NHL'94 Forums

Draft Discussion Thread

SSiG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with 24 teams, or more frankly. There are alot of good players in the game, that dont have a high OV.

I find that the quality D-men run out much quicker than comparable forwards. The weight bug really makes the D selection weak. We've just started the 4th round, and all the (in my opinion) respectable D have been taken.

Its not just you EA, nearly twice as many teams this season picked 3 forwards when compared to last season ,it was 9 to 5, so forwards are flying off the shelf since goalies are going at an identical pace.

I'm not sure if its overconfidence in manual goalie as it is different draft strategy, weight buggers are going a lot faster this time around so guys are more focused on limiting shots and chances as compared to having a goalie who can shut the door since in comparison there are less goalies who can do that than forwrards who can hit.

As far as dmen...were getting into that meaty part of the selection where you either go for the dude with offensive flare, or one of the plethora of nearly identical clones in that 50-65 range. So guys can hold off on those a bit longer it would seem and thats the way they are drafting.

I hope this draft will be looked back as the mistake by the lake.....

drafting 3 forwards in 1st 3 rounds = your untimely death.

I think we found out last year Goalie's make a pretty big impact; the stats are there. We'll find out this year if quality D men make just as big of a difference.

Its not just you EA, nearly twice as many teams this season picked 3 forwards when compared to last season ,it was 9 to 5, so forwards are flying off the shelf since goalies are going at an identical pace.

I'm not sure if its overconfidence in manual goalie as it is different draft strategy, weight buggers are going a lot faster this time around so guys are more focused on limiting shots and chances as compared to having a goalie who can shut the door since in comparison there are less goalies who can do that than forwrards who can hit.

As far as dmen...were getting into that meaty part of the selection where you either go for the dude with offensive flare, or one of the plethora of nearly identical clones in that 50-65 range. So guys can hold off on those a bit longer it would seem and thats the way they are drafting.

Yeah, i really wanted to draft a dman 3rd round but i think i'll have a better chance increasing my D play with Dallas then with most of the real D guys left.

At the same time, Dallas will be the first to go on a penalty. But after you took my Lidstrom and then Svoboda a couple picks later, I felt Dallas was my best choice.

But then I saw how fast forwards were going in the draft trend so I figured I would jump on board and go with the flow of the draft.

Pretty crazy picks this season needless to say. Very different from the first 2 GDLs.

I'm compiling a top movers in the draft that I'm going to post here after the 6th round. I think guys will be surprised how some guys have moved draft over draft.

I hope this draft will be looked back as the mistake by the lake.....

drafting 3 forwards in 1st 3 rounds = your untimely death.

I think we found out last year Goalie's make a pretty big impact; the stats are there. We'll find out this year if quality D men make just as big of a difference.

I don't know about the goalie thing, I did pretty well with moog and casey over the past 2 seasons. after fuhr, roy, belf... does it really matter in the long run? Not in my book but that's just my opinion.

Of course, I'm not going to be the guy to get stuck with Hrudey either. lol

I don't know about the goalie thing, I did pretty well with moog and casey over the past 2 seasons. after fuhr, roy, belf... does it really matter in the long run? Not in my book but that's just my opinion.

I hear all of the talk about hrudey being so bad...in snes hes just another goalie...what makes him so bad?...does he only stop like one out of every 6 shots or something?

Knowing when to use goalie control gives you a big advantage... you'll make a lot of saves on breakaways, blue line slappers, and cross crease crap. But if you have Belfour or Roy... or to a lesser extent, Fuhr, Barasso, etc.... you can let them mop up some of the rest; bad angle shots, one timers, etc. Hrudey, Beaupre... those guys have 5 holes. s**t is not supposed to go under the legs of your goalie in this video game!!

I'm compiling a top movers in the draft that I'm going to post here after the 6th round. I think guys will be surprised how some guys have moved draft over draft.

Cool, looking forward to it.

I hear all of the talk about hrudey being so bad...in snes hes just another goalie...what makes him so bad?...does he only stop like one out of every 6 shots or something?

Yes. 1 in 8, actually.

I am one of the guys who went 3 Forwards in 3 rounds. I knew for sure I was going 2 forwards in the first two rounds, and Emerson and Dino make a great pair, but the problem is I can't always rely on Dino and Emerson doesn't have the best shot. So I went with Sanderson, who can make some respectable slappers. Now that my offense is set, D comes next. I'm fairly confident in my defensive skills, especially manual goalie. The way i've found it, slower goalies make it easier to manual than a lightning fast Belfour.

yeah i did awesome in the first season when i got 3 forwards firs-whoops, no i didn't. :(

just kidding.

but seriously, just cause you're confident in your ability to play d doesn't mean its gonna be good this season. there aren't many good d men left to back it up by this time in the draft, i know that from personal experience, and that was when we only had 20 teams. Take Matt for example last season. Amazing player. With an absolutely awful goalie. His skills wasn't gonna MAKE puppa stop the puck, everyone around here is too good for that, and he ended up missing the postseason. That's just my take on stocking up on offense. I just would rather avoid doing that unless i know there's going to be someone i want available on d or in goal.

Man, i dont know about those trades BHF made, sure Granato is a good pick up, especially for BHF with all that speed, but giving up ranford means he will have the likes of Don Beaupre in net, im not sure if BHF can play offense all game.

And then he trades Sweeney for Bourque, as a guy who has had both, id take Sweeney in a heart beat over Bourque,i know that BHF likes his big slapper, but it makes the back end that much softer in the windy city, especially when bourque goes on one of his random up ice escapades.

I personally dont like the trades and i think Carse made out like a bandit, but we will just have to see if BHF will prove me wrong and i wouldnt be suprised if he did.

Man, i dont know about those trades BHF made, sure Granato is a good pick up, especially for BHF with all that speed, but giving up ranford means he will have the likes of Don Beaupre in net, im not sure if BHF can play offense all game.

And then he trades Sweeney for Bourque, as a guy who has had both, id take Sweeney in a heart beat over Bourque,i know that BHF likes his big slapper, but it makes the back end that much softer in the windy city, especially when bourque goes on one of his random up ice escapades.

I personally dont like the trades and i think Carse made out like a bandit, but we will just have to see if BHF will prove me wrong and i wouldnt be suprised if he did.

What's not to like? More goals for me. More goals for YOU too! LOL

I'll probably take some more losses with this lineup, but I'm just trying to mix it up and have some fun.

I'll probably take some more losses with this lineup, but I'm just trying to mix it up and have some fun.

BHF, you know we're trying to keep the title in Chicago. And besides, Bourque's not welcome in the windy city.

The trade is null and void... I call.

True, that i believe with our two lineups

With all that speed and shooting ability, i agree there will be a lot of fun to be had.

I personally am not bothered by teams that drafted 3 forwards in 3 rounds. I tried to keep a balance, but in the end, it all comes down to player skill, and we all know I'm way behind when it comes to that :P

No, the picks will stay 30 minutes apart until late in the 7th round, this allows people to have some time to be able to get their picks in to get their starting lineups set up, aftter that we will drop down to 15 minutes.

Shouldn't other coaches have the right to veto "trades"?

I do not see the validity of the latest trade where BHF gets a late 7th round while giving up an early 6th round pick. BHF's argument may be he is trying to give himself a challenge (similar to the Borque and Sweeney deal).... but it seems arbitrary to choose who is the recipient of the trade, who gets an advantage other coaches do not.

Although it is a late round trade... it is still affecting a starting lineup (1st 6 rounds).

aaaaaaaaaand while I'm at it, here is a quote from Donch in the trading post: "Like I have said there are no trades until after the draft. "

so I hate to be "that guy" who is an annoying stickler.... but here I am. Discuss.

Shouldn't other coaches have the right to veto "trades"?

I do not see the validity of the latest trade where BHF gets a late 7th round while giving up an early 6th round pick. BHF's argument may be he is trying to give himself a challenge (similar to the Borque and Sweeney deal).... but it seems arbitrary to choose who is the recipient of the trade, who gets an advantage other coaches do not.

Although it is a late round trade... it is still affecting a starting lineup (1st 6 rounds).

I agree. What's this straight-up draft pick trade? You shouldn't be able to do that.

Can I get another 6th round pick from someone?

BHF voted for the snaking draft, too, so this doesn't make sense (giving himself a challenge).

Hawerchuk was finally drafted, 6th round. I know he's brutal, but wow, 6th round... I think we have a winner for "most overrated player." 5 agi, 4 spd, 5 stick, 5 pass.. all stats are great, except for his 3/1 shot, yet he's an incredibly ineffective player. Gretz has a 2/2 shot, i think, and he went in the first round.

I dont want to delve too much into the details of our trade, but the trade was my 6th and 7th round picks for bhf's 6th and 7th rounders, i wasnt sure if hawerchuk would last so i talked to bhf about a deal, we both figured lowe would last to my spot so he could make that concession in the 6th, now in the 7th round he gets an earlier shot at a guy he would like as his first reserve while i have to wait a bit longer. Pretty small scale deal, didnt think it would cause such an uproar.

I dont want to delve too much into the details of our trade, but the trade was my 6th and 7th round picks for bhf's 6th and 7th rounders, i wasnt sure if hawerchuk would last so i talked to bhf about a deal, we both figured lowe would last to my spot so he could make that concession in the 6th, now in the 7th round he gets an earlier shot at a guy he would like as his first reserve while i have to wait a bit longer. Pretty small scale deal, didnt think it would cause such an uproar.

Um yea... it caused an uproar because I thought it was his 6th round for your 7th round.

This isn't so bad..... yet it's still a trade before the end of the draft. That is inconsistent with what we have been told.

Um yea... it caused an uproar because I thought it was his 6th round for your 7th round.

This isn't so bad..... yet it's still a trade before the end of the draft. That is inconsistent with what we have been told.

same here, I thought it was just one 6th-rounder for one 7th-rounder.

• 7 years later...

Oh EA, if you only knew what GDLXIII AJ had in store for you back then. :(

hahaha