NHL'94 Forums

Boarding Penalty

DaDonch44

Boarding Penalty  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How long should a Boarding (Injury) Penalty be?

• 1 Minute
    • 2 Minutes (Same as a Roughing Penalty)
    • 3 Minutes
    • 4 Minutes (Double Minor)
    • Other - Be Specific in a post

Ok,

A Boarding Penalty (Roughing) that causes an injury for a period or the game.

How long should it be?

Should it be something that is celebrated for your ability to punish the opponent?

or

Should you be punished more for inflicting damage, and crippling your opponents chances of winning?

or

Should it be the same as any other penalty?

Please make a post with your response, so I can count people who are either in the league, or who are signing up to join the league.

Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donche, have you given any consideration to my earlier idea about tracking boarding penalties that injure players? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

lol yeah definitely, dmitry got back to me and said that he wasn't aware of the difference. So I sent him the Offset coding for each, so hopefully will be able to work his magic and set something up. :angry:

I haven't voted yet but I'm torn on this issue. My first reaction is to vote for 3 minutes, but since we are playing on 5 minute periods that's a long time. I might be leaning towards 1 minute actually ...

Could you do something like 1:45?

Unfortunately no.

I would have to double check, there might be a possibly of doing 1:30. But off the top of my head I forget if it allowed 30 second intervals or just minute intervals... Give me about 2 hours and I'll get back to you.

I voted 4 minutes personally, but 3 minutes would be okay for me. I deffinetly think a longer penalty should be given. I'd almost prefer 3 because the periods are only 5, but 4 would add some interesting gameplay. Adds a bit more depth to the game when you have to kill a penalty for that amount of time.

Unfortunately no.

I would have to double check, there might be a possibly of doing 1:30. But off the top of my head I forget if it allowed 30 second intervals or just minute intervals... Give me about 2 hours and I'll get back to you.

Hey Jamonica,

I just checked and you can only make the penalties minute intervals. :angry:

I was just thinking, with us only playing 5 min periods. Why not consider having ALL penalties only 1 min. I do love having penalties on, but with the periods being so short, I think they should only be 60 secs.

I was just thinking, with us only playing 5 min periods. Why not consider having ALL penalties only 1 min. I do love having penalties on, but with the periods being so short, I think they should only be 60 secs.

60 seconds is a blindingly fast amount of time. although it makes it match the real game more accurately.... I don't think it does a service for the videogame. Although I would estimate about 30% of all penalties are caused by the CPU... having penalties is nice to put people in the box who are overzealous with hooking (A button) or tripping (B button). I also don't think the nhl94 powerplay is as big of an advantage as the real life counterpart is.... so keeping it 2 minutes isn't that big of an issue.

In my opinion.

I'm a bit torn here. Personally I hate anything that brings more "chance" and randomness to the game. We've all had many games were the AI goes insanely aggressive and you find yourself short handed for the entire game.

I'd vote to have no penalties but at the same time I'm diggin' the additional stats it creates. I voted 2 mins.

I think anything above 2 minutes is eccessively long because we only get 10 players, ive had 3 defenseman in the box before and ive had to use forwrads at defense for extended periods of time, so having a 3 minute penalty will only add to that and the lack of depth available to a player can put them in precarious situations.

As for 1 minute penalties matching the length of penalties, i like it, but it is almost too short, i think matt said that the powerplay on 94 isnt as big of an advantage as it is in real life, i beg to differ. ive had around 60% success rate both seasons and the league rate is probably around 40-45%, so thats over double the advantage that it is in real life, 2 minutes is a big advantage, but it fairly punishes aggressive players.

I think anything above 2 minutes is eccessively long because we only get 10 players, ive had 3 defenseman in the box before and ive had to use forwrads at defense for extended periods of time, so having a 3 minute penalty will only add to that and the lack of depth available to a player can put them in precarious situations.

As for 1 minute penalties matching the length of penalties, i like it, but it is almost too short, i think matt said that the powerplay on 94 isnt as big of an advantage as it is in real life, i beg to differ. ive had around 60% success rate both seasons and the league rate is probably around 40-45%, so thats over double the advantage that it is in real life, 2 minutes is a big advantage, but it fairly punishes aggressive players.

one thing I'd like to see: the scoring rate of short handed goals. The data will definitely be higher than NHL.. but at what rate? Is it proportional to the 40-45% rate you cite?

Also... what is the scoring rate of 5 on 5? It is also higher than NHL 5 on 5.

When you start comparing all of these pieces, then the data can speak about the scoring rates. Here's a eye's glance analysis: on average (median), the typical user in GDL scores above 4 goals a game. Over 15 minutes, that is a scoring rate of 4/15, or 1 goal every 3.75 minutes. Taken liberally, that means for about a 4 minute span, we expect a success ratio of at 1 goal 100% of the time. During a 2 minute penalty.... the scoring rate is 40%....

Now... statisticians should start throwing stones at me, (a la penalties that end with a goal aren't 2 minutes), but I'm hoping to make a point with all of the GDL data. I still feel 2 minutes isn't a huge deal. When I get a penalty... it doesn't bother me unless it is my stud player going out. Um... anyone gonna make a stab at a statistic report here?

Personally, I'd love playing 7 minute periods because the games are so short. That's probably a wild suggestion and most people probably like the games at 5 minutes anyways. But if we were playing on 7, I'd definitely vote for a 3 or 4 minute boarding penalty.

(I still haven't voted yet btw)

Personally, I'd love playing 7 minute periods because the games are so short. That's probably a wild suggestion and most people probably like the games at 5 minutes anyways. But if we were playing on 7, I'd definitely vote for a 3 or 4 minute boarding penalty.

(I still haven't voted yet btw)

We tried this once in the original (now defunct) draft league. The end result: 10 Goal blow outs, 20 goal games, momentum swings that could not be controlled.

It was fun but ya gotta be prepared to take a beating. I took the worst beating of my life from Vocally Caged in 7 minute periods. I'm pretty sure he scored 20+ goals on me. Good times! lol

I think 2 minutes is fine. 4 might have been ok with 7 minute periods, but it's waaayy too much with 5 minute periods.

http://65.36.133.56/nhl94_draft/teamstats.asp

One thing I noticed is that even the guys with 2-3 goals per game last year had PP% in the 30s. Tampa Bay scored 19% of their goals on the PP. So, if you double the penalty time to 4 minutes, you're giving about a 60% chance for a goal even for the guys like me who can't score. That's pretty annoying when you take out, say, Brian Bellows for the last 23 seconds of the 2nd period.

Overall, people scored 13.1% of their goals on the powerplay. If they took an average of the whole 2 minutes for each powerplay, they would have played 16.8% of their games shorthanded. I think a better estimate is about 1:20 per powerplay (probably still generous) which makes that percentage 11.2%.

13.1% of goals in 11.2% of the time, just a 17% boost, say 20%. A powerplay doesn't seem to do a whole lot to help a teams scoring. However, what it does do, is greatly hinder the shorthanded team's ability to score!

Though many people feel that they score a lot shorthanded, it's not nearly their usual rate: in an offline stats league i run, the PP% is 35.8% and the SHG% is 23.3%, and you can potentially score multiple shorthanded goals on one penalty.

I think the rule should stay as it was on the original. The more rules get changed, the less relevant older statistics become.

As far as injury stats go, I noticed that there is no penalty called when a goalie injures a player. We would only be tracking injuries that occur along the boards?

I think the rule should stay as it was on the original. The more rules get changed, the less relevant older statistics become.

As far as injury stats go, I noticed that there is no penalty called when a goalie injures a player. We would only be tracking injuries that occur along the boards?

2 Min - 5

3 Min - 3

4 Min - 1

I forgot all about that one D, good call. Yes I guess we would only be able to do the player on player hits and not the goalies. But least the goalies one are far less frequent.

if the injury happens in the middle of the ice, is it still called boarding? I should probably know this, but I don't.

Well the thing is that when I was looking around for the offsets for my program it was called "Boarding" on the forums by whoever listed the offsets for 94, I guess to differentiate between the two penalties. So thats why I have been calling it that.

There is only a certain amount of letters that you can use when naming the penalites in NOSE, I think 16 (Interference is 12, Fight_Instigator is 16). So we you wanted to change it to "Injuring" or something else thats fine with me. :angry:

"boarding" must have been one of the terms I found in the game when I was researching the penalties in the save state files. That's not the point, and I don't really care what the penalty is called--I was just wondering if the same penalty was called consistently for every non-goalie caused injury.

"boarding" must have been one of the terms I found in the game when I was researching the penalties in the save state files. That's not the point, and I don't really care what the penalty is called--I was just wondering if the same penalty was called consistently for every non-goalie caused injury.

Yes, the same penalty is called. :angry:

Well the thing is that when I was looking around for the offsets for my program it was called "Boarding" on the forums by whoever listed the offsets for 94, I guess to differentiate between the two penalties. So thats why I have been calling it that.

There is only a certain amount of letters that you can use when naming the penalites in NOSE, I think 16 (Interference is 12, Fight_Instigator is 16). So we you wanted to change it to "Injuring" or something else thats fine with me. :angry:

Possibly Attempt_Injure? (14)

Possibly Attempt_Injure? (14)

I'll have to play around with it tonight. I think there are a certain amount of bytes allocated for each penalty (thats why it would have been restricted to 8 letters)... im not sure if i can use free bytes to increase the length.