NHL'94 Forums

Future of the GDL, Dmitry's Status and GDL 3

DaDonch44

Hey Guys,

I finally got a hold of Dmitry today via email.

He said that he doesn't have the time to play or do much administration, and that he has lost some interest in it. But that he would make time to do any necessary database updates that need to be done, and to teach me how to run the database, so we can get the next season up and running again. He said he would also make some space for us to upload stories on the main page as well. He said that he would probably get some interest back again once another season is started up. I told him that in the meantime, I would take over commish responsibilities until he is ready to come back. But he has offered his help, and I personally think that is great.

So for now, I will take over responsibility as commish if you guys want to, but I am more than happy to have any help that anyone would want to give.

As far as next season, I have thought about a few ideas:

GDL 3 ROM

With Clockwise's help, I am learning how to ROM edit. I am creating a GDL3 ROM using wboy's 30 team ROM with updated intro screens, team banners, logos, uniforms, player cards (thanks Clockwise). I figured that the GDL needed to have a ROM all its own. I want to be able to know how to edit everything so when the teams are selected again, I will be able to get the ROM set up to accept rosters from the draft.

Teams from 94 - 08

I was thinking that all teams from 1994 - 2008 should be able to be used in the league to add some variety. The players would still be from 94, but teams like the Avalanche, Nordiques, Thrashers, Jets, Coyotes could all be selected by owners. The only team I would leave out is the Mighty Ducks (I'll still use the Ducks) since they are the same team.

Duplicate Players

EA Sports was just lazy! So I'm saying duplicates should not be allowed.

Schedule Generator

I started trying to make a schedule generator in VB to make it easier than having someone sit down and write it all out. I'll get my friend who helped with the Record Keeper to help me get it done so I can concentrate on the ROM.

Season and Playoff Deadlines

For the most part the regular season hasn't been an issue, but...

-Deadlines will be set before the start of the season.

-People who do not play their games will be replaced in a timely fashion. (1 warning then the boot)

-Games that do not get played will be listed as a DNP in the Draft excel sheet and they will be penalized if they wish to participate the following season by their draft status.

-If games do not get played and one party in the matchup is the problem, then the game will result in a forfeiture by the irresponsible player. I'm not pointing fingers, but the situations we have had between EA chasing around Carse and KGMan will not happen again.

-Playoff rounds will be given ONE (1) week to complete each. I understand that real life has priority, but I think this is manageable and some would say too much time.

-All playoff series, will be in its entirety in ONE (1) sitting.

Draft Lottery

I have thought long and hard about this and trying to be fair to everyone is a top priority. Here is what I came up with:

There will be 2 Lotteries:

1st Lottery: Includes Non-Playoff Teams (each given a PERCENTAGE to get the top pick)

2nd Lottery: Includes First Round Eliminations and New Coaches into the League (each given an EQUAL shot)

The rest of the draft will be determined using the Draft excel sheet I have posted in an earlier thread.

I know there will be some disagreement about where the new coaches end up, but like I said I was trying to be fair to everyone. They will not get a top pick, but they won't get shafted and move to the bottom of the list.

Draft

- Hybrid Draft

- First 3 Rounds will be NON-SNAKING, Rounds 4-12 will be SNAKING.

This way the advantage of a good draft pick helps but doesn't dominate the draft.

Game Settings

-5 Minute Periods, Penalties On, No Offsides, 5 Min OTs (they are usually over in the first minute anyways)

-Boarding Penalty - 3 Minutes (I think that a player should be penalized more for injuring someone)

EA and KGMan please try to get the series done ASAP. I know EA you have been on his case, and I just sent him a PM myself today. But we need to get things going so more people can be involved and get another season rolling.

So if the Finals are not completed by October 22nd, 2007 at 12:00 AM EST, EA since you have made attempts to schedule, you will be declared the winner, and the GDL Cup Champion for Season 2.

These topics can be discussed, but I figured it was time that someone took the bull by the horns. The league has been dormant for too long, and as many people have said its too great a league for it to just go away.

Don aka DaDonch44

"Interim Commish"

I love all the suggestions Don. Cant dissagree with any point that is made.

Love the ideas bro. COunt me in 100%

Other then the boarding penalty. That should be rewarded not penalized. Sincerely, Claud Lemieux

:D

agreed. The team with the injured player should be penalized for not paying attention! :cough: Eric Lindros :cough: :D

ya, what ummmm, awwwwww, hmmmm. that p[revious poster said.

RJ Umbarger

Donch - Gotta say thanks for steppin up to the plate to ensure this league continues to run. My hat goes off to you. If there is anything you need from me let me know. I'm sure others out there as well are willing to help out too!

Draft

- Hybrid Draft

- First 3 Rounds will be NON-SNAKING, Rounds 4-12 will be SNAKING.

This way the advantage of a good draft pick helps but doesn't dominate the draft.

I'm not sure if I follow how a non-snaking draft would stop the advantage of a good draft pick. I would think a snaking draft would ensure the most level playing field with teams. To me, this is what makes the Draft league so special. Balance.

My suggestion: Have a snaking draft, but let the people with the top picks choose where they want to be in the snake.

I'm willing to bet there will be a ton of interest in this league.

I guess another thing to think about is: Who to let in? 1st come 1st serve? Reliable vets?

I'm thinking stay around the same number of teams; we had 24 last season.

But we could expand to 30... is that too many though?

1. Returning Players

2. Reliable Vets who have previously played in the GDL before

3. Reliable Vets who have not played in the GDL before

4. Reliable New Guys who have not played in the GDL before (but maybe in another league)

5. New Guys who have never been in a league that can prove to be reliable through playing vets

6. Waiting list with anyone else who wants a shot.

Did I miss anyone?

Allow the original Devils GM to throw his hat in here...

It would look TERRIBLE if the GDL Finals were not played...so I propose a very odd, yet workable solution.

*waits for everyone to laugh in his face*

If kgman does not show up a few days before the deadline, EA could play against me in the finals. I put the team together, and albeit it'd probably mean an easy sweep for him, wouldn't it be better than just giving the Blackhawks the title without working for it. I might not win any games, but at the very least, you'd make EA earn it, and competition is what this league is all about. If you want a finals to be played and can't get kgman to come out of the cave, I'll be the sacrificial lamb so that we get an actual finals.

There you go. Discuss :D

Allow the original Devils GM to throw his hat in here...

It would look TERRIBLE if the GDL Finals were not played...so I propose a very odd, yet workable solution.

*waits for everyone to laugh in his face*

If kgman does not show up a few days before the deadline, EA could play against me in the finals. I put the team together, and albeit it'd probably mean an easy sweep for him, wouldn't it be better than just giving the Blackhawks the title without working for it. I might not win any games, but at the very least, you'd make EA earn it, and competition is what this league is all about. If you want a finals to be played and can't get kgman to come out of the cave, I'll be the sacrificial lamb so that we get an actual finals.

There you go. Discuss :D

I like it, and if anything it might make kgman show up for the final series.

Good idea buddy... :)

Great news that the draft league is coming back. :D I have to hand it to DaDonch for going out of his way and making it happen.

Agree on 99% of the suggestions DaDonch, except for the hybrid draft. Like EA was saying I think part of the fun with the snake draft is even if you get a lower pick, you can still build a quality roster and use a different strategy that fits your spot.

Great news that the draft league is coming back. :D I have to hand it to DaDonch for going out of his way and making it happen.

Agree on 99% of the suggestions DaDonch, except for the hybrid draft. Like EA was saying I think part of the fun with the snake draft is even if you get a lower pick, you can still build a quality roster and use a different strategy that fits your spot.

Thanks Scribe,

Since the Draft seems to be a point of concern for some people, I will wait until we get more of the signups complete, so we know that more people are paying attention, and then put up another poll (Later this week). After the vote, if more people favor the snaking draft compared to the idea I mentioned, then we can stay with the snaking draft. Sound fair?

I like it, and if anything it might make kgman show up for the final series.

Good idea buddy... :angry:

Believe me, I don't want to be known as the Paper Tiger Champ. I really think he will try to make it for this. I don't think his ego would allow him to miss out on possibly earning another championship. Especially since those acclamades help fuel some of his self proclaimed "best player in the world" threads you see from time to time. lol

But I agree with you SSiG, I don't want it just handed over. Thanks for stepping up and recognizing that.

-5 Minute Periods, Penalties On, No Offsides, 5 Min OTs (they are usually over in the first minute anyways)

-Boarding Penalty - 3 Minutes (I think that a player should be penalized more for injuring someone)

Whoa, you would be able to set that up? If you can record injury penalties, could we record that injury stat that I have expressed a couple times on the forum? That is, who gets injured the most and who injures the most players? That would be awesome.

I was thinking injurees should be celebrated as well. And that if you injure a player, they should only be put in the box for 1 min. Just a thought.

Whoa, you would be able to set that up? If you can record injury penalties, could we record that injury stat that I have expressed a couple times on the forum? That is, who gets injured the most and who injures the most players? That would be awesome.

I was thinking injurees should be celebrated as well. And that if you injure a player, they should only be put in the box for 1 min. Just a thought.

Yeah from the ROM side, it's just a quick change in NOSE.

wboy put all the timer settings and everything in it.

There are 2 Roughing penalties listed in the game, one is when a player gets injured and the other is just a regular Roughing penalty. So you just change the name of the penalty (Boarding seems to be the universal name for it b/c there is limited space for a name) and the length of the penalty is customizable.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to track injuries. I'll mention it to Dmitry and try to set something up for it.

I'll make another poll for the length of the Boarding call. Personally, I thought why should the team that caused the injury be celebrated for taking out another player. I guess I'm too much of a hockey purist.

Believe me, I don't want to be known as the Paper Tiger Champ. I really think he will try to make it for this. I don't think his ego would allow him to miss out on possibly earning another championship. Especially since those acclamades help fuel some of his self proclaimed "best player in the world" threads you see from time to time. lol

But I agree with you SSiG, I don't want it just handed over. Thanks for stepping up and recognizing that.

Well, prepare to play me just incase :angry:

...then again, you don't have to do much to prepare to play me.

Thanks Scribe,

Since the Draft seems to be a point of concern for some people, I will wait until we get more of the signups complete, so we know that more people are paying attention, and then put up another poll (Later this week). After the vote, if more people favor the snaking draft compared to the idea I mentioned, then we can stay with the snaking draft. Sound fair?

Absolutely.

Yeah from the ROM side, it's just a quick change in NOSE.

I'll make another poll for the length of the Boarding call. Personally, I thought why should the team that caused the injury be celebrated for taking out another player. I guess I'm too much of a hockey purist.

Wow, that is awesome. I had no idea that could be done.

I guess the way I think about it is why should I be penalized for taking my opponent out of the game, especially when all I did was press C or sometimes even a poke check. It's not cool to see anyone get injured in real life but injuries on this platform should be celebrated since they don't happen all that much.

I agree on 99% of the suggestions DaDonch, except for the hybrid draft. Like EA was saying I think part of the fun with the snake draft is even if you get a lower pick, you can still build a quality roster and use a different strategy that fits your spot.

I agree with this because imagine when somebody gets the last pick. When it's their turn, they will end up choosing the "lower-calibre" superstars, and then the very next pick goes to someone who already has someone like Roenick, Belfour, Lemieux, etc.

And just like EA said, snake drafts are fun because even if you get a low pick you can still build your team around that.

Donch - Gotta say thanks for steppin up to the plate to ensure this league continues to run. My hat goes off to you. If there is anything you need from me let me know. I'm sure others out there as well are willing to help out too!

I'm not sure if I follow how a non-snaking draft would stop the advantage of a good draft pick. I would think a snaking draft would ensure the most level playing field with teams. To me, this is what makes the Draft league so special. Balance.

My suggestion: Have a snaking draft, but let the people with the top picks choose where they want to be in the snake.

You probably just misread dadonch, but the idea is that the weaker guys get a few rounds of better picks, but not for the whole draft.

For those who aren't converts, I will evangelize it again! :)

It'll make the league closer while not making much of a relative difference for players who are already around the same skill level (ie if you're about as good as playerX, you'll both still have similar records, since you'll have drafted around the same spot.. he may have gotten a round or two extra where he got to pick before you, though, but only by a couple spots). I think the best reason for it is to reduce the dropout rate for new guys. A second benefit is that things won't be as predictable, since the weaker guys will be more competitive and the good guys will be just heads above the mere mortals, instead of head AND shoulders :mellow:.

3 rounds right off could possibly be too much, but we can always just see how the season pans out, and change it next season. Or just do the first two rounds (WW-BWBWBW..), or a hybrid-hybrid (WW-B-WW-BWB..) -- currently proposed is (WWW-BWBWB..). In all 3 of those formats, the W(eaker) coaches get 4 of the first 6 rounds with early picks, but the position of the rounds where the B(etter) coaches get top picks changes. We could even put the non-snaking rounds later on (WB-WWW-BWB..) so everyone can get a 'dynamic duo' in the first two rounds, while the weaker players can draft a good supporting cast in the middle rounds (goalies will probably be the big equalizers).

There will be 2 Lotteries:

1st Lottery: Includes Non-Playoff Teams (each given a PERCENTAGE to get the top pick)

2nd Lottery: Includes First Round Eliminations and New Coaches into the League (each given an EQUAL shot)

The rest of the draft will be determined using the Draft excel sheet I have posted in an earlier thread.

I know there will be some disagreement about where the new coaches end up, but like I said I was trying to be fair to everyone. They will not get a top pick, but they won't get shafted and move to the bottom of the list.

I would consider giving new guys better draft positions. They're the guys most likely to drop out, because they typically aren't very good their first season. We could end up in a situation where they get shelled by everyone because the weaker coaches got to draft better players, and the better coaches are, well, better.

Maybe just put them right after the guys who missed the playoffs. I missed the playoffs by I think 1 point, so I don't really feel I need to draft better than new, inexperienced guys. So, maybe put them after the guys who missed the playoffs, but let each playoff misser choose to draft after the new guys if they want to.

I'm thinking stay around the same number of teams; we had 24 last season.

But we could expand to 30... is that too many though?

I think 30 is too many, primarily because of the goalies. I'd rather not see any goalies rated below 60, they're just toooo bad. As it is, I think all the goalies below 70 are pretty darn brutal...

I agree with this because imagine when somebody gets the last pick. When it's their turn, they will end up choosing the "lower-calibre" superstars, and then the very next pick goes to someone who already has someone like Roenick, Belfour, Lemieux, etc.

And just like EA said, snake drafts are fun because even if you get a low pick you can still build your team around that.

May I propose.. the mid-draft non-snake for-the-purpose-of-better-parity,-excitement,-and-coach-retention-while-still-getting-two-respectable-players

1: 24->1

2: 1>24

3: 24->1

4: 24->1

5: 1>24

6: 24->1

7: 1>24

8: 24->1

9: 1>24

(by 24, i mean the 24th ranked team, ie weakest coach)

Any number of rounds could be non-snaked, 2 like above, 3..

no more yake to yake action? :mellow:

you are killing my dream of the yake line donch

After reading through the no duplicate players, I immediately scrolled down looking for a response from AJ. Too funny.

What can you say? The man loves his Yakes.

After reading through the no duplicate players, I immediately scrolled down looking for a response from AJ. Too funny.

What can you say? The man loves his Yakes.

Good Lord, do I need to make another poll to see if duplicates should be allowed? :mellow:

Good Lord, do I need to make another poll to see if duplicates should be allowed? B)

LOL Poor DONche, such a small amount of time as the commish and already he's tossing around the 'Good Lords'. ;-)

You know, I'm sure most people (outside of AJ) are not going to care either way what you decide on this topic.