NHL'94 Forums

Do you think the league should consider expansion?

halifax

18 members have voted

1. 1. expansion?

• yes
    • no

Hello fellow gens members,

It appears that once Habs accepts his re-entry into the league, I'll be bumped to first on the waiting list. This is my request to the league commish and league members in asking for approval of expansion by voting in the posts(same pattern that dadonch44 has been using for other polls).

For those that don't know me, a bit of background. I've been playing SNES online for a year. In that time, I've ran two leagues by myself. A 40 game league and a 68 game league consisting of 17 or 18 teams. I played both seasons finishing my schedule within 6 weeks of playing and about 95% of those games within 4 weeks(but you know how hard it can be to track down the last guy or two sometimes). As well I've currently played 39 of 40 games(2 have yet to be logged) in the classic league.

I have little interest in being on a waiting list. It's not meant to be disrespectful but rather that the drafting is half of the intrigue and fun that I'd like to experience. I've followed the GDL quite closely and enjoyed viewing the stats page that dimitry created.

I'm not concerned about how bad my record will be or being blow out several times but just want to be a part of it all.

cheers,

halifax.

I too would like to hijack halifax's thread and bid myself segathon as a possible expansion city/player/team thingy. :)

I have nhl nerd cred with the offline tourneys I run over at www.segathon.com. Plus I have been a member at this site for a while now.

Don't mind if I lose a lot and I too think the draft is one of the most fun parts of this league. My skill set is nhl 95 based so I should take my licks early on.

Thanks for hearing me out,

I'll gladly move aside for either one of these guys. They're much better players than me, and would give the league more credibility than my constant ability to get destroyed often.

I'll gladly move aside for either one of these guys. They're much better players than me, and would give the league more credibility than my constant ability to get destroyed often.

Dude, thats not what he's talking about. Stop trying to talk yourself outta coming back. :)

Last night Halifax and I discussed his situation on the the waiting list. Since right now he is on the bubble, he brought up the idea of possible expansion.

I said that we were trying to stay around 24 teams so it did not get out of hand. I could see us topping out at 26. But not more than that, because the players will start to get thin and the backup goalies would include rick wamsley.

So, I told Halifax that if he wanted to pose it to the rest of the league, make up a poll and see how it goes.

I also explained to him that if he was on the waiting list and got the opportunity to replace a team this season, that he would be considered a returner, and definitely be in for his own team in Season 4. (Same goes for any replacement owner. You stick it out in the beginning and then you get rewarded next season.)

Dude, thats not what he's talking about. Stop trying to talk yourself outta coming back. :)

Last night Halifax and I discussed his situation on the the waiting list. Since right now he is on the bubble, he brought up the idea of possible expansion.

I said that we were trying to stay around 24 teams so it did not get out of hand. I could see us topping out at 26. But not more than that, because the players will start to get thin and the backup goalies would include rick wamsley.

So, I told Halifax that if he wanted to pose it to the rest of the league, make up a poll and see how it goes.

I also explained to him that if he was on the waiting list and got the opportunity to replace a team this season, that he would be considered a returner, and definitely be in for his own team in Season 4. (Same goes for any replacement owner. You stick it out in the beginning and then you get rewarded next season.)

Uh...I'm not trying to talk myself out of coming back. I'm being honest. Nothing wrong with that no? If these two really want to draft, I'll step aside for one of them. It's about time someone around here had the balls to do stuff like this.

Uh...I'm not trying to talk myself out of coming back. I'm being honest. Nothing wrong with that no? If these two really want to draft, I'll step aside for one of them. It's about time someone around here had the balls to do stuff like this.

thanks for offering to step aside...but I wouldn't accept regardless...at the very least the GDL would miss the SSIG pre and post game reports and any info on Delgado's coaching career.

I voted no to the expansion but that wasn't an easy choice. Segathon and Halifax bring a lot to the table and are exactly the kind of coaches I want to see in this league. Halifax has proven dedication to the leagues as a player and admin. And Segathon, well, let me put it to you this way, the guy who cuts my hair in Chicago flies back home to Minnesota just to play in Segathon's '95 tourneys.

At the same time, I wasn't an advocate of expanding the league past 22 teams and now it's at 24. I really think we would be spreading the talent around too thin with any more teams. And with 24 teams, I don't even get to play the other teams as much as I would like to in league play.

I vote no mainly because of how thin the player pool is. Some teams would have really horrible goalies, and there aren't that many quality defensemen either. In addition, I know that almost every league will need a few replacements as the season goes on, so expanding too much could make it really tough to keep the season going if people drop out.

I vote no.

I would vote yes for contraction. The last 5 rounds of the draft was like choosing the fat kid for dodgeball. 5 times.

Although with enough positive interest, why not have 2 Draft leagues of 12-14 teams? Teams would be miraculously strong, people won't be starting Kelly Hrudey at goal, and all will be well. It's a drastic step... but I think it's something to toss out there.

I vote no.

I would vote yes for contraction. The last 5 rounds of the draft was like choosing the fat kid for dodgeball. 5 times.

Although with enough positive interest, why not have 2 Draft leagues of 12-14 teams? Teams would be miraculously strong, people won't be starting Kelly Hrudey at goal, and all will be well. It's a drastic step... but I think it's something to toss out there.

Matt, great idea dude. There's more then enough coaches to field two 14 team leagues. 7 per division.

But i know that'd be putting extra work on Dadonche.

I'm all for biding my time and being reqarded next year but at the same time I am putting in my dues like all the other newbies by playing TONS of games every flippin night. Ask Jamon and BHF how often myself and Jrod are on the server pimpin games from the vets.

Respectfully,

Ice

And Segathon, well, let me put it to you this way, the guy who cuts my hair in Chicago flies back home to Minnesota just to play in Segathon's '95 tourneys.

Thanks for the kind words. I better start charging admission to my tourneys with reviews like that.

I see your point on depleting the pool of players.

But I would not mind having a little worse team this first year. Maybe jumping in on the draft at a later round. I am like a division 1AA team in college football, don't have as many scholarships, if that analogy works. Just a thought.

These guys are both highly-regarded in this community. However, I did vote no as well. For a few reasons:

- diminished talent pool

- even balance of 4 division/6 teams per/24 teams for scheduling purposes

- having two QUALITY guys ready to play on the waiting list, ready to fill-in (because people will drop out)

^^^ i agree completely with jam

I especially dont want to see diminished talent pool. Last season we added 4 teams? It didnt end up being bad though, the pool was still deep enough. But I think we should cap at 24.

Having these guys on the wait list will be great tho

And I was really close in wanting to say yes- I think these are two guys that would add credibility to the GDL based on their reputation, committedness and class.

I'm almost tempted to change my vote the more I think about it. As HABS mentioned, the talent pool wasn't as bad as he thought it would be when the league had 24 teams last season.

Would it be absolutely terrible with 26 (for sake of discussion)?

I mean, the list of players for this league is getting pretty thick with regulars, as oppose to the past when it was some regulars, sprinkled in with new guys. The more I look at the league players, the less I think there will be people dropping out (although I guess this can't ever be said with certainty).

Yea... the league basically is filled with regulars.

We have a new acting commish; the question is what is the philosophy of the league: cater to the players who are established, or offer this product to new guys who potentially have a lot to offer?

Expansion would take care of 2 new players.... not exactly a large amount. It also would diminish the player pool rather drastically... that is 26 NHL94 players extra that now will need drafted.

Although GDL2 draft was great, and the pool of players was adequate.... what path would improve the league the most? Caping at 24 and keeping a somewhat thin draft depth? Expanding and having teams with potentially glaring weaknesses in some areas? Or creating 2 smaller leagues to allow coaches to assemble talented teams created by a draft that doesn't have people guessing on unknown players?

After reading the feedback, I can respect the fact of a depleted pool. I wouldn't want it either.

I'll bide my time and wait for an oppurtunity to enter the league.

I thought about Matt Hurray's suggestion of expanding to two leagues... I think it's a great idea and my suggestion along with his idea would be to first establish one full solid league of the GDL with little turn around in coaches. Once you have a solid base of coaches, then would be a good time to expand and make two leagues.

According to Dadonch44's list he has 33 teams to choose from for the GDL. With small expansion steps....you could increase to 2 leagues of 14 and then ultimately two leagues of 16 and not have duplicate teams.

For fun, maybe choose to run the leagues similar to baseball. Play the bulk of your own games in your own league and have a few games of interleague play.

One other suggestion...expanding the league to 62 games for the current league.

4 games against your own division = 20 games

3 games against the other division in your conference = 18 games

2 games against the other conference = 24 games

thanks for weighing on the topic guys and hopefully ill get a chance to battle you guys soon enough.

I'm all for having 2 leagues, of course, that is a workload that DONche will have to see if he can handle. If he has the capacity to run 2 leagues, one suggestion is to have 1 league be 20 teams and the other league would incorporate the remaining list of coaches. At the end of the season, the top 4 coaches from (for lack of a better term) GDL B League would get invites into the GDL A League. 4 coaches from the A side would then have to move to B side. Over time, it would help keep skill levels at a more even playing field.

And there will probably be less teams in the B league which would mean a higher talent pool per team which might be a nice change of pace for some guys. It might not be as competitive but each team is really solid.

This is just an idea that I'm tossing out there and I haven't given it too much thought. If you see holes in it, please reply with some comments.

I think its a good idea... but that would mean double the work... :)

2 drafts, 2 databases, 2 different ROMs

so its also not me but whether or not dmitry would want that type of workload to get another dbase set up.

i think this might be a Season 4 idea instead of trying to do this now, since we are getting closer to draft time.

I think its a good idea... but that would mean double the work... :)

2 drafts, 2 databases, 2 different ROMs

so its also not me but whether or not dmitry would want that type of workload to get another dbase set up.

i think this might be a Season 4 idea instead of trying to do this now, since we are getting closer to draft time.

any interleague play would be way too much logistical work.

however, 2 leagues really isn't double work; you have the infrastructure already set up; most of the work is in assembling the 2 roms, and using the editor just about anyone is capable of doing it.

I vote no.

I've been thinking of making a multi-tiered league.

Three (or more) 10-team divisions/leagues. A, B, C,.. levels.

drafted teams.

line changes on, since the teams would be deep. maybe C league has no line changes.

top 8 make the playoffs.

regular season champ and playoff champ both promoted to next league. if it's the same guy, then the other cup finalist also promoted.

the 2 teams that miss the playoffs are relegated down.

seasons are 36 games (4 vs each team).

season and playoffs should take just 2 months, so the league 'evolves' quickly.

smaller league size reduces the need for non-snaking draft, but it could be introduced if things get too predictable.

but, not enough free time these days to try to make it happen...

I had to vote no...

We just have to stop somewhere, and i think 24 is a good number.

Two 16-team leagues would be good, too. I wouldn't want too few teams in a league, though, as the teams are just too fast and powerful (as was the case in the short-lived nhl94.net league).

I've been thinking of making a multi-tiered league.

Three (or more) 10-team divisions/leagues. A, B, C,.. levels.

drafted teams.

line changes on, since the teams would be deep. maybe C league has no line changes.

top 8 make the playoffs.

regular season champ and playoff champ both promoted to next league. if it's the same guy, then the other cup finalist also promoted.

the 2 teams that miss the playoffs are relegated down.

seasons are 36 games (4 vs each team).

season and playoffs should take just 2 months, so the league 'evolves' quickly.

smaller league size reduces the need for non-snaking draft, but it could be introduced if things get too predictable.

but, not enough free time these days to try to make it happen...

you said line changes. that's where you lost me