make Roberto Luongo remove like 20 pillows from his 7XL Jersey before he plays.

International ice isnt the solution i think, you make bigger ice, you make it harder to score from the outside because the ice is so big teams will just clog the middle and make teams work from the outside and with more space, it means your further away and on worse angles to score. Look at european stats, its not like they have guys doing any better in terms of goals and points on a per game basis.

What needs to be down is to get rid of 4-6 teams, you take away jobs from guys who shouldnt be in the league because they are marginal, you create more scoring lines, better balance, and more excitement because you see guys on 3rd and 4th lines who can score instead of block shots and jam the puck along the boards and clutch and grab people who actually have skill.

Its the draft league theory we have, have 20 teams instead of 24, better teams, better balance, better everything. 30 teams in the nhl? there were just 21 teams 16 years ago, youre telling me that there are 200 NHL caliber players that were out there before who werent in the NHL? im not buying it because the product is watered down, some teams cant even fill two scoring lines, thats a shame.