NHL'94 Forums

Division/Conference Alignment

DaDonch44

Here is the alignment Jamonica took the time to come up with. Feel free to discuss.

RON BARR CONFERENCE

WESTERN DIVISION

Anaheim (DaDonch)

Calgary (Jamonica)

Colorado (TakeYourPill666)

Edmonton (Awesomerino)

Vancouver (Dmac)

Winnipeg (KGMan)

CENTRAL DIVISION

Chicago (Backhandfloater)

Dallas (Smozoma)

Detroit (EricAnthony)

Los Angeles (KingsCupRun93)

San Jose (Ediesaurusrex)

St. Louis (Carse)

MARC LESSER CONFERENCE

NORTHERN DIVISION

Boston (Hokkeefan2)

Buffalo (AngryJay93)

Minnesota (Scribe99)

Montreal (HABS)

Pittsburgh (Matt Hurray)

Toronto* (IceStorm70)

EASTERN DIVISION

New Jersey* (SSiG)

New York Rangers (Vocally Caged)

Ottawa (Skoolyardpuck)

Philadelphia (NewJerseyKillers)

Quebec (TessLog)

Tampa Bay (Gr8199Kings)

* = flip-flop?

(Each division has 2 top-8 teams, 2 mid-8 teams and 2 lower-8 teams)

I'll go ahead and echo what KingsCup expressed earlier. The Central is pretty stacked with BHF, Carse, KingsCup and myself. I really don't mind since that will be some great competition. But Carse and I played in the semis while I believe BHF was in the semis in GDL1. And throw KingsCup in there who made the playoffs last season and that's a pretty tight division.

My suggestion would be to switch out Carse for someone from the East. That way, you have one coach from the GDL2 semis spread across each division. And you could very easily switch me out but I would prefer to be in the same division as BHF. I know it's not my choice but just a preference.

What do you feel is more important? Having the caliber of coaches spread out or the teams in their respective division/conference?

The only method I was going to try was to take my list of where people finished on the excel sheet and just go right down the order. then take 1 and 3 and make that one conference and take 2 and 4 and make that the other conference.

Division 1

EricAnthony76

AngryJay93

KingsCupRun93

Logan

DaDonch44

SSiG

Division 3

HABS

Vocally Caged

Scribe99

newjerseykiller

edisaurusrex

awesomerino

---------------------------------------

Division 2

kgman

thegr8199kings

skoolyardpuck

hokkeefan

matthurray

jamonica

Division 4

Carse

takeyourpill666

dmac

smozoma

Backhandfloater

IceStorm70

But whatever is cool. Jamonica can do some switching on his if everyone feels its warranted.

I personally would much rather have a division that I could actually win a few games in. I didn't come back to go 0-69-0 this season (or whatever amount of games we're playing)

all coaches are very good. I think you did a good job of aligning the divisions fairly, Donch, and any talk of stacked divisions is based off of personal bias. One division may be slightly better, but not marginally by checking the names in each division.

If you start trying to rank coaches.. you'll just have 24 people that will disagree. There are too many variables to effectively rank this many people.

I personally would much rather have a division that I could actually win a few games in. I didn't come back to go 0-69-0 this season (or whatever amount of games we're playing)

which is why i didnt think my way was any good... i was just saying what i was thinking... :)

all coaches are very good. I think you did a good job of aligning the divisions fairly, Donch, and any talk of stacked divisions is based off of personal bias. One division may be slightly better, but not marginally by checking the names in each division.

If you start trying to rank coaches.. you'll just have 24 people that will disagree. There are too many variables to effectively rank this many people.

Definitely fair points, but I think we are all in agreement. Out of all the players in the league if you had to rank them, yours truly would be ranked 24th out of 24 :)

good points hurray. With that said, every division will be pretty competitive no matter the alignment so I'm good with whatever you decide.

A thought..

In the NHL, the division/conference system is largely about travel issues. Online, travel is not an issue. What if we ignore the division level when making the schedule -- teams in the same conference could all play each other the same number of times. If you play each team in your conference 3 times and each team in the other conf twice, that's a 57-game schedule. This would make division placement less of an issue.

Thought #2:

If we do a hybrid draft, the division balancing issue mostly goes away because there won't be such a large disparity between the good players and the bad players.

I'm liking the divisions Donch posted. They seem to be a bit more balanced, with each division having good competition. My only suggestion is to switch awesomerino or eddie with Hurray (division 2 and 3 respectively). I don't mean any offense here, I just think it would balance it out a bit more.

I'm liking the divisions Donch posted. They seem to be a bit more balanced, with each division having good competition. My only suggestion is to switch awesomerino or eddie with Hurray (division 2 and 3 respectively). I don't mean any offense here, I just think it would balance it out a bit more.

I also prefer the second set of divisions provided by dadonch. The central in the first set is just scary, and I'm in it (and am not one of the scary guys) :)

The first alignment that's at the top of the page is probably the best one IMO.

I just think we should switch EA or Carse to the Eastern Division and every division should be pretty much equal.

I agree with Logan.

Donche, are we set with divisions?

Sure we can use these.

Conference 1

Division 1

EricAnthony76

AngryJay93

KingsCupRun93

Logan

DaDonch44

SSiG

Division 3

HABS

Vocally Caged

Scribe99

newjerseykiller

edisaurusrex

awesomerino

Conference 2

Division 2

kgman

thegr8199kings

skoolyardpuck

hokkeefan

matthurray

jamonica

Division 4

Carse

takeyourpill666

dmac

smozoma

Backhandfloater

IceStorm70

I'll leave it up to you guys to create divsion and conference names if you want to use them. But make them reasonable, if i see things like the "PWNAGE CONFERENCE" or the "CROSSCUTTER DIVISION" they will stay Conference 1 and Division 4. :(

Division 1 name - The Division that SSiG Will Not Win a Game In :(

Why do I always get stuck in the divisions with the strongest players...am I not allowed to have a chance to win?

I'll leave it up to you guys to create divsion and conference names if you want to use them. But make them reasonable, if i see things like the "PWNAGE CONFERENCE" or the "CROSSCUTTER DIVISION" they will stay Conference 1 and Division 4. :(

The Mark Lesser and Ron Barr conferences, respectively, are a cool way to go still IMO. A reasonable, historically-significant homage to 2 names that are synonomous with NHL '94.

I'm not sure about division names...maybe someone can think of some possible names that would be cool to use/have on a consistent basis. Kinda create some consistency in what they would be from year-to-year, instead of always changing. Too bad we don't have a few more historical figures around the community, a la having the Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe...

The Mark Lesser and Ron Barr conferences, respectively, are a cool way to go still IMO. A reasonable, historically-significant homage to 2 names that are synonomous with NHL '94.

Indeed.

Hm, division names...

- wboy division (NOSE)

- Dallongeville division (after Stéphane Dallongeville, writer of Gens)

- dmitry division

- Evan division

Indeed.

Hm, division names...

- wboy division (NOSE)

- Dallongeville division (after Stéphane Dallongeville, writer of Gens)

- dmitry division

- Evan division

Very awesome names for both the confs and divisions. Nice work Jam and Smoz!

I have an early nomination for next season as well, the Donche Division should be in the running. It's got a nice ring to it. But I also think we need to give him one season to lose his sanity first b/c he gets the honor to join these elite. ;-) Keep up the good work DONche.

When the Donch division is implemented, may I suggest he replaces Dallongevilles. You can't replace the other 3 for obvious reasons:

Wboy : NOSE makes making new rosters easy as pie

Dmitri : Created the GDL and the fantastic looking and running site for it.

Evan : Brought all of us together in the first place.

Conference 1

Division 1

EricAnthony76

AngryJay93

kgman

Carse

thegr8199kings

HABS

Division 3

Vocally Caged

KingsCupRun93

skoolyardpuck

Logan

Backhandfloater

takeyourpill666

Conference 2

Division 2

IceStorm70

hokkeefan

matthurray

jamonica

Scribe99

dmac

Division 4

SSiG

newjerseykiller

edisaurusrex

awesomerino

smozoma

DaDonch44

I was more thinking something like this and have each division play each other 4 times, in the same conference 3 times and other conference 2 times. Will be more fair scheduling between coaches.

What you guys think?

Conference 1

Division 1

EricAnthony76

AngryJay93

kgman

Carse

thegr8199kings

HABS

Division 3

Vocally Caged

KingsCupRun93

skoolyardpuck

Logan

Backhandfloater

takeyourpill666

Conference 2

Division 2

IceStorm70

hokkeefan

matthurray

jamonica

Scribe99

dmac

Division 4

SSiG

newjerseykiller

edisaurusrex

awesomerino

smozoma

DaDonch44

I was more thinking something like this and have each division play each other 4 times, in the same conference 3 times and other conference 2 times. Will be more fair scheduling between coaches.

What you guys think?

I appreciate the balanced approach of this proposal, to be sure, but personally, as a new coach, I'd rather play against the very best as often as possible, so that I can learn their ways and use them to my advantage. And it should be noted that "my advantage" is a euphemism for "the eventual, systematic destruction of every coach who isn't me."

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahaha!

Seriously.

Gr8, to be totally honest, those divisions do not work for me at all. They don't seem balanced all around, as practically all the (if I may) 'elite' vets are in one conference. They should be distributed evenly.

You are right.... those conferences are not even nearly balanced. Conf 1 >>>>> Conf 2.

RON BARR CONFERENCE

Wboy Division

AngryJay

Carse

Skoolyardpuck

IceStorm

Donch

Jamonica

Dmitri Division

EricAnthony76

HABS

KingsCuprun93

Awesomenerino

TessLog

Dmac

MARC LESSER CONFERENCE

Dallongeville Division

Backhandfloater

Gr8

Scribe99

SSiG

MattHurray

Hokkee

Evan Division

KGMan

Vocally Caged

Takeyourpill

Edisaurusrex

Smozoma

NewJerseyKiller

I tried to balance out all the divisions equally. I feel these, possibly with sligh revision, or Donchs, make for the best approach. It's hard to judge talent, as some old vets that were once amazing might be rusty, or a coach might be much more talented than shown in previous seasons, but going by ear, I think the skill is fairly evenly divided.