NHL'94 Forums

Burning 94

Burning the Sega CD (ISO) version to a CD and playing on the Sega CD console works great. You can't burn a .BIN file and play it on a Sega CD.

My cousin and I may switch over to editing the Genesis version of the game since we have that hardware/software that burns games on a cartridge that can be played on a Genesis.

McRae - I haven't had much time lately to make any tutorials. Don's site should help for burning a cd though. If not, ask what you aren't understanding.

-Evan

Burning the Sega CD (ISO) version to a CD and playing on the Sega CD console works great.  You can't burn a .BIN file and play it on a Sega CD.

My cousin and I may switch over to editing the Genesis version of the game since we have that hardware/software that burns games on a cartridge that can be played on a Genesis.

McRae - I haven't had much time lately to make any tutorials.  Don's site should help for burning a cd though.  If not, ask what you aren't understanding.

-Evan

Evan sorry if this has been covered or not in the past, but I know very little about burning. Is it possible to edit the sega cd version of nhl 94, burn it to a cd and then play it on the sega cd console?

Evan, my cousin wopap and I are duying to play our games on any sega, how much is the totek? what does it do, does it only burn 1 game per purchase? because if it is resonable i would buy some. We eant to play the greats team verison rom i made of nhl94 on the sega version. thanks

Hey Soccer1,

My cousin and I just got the tototek hardware, but we haven't had time to check it out yet. http://www.tototek.com/ is the website, thanks to Donny we learned about this. We have the MD-PRO 32M flash Card kit for Genesis/MegaDrive which was $70 and holds up to 15 roms.

Before you buy it, let us test it out to make sure its cool. We'll try to test it sometime this week and let you know the results. (I would test it now but it's at his place.)

Wopap,

Yes, you can edit the .ISO from the Sega CD version of NHL94, burn it into a cd, and play it on the Sega CD. You can download the .ISO from the downloads section of nhl94.com.

-Evan

Thanks, wopap and I will wait. 15 roms is good. the 90$ is 30 roms

Hey Soccer1,

My cousin and I just got the tototek hardware, but we haven't had time to check it out yet.  http://www.tototek.com/ is the website, thanks to Donny we learned about this.  We have the MD-PRO 32M flash Card kit for Genesis/MegaDrive which was $70 and holds up to 15 roms.

Before you buy it, let us test it out to make sure its cool.  We'll try to test it sometime this week and let you know the results.  (I would test it now but it's at his place.)

-Evan

Hey Soccer1,

My cousin and I just got the tototek hardware, but we haven't had time to check it out yet.  http://www.tototek.com/ is the website, thanks to Donny we learned about this.  We have the MD-PRO 32M flash Card kit for Genesis/MegaDrive which was $70 and holds up to 15 roms.

Before you buy it, let us test it out to make sure its cool.  We'll try to test it sometime this week and let you know the results.  (I would test it now but it's at his place.)

Wopap,

Yes, you can edit the .ISO from the Sega CD version of NHL94, burn it into a cd, and play it on the Sega CD.  You can download the .ISO from the downloads section of nhl94.com.

-Evan

Evan, i downloaded the hex editor, as well as the Sega CD ISO file from the link you gave me. When I open the ISO in the hex editor, it does not appear to be the same as the normal NHL 94 version. In particular, there are no team names or player names in the upper right corner of the hex editor. Is there something else I should be doing or another manner in which I should be editing the game?

Thanks again!

The player names offset for the ISO start around 00027910. The ISO has more junk to load in the beginning, thats why the player names are further in the code then the BIN file.

And as far as the flash card to play edited genesis games on a cartridge, my cousin and I will absolutely be testing it out early next week.

McRae - The software for burning games onto a cartridge is called DreamWriter, but you also need a piece of hardware that hooks up to your computer through Parallel and USB ports.

-Evan

The player names offset for the ISO start around 00027910.  The ISO has more junk to load in the beginning, thats why the player names are further in the code then the BIN file.

And as far as the flash card to play edited genesis games on a cartridge, my cousin and I will absolutely be testing it out early next week.

McRae - The software for burning games onto a cartridge is called DreamWriter, but you also need a piece of hardware that hooks up to your computer through Parallel and USB ports.

-Evan

Evan cant wait to hear how it works! I would feel much better about buying the tototek burner if I knew for sure it worked. I wouldve bought one already but they dont seem to speak english very well there, and Id be nervous if I had to ask a question and they wouldnt be able to understand. Cant wait for you to test the thing.

I miss hockey. :lol:

EVAN!!, Hey Evan thanks for the tips on how to find the players names in the hex program. I was wondering if you could help me with one more thing. When I try to play the sega cd iso file on the gens emulator to test what changes I ahve made, I get an error message that says

(configure directories/options/file/menu....) do you know what this means? thanks

(i posted this in the other thread that you inquired about this)

01 - Download this file (you can also get this off of the downloads page of nhl94.com):

http://www.nhl94.com/multimedia/apps/usasegacdbios.zip

02 - Unzip and extract this file into your Gens (genesis emulator) directory.

03 - Run Gens.

04 - Under the Option -> Bios/Misc Files... you'll see the directory for "Configure SEGA CD bios files". Next to the USA text field click the "Change" button and select that bios file you unzipped.

MD-Pro Flash Card update:

My cousin and I have the MD-Pro32 Flash Cart from Tototek. We also bought the parallel port and usb cables from them. We tried using their DreamWriter software and also uConn64 (another cart writing software), but to no luck yet.

It seems this stuff is very sensitive, and the computer has to be 100% happy for everything to work. I'm trying to get help through Tototek's forums, and I'm waiting for a response. It seems like the hardware isn't being seen by the software.

I'll keep you guys posted on it.

-Evan

Hi Evan. I followed all the suggestions above, I redownloade the nhl94iso as specified, configured the bios and the game still does not play on the emulator. When I load the game, the sega cd screen comes on, followed by a screen with sonic and some sega music, then the emulator screen goes blank. Are the data files on the website missing something?

(i posted this in the other thread that you inquired about this)

01 - Download this file (you can also get this off of the downloads page of nhl94.com):

http://www.nhl94.com/multimedia/apps/usasegacdbios.zip

02 - Unzip and extract this file into your Gens (genesis emulator) directory.

03 - Run Gens.

04 - Under the Option -> Bios/Misc Files... you'll see the directory for "Configure SEGA CD bios files". Next to the USA text field click the "Change" button and select that bios file you unzipped.

MD-Pro Flash Card update:

My cousin and I have the MD-Pro32 Flash Cart from Tototek.  We also bought the parallel port and usb cables from them.  We tried using their DreamWriter software and also uConn64 (another cart writing software), but to no luck yet.

It seems this stuff is very sensitive, and the computer has to be 100% happy for everything to work.  I'm trying to get help through Tototek's forums, and I'm waiting for a response.  It seems like the hardware isn't being seen by the software.

I'll keep you guys posted on it.

-Evan

Soccer1,

I downloaded all of the files from the nhl94 website to test out everything and make sure it was working correctly. Turns out, the bios file I had up there was no good. I have updated the downloads page with a new bios file that works great on my machine.

Here's the direct link for the Sega CD bios file: http://www.nhl94.com/multimedia/apps/us_scd2_9306.zip

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Evan

That works great Evan thanks. Everything is working fine now. All I have to do is figure out how to burn the sega cd onto cd so I can play it. I'll look at Donny's site for that. If I get that working I am going to try and do an updated sega cd version to play. I'll try to use the 2005 player ratings from EA sports game. I'll prob need graphics help when I finish all of that for Banners and team logos. Thanks. Oh I also need to figure out how to eliminate the audio from Ron Barr in the startup menu. Because IF I do an updated verison and change what Ron says: if I dont eliminate the audio, he will continue to say the same thing (i.e he will talk about brian bradley on the lightning). Anyone who knows how to do this let me know. When I am done Maybe I can post a copy on this site. I was also wondering, if I get this sega cd verison done to play burned, maybe we can graphically put the nhl94 forum on the boards as advertizing, haha.

Soccer1,

I downloaded all of the files from the nhl94 website to test out everything and make sure it was working correctly.  Turns out, the bios file I had up there was no good.  I have updated the downloads page with a new bios file that works great on my machine.

Here's the direct link for the Sega CD bios file: http://www.nhl94.com/multimedia/apps/us_scd2_9306.zip

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Evan

That works great Evan thanks.  Everything is working fine now.  All I have to do is figure out how to burn the sega cd onto cd so I can play it. I'll look at Donny's site for that.  If I get that working I am going to try and do an updated sega cd version to play.  I'll try to use the 2005 player ratings from EA sports game.  I'll prob need graphics help when I finish all of that for Banners and team logos.  Thanks.  Oh I also need to figure out how to eliminate the audio from Ron Barr in the startup menu.  Because IF I do an updated verison and change what Ron says: if I dont eliminate the audio, he will continue to say the same thing (i.e he will talk about brian bradley on the lightning).  Anyone who knows how to do this let me know.  When I am done Maybe I can post a copy on this site.  I was also wondering, if I get this sega cd verison done to play burned, maybe we can graphically put the nhl94 forum on the boards as advertizing, haha.

Sounds like a cool project. Keep us posted. I may buy a Sega CD just to play it.

I will. I will need the help of some graphics experts though to change all the banners and team icons that need to be updated.

Sounds like a cool project.  Keep us posted.  I may buy a Sega CD just to play it.

Evan,

I"m having some trouble burning the sega cd iso to a cd and then playing it on my sega cd system. The burned disc has been in my system for about five minutes now and it looks like it can't read the cd.

I've downloaded fireburner, registered it, and listed the tracks to be burnt in this order:

the nhl94.iso

track02.mp3

and the rest of the mp3 tracks in numerical order. I got this from the link you referenced near the top of this forum.

Anyway, is this correct the way I am doing this? If not could you let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Wopap,

Burning the ISO and music to a CD is relatively simple once you know the process. I guess the resources you've been referring to burn a cd aren't as clear as they should be. I'm going to do my best to be as clear as I can with tips and help: (I will eventually have the how-to on the editing page.)

First, we are assuming that you have a cd burner, fireburner, the ISO and music tracks.

Things to look for:

01 - Very Important: You have to make sure when you add the files into fireburner that they are in the correct track order. NHL94.iso should be track01, track02 should be next etc, and look all the way through track79. When I select all of my files I highlight them from the last file to the first file, so when it comes into fireburner its all correct.

02 - Some burners don't seem to work with fireburner. I've seen this before and it sucks, but it happens. Try using different burners if you have access to them.

03 - Have you tried loading the ISO in Gens to make sure that the ISO works properly?

04 - When I install and use fireburner, I don't change any of the program settings. The default settings work for most burners.

05 - If it seems like the disc is having problems spinning in the Sega CD, try using different blank cds, or try burning at a slower speed (maybe 8x or slower). The game supposedly runs at 1x.

06 - It's possible that the Sega CD is defective or needs cleaning. I have never cleaned the Sega CD or had a defective Sega CD, but it's worth looking into if nothing else helps.

My Normal Process for burning NHL94 to CD

01 - Open fireburner (all default settings used).

02 - Add the ISO track.

03 - Add the music tracks by highlighting track79 in the list and then shift selecting track02. Make sure all 79 tracks are perfectly in order.

04 - Burn CD.

05 - Put CD in Sega CD and play.

I hope some of this at least helps you figure out the problem, I know how frustrating it can be. Talk to you soon,

-Evan

Evan,

I've followed your directions directly, and unfortunately, it still isn't working....

I've taken some screen shots of the cd that has been burnt, can you take a look and see if these screen shots match what should be there in a disc that works properly? If you can thanks a lot!

NHL___1.doc

NHL___2.doc

NHL___3.doc

At a quick glance the files seem to be correct. I happen to use Memorex CDs that are just CD-R. I'm not sure if I've ever tried using a CD-RW. I'm sure most brands are fine.

If I notice anything from your screenshots I'll let you know.

-Evan

If you want to play the game on your Sega CD system:

Yeah, good info guys, also, I find that if i just want to make a game and not mess with the audio tracks, i just burn the ISO image with Nero.

Also, burn the game at 1x or 2x, I know it takes a million years to burn but there is a higher chance that the game will play on the Sega CD system.

hey Wopap,

I have a question for you... have you tried playing a real (authentic) game cd on your SegaCD? You probably don't have one, I would try that too to make sure the SegaCD works.

-Evan

hey Wopap,

I have a question for you... have you tried playing a real (authentic) game cd on your SegaCD?  You probably don't have one, I would try that too to make sure the SegaCD works.

-Evan

I have a sega cd game that came with the system and it works fine...

I know this is a long shot, but if I mailed you a blank cd, with a prepaid return envelope, could you burn me a copy just to see if it works on mine or not? Won't cost you a dime, except for your time :(

Hi Evan.  I followed all the suggestions above, I redownloade  the nhl94iso as specified, configured the bios and the game still does not play on the emulator.  When I load the game, the sega cd screen comes on, followed by a screen with sonic and some sega music, then the emulator screen goes blank.  Are the data files on the website missing something?

I'm still getting this problem even after downloading the new bios.

I have a sega cd game that came with the system and it works fine...

I know this is a long shot, but if I mailed you a blank cd, with a prepaid return envelope, could you burn me a copy just to see if it works on mine or not?  Won't cost you a dime, except for your time  :)

What if I just burned a CD for you and mailed it to you? The question is, what ISO would I burn?

-Evan