NHL'94 Forums

NHL94.com

kupuck19

I think its awesome how we all found this site to share our love for NHL '94. Kind of interested in hearing everyone's story of how they stumbled upon this site. I remember this last summer I was looking up some highlight videos on youtube to put up on my myspace and I saw one of the "infamous" Dr. Pizza commentary videos in the related videos section off to the side. It caught my eye because I saw the Minnesota Wild logo on the ice and I said to myself "wait a second, the Wild weren't around in 94!" Like an idiot I always talk to myself. So anyways I watch the clip and bam, before I knew it NHL 94 came back into my life.

What is everyone else's story?

-Vinnie

I was growing more and more dissapointed with newer NHL incarnations, and as a last ditch effort went online to read reviews for the newest 2K and EA incarnations to see if they were worth it (94 is great, but being the only avid fan out of my friend group, it's hard to enjoy playing against an AI that can barely handle you moving anyway but in a straight line :lol: ). Through a series of links, I ended up at nhl94.com, and i've been a rabid fan once again ever since.

NHL 94 was one of those things I would search for from time to time (pre-google days). I remember visiting Evan's site probably close to 10 years ago and seeing his personal records. I also found the sega cd version through this site.

I can't remember at what time they updated it, but eventually there was a forum and one day I finally signed up to chime in about underrated players on the game. Basically, every so often I would check out the site over the last 10 years, seeing as how it's not very hard to remember the name of the website.

I always played the console version of NHL 94, so one cold December day I decided to see if there was anything, ANYTHING on the internet that had to do about NHL 94.

I then discovered this awesome site and, just like Logan and probably everyone else, I have been an more of a fan of NHL 94 (emulator & console) than I ever have been.

<<< p.s. why was the location and # of posts taken out of the mini profile <<<<< ??

....Admin Edit: (text removed) please have a better taste in judgement....

damnit! something interesting happened and I missed it by less than an hour. mother f u c k e r s ! I wonder what "taste in judgment" means...

I'm really not sure. How long has this site been up? Seeing it as I registered "18-January 06" I've been around almost two years. I know I hanged around for some time before I registered.

And I have been playing NHL 94 on emulator since probably 2000 or so, and got hold of Mack's SNES hack somewhere around 03-04, I think that's when it was released.. I guess I stumbled across nhl94.com after searching for resources to hack the rom maybe. Really not sure. But I'm happy I found this place.

:lol:

For years, I always played with my one buddy. When we went to college, we weren't able to play b/c at that time (circa 1994-99), we only knew how to play on the console. Sheeit, I don't even think I had a hotmail account until 1997 lol. So we were only able to play on breaks which in college, are fortunately quite long.

Then towards the end of the college years, he started dating this one girl who hated the fact that we hung out, even though all we did was play nhl '94. I really think she thought that when we said we were going to play nhl '94 that translated into we were going to go grab some rub n tugs.

To think back on it, we kept handwritten records of at least 7 seasons with stats. We had 10 teams each as well, kept the stats for all the starters and even had awards for every season. God, it's crazy to imagine the tons of binders with all this info. Anyway, he ends up marrying this girl and moves to the far reaches of the Chicago burbs where she can keep him away from NHL. From there on out, we played less frequently. He came out one time just over a year ago to play for the whole night and we caught up. Apparently, some women will do anything to keep their man away from NHL94 b/c she ended up getting pregnant a couple months later. What nerve. So last year I thought I was going to have to wrap up the ole Genesis Power Stick for good.

About a month after I found out she was pregnant, I was coming to terms with the selfish act bestowed by my friends wife to destroy my '94 career. I remember going in for a haircut and my guy was telling me how he was heading up to Minnesota for a '95 tourney (turned out to be one of Segathon's '95 tourney... small world lol). He told me how there was a site set up for it, how much fun it was, etc. I was really disappointed b/c there was nothing set up like that for '94. At that point, I was even desperate enough to try to take on '95 as my home game b/c at least I could network through him. What a dark time that would have been my friends. Instead I went home after my haircut that day and typed in NHL '94 in google and BAM! Evan's site popped up. I immediately signed up in Oct of 2006 and some great guys like Gr81, VC, Habs, Addison, Jesus really had the patience to help me through the whole process since I never played anything online before. And when I say patience, these guys were the ultimate good sports with me. The rest is history and EA76 lived happily ever after.

So... What happened to your friend!? Didn't you get him hooked up and up online?? :)

Xstioph, first of all, I'm impressed that you read through that epic. Didn't mean for it to go that long. Second, it's unfortunate that due to our distance, it's difficult to wield any influence from where I'm at.

I got him to play online with me once, walked him through all the steps but I could tell he wasn't too comfortable with it. But then again, who was their first time playing online. More importantly, I could hear his wife in the background asking a million questions and I could tell by her tone, she wasn't about him playing it. So I guess his transformation to the dark side of a life without NHL by his wife (aka the Emperor) was made complete at that point. It's too bad b/c he would be a top notch coach on this site.

Great thread.

I've had the site nhl94.com since late 2003 and the forum was created December 2004, but we went through 1 server crash where the database was not saved. One of the guys on the forum here had the "nosebleed section forums" before I was running this stuff which was the previous nhl94 community. Some of you probably remember that.

Also, the post count etc. on the left is missing because the forum software is retarded hehe. I'm hoping to have that back soon but I don't want to mess around with the forum while there's a draft going on.

-Evan

Before i found the site i had actually been playing NHL 94 on the emulator since 1999, i remember myself sitting in Biology class in high school for a couple days creating schedules and player lists for my own seasons agaisnt the cpu. Then off and on id be playing NHL 94 according to the seasons i had created. But playing against the AI was only so entertaining for so long, i thought for a while i was the only guy in the world still playing this game and that i was doomed to never play against any legit competition since none of my friends ever played it.

But then one day when i was just talkin crap with a couple of my buddies about NHL 94 for whatever reason and i decided to put it into the search engine and lo and behold i found this site, i was in amazement, never in the world did i ever think i would find something anything like this. When i got home to my own computer i checked out every little thing i could find on the site and i looked at all the leagues, started taking down AIM names and i played my very first game against addisonbr...he handed me my own head on a platter in a 7-2 beat down.

After that i decided that this was something i wanted to get into, so i did what i thought would be the best thing possible, i'd start playing guys in Gens B fall league (since it was october 2006 when i found the site) and i learned the ropes there, i was playing very competitively in that level, so i started messaging A leaguers, they showed me i still had a lot to learn, but i showed them i had a lot of potential, with the help of a lot of guys such as matthurray, addison and a few others were able to help me convince Evan i was worthy of being a replacement coach in A league, after that, things just kind of took off.

And thus the story of AJ was begun.

Great thread.

I've had the site nhl94.com since late 2003 and the forum was created December 2004, but we went through 1 server crash where the database was not saved. One of the guys on the forum here had the "nosebleed section forums" before I was running this stuff which was the previous nhl94 community. Some of you probably remember that.

Also, the post count etc. on the left is missing because the forum software is retarded hehe. I'm hoping to have that back soon but I don't want to mess around with the forum while there's a draft going on.

-Evan

Evan, did you have an old site with random 94 related stuff? I swear I remember visiting an NHL 94 site a lot further back than 2003.

Xstioph, first of all, I'm impressed that you read through that epic. Didn't mean for it to go that long.

Heh, I usually doze off halfway through long posts like that, but I got caught up in the story. :lol: Man, his wife sure sounds like a real b***h.. :) Gotta give the dude some free time, oh well.. Good thing you've got people online to play against!

Before i found the site i had actually been playing NHL 94 on the emulator since 1999, i remember myself sitting in Biology class in high school for a couple days creating schedules and player lists for my own seasons agaisnt the cpu. Then off and on id be playing NHL 94 according to the seasons i had created. But playing against the AI was only so entertaining for so long, i thought for a while i was the only guy in the world still playing this game and that i was doomed to never play against any legit competition since none of my friends ever played it.

But then one day when i was just talkin crap with a couple of my buddies about NHL 94 for whatever reason and i decided to put it into the search engine and lo and behold i found this site, i was in amazement, never in the world did i ever think i would find something anything like this. When i got home to my own computer i checked out every little thing i could find on the site and i looked at all the leagues, started taking down AIM names and i played my very first game against addisonbr...he handed me my own head on a platter in a 7-2 beat down.

After that i decided that this was something i wanted to get into, so i did what i thought would be the best thing possible, i'd start playing guys in Gens B fall league (since it was october 2006 when i found the site) and i learned the ropes there, i was playing very competitively in that level, so i started messaging A leaguers, they showed me i still had a lot to learn, but i showed them i had a lot of potential, with the help of a lot of guys such as matthurray, addison and a few others were able to help me convince Evan i was worthy of being a replacement coach in A league, after that, things just kind of took off.

And thus the story of AJ was begun.

And now we're pretty much dead by your hands, sir.

Stumbled on this site looking for player ratings for NHL 95 for the drunk tourneys we do a few times a year. Turns out there is a lotta love for the nhl series. Also found another site called unholygrail which was another 95 drunk tourney so I decided to post my stuff on a website too.

Love this site and find myself visiting it too often. I think this next season I will try my hand in at a nhl94 online league so I can totally be immersed in this site.

Bored because I was laided off, decided to download a Gens Emulator to try out some classic games. I was already playing Tecmo Super Bowl(wasnt very good) on the Nesticle Emulator, so I thought to give the 16-bit another try.

Played some old RPGs, like Shining Force and then stumbled upon a nhl94 chat. I met Tickenest there, who was playing in the Europe 94 leagues at the time when he told me about this site.

Ive been hooked since and after getting blasted by the likes of him and backhandfloater, I find myself to be a decent player now.

For years, I always played with my one buddy. When we went to college, we weren't able to play b/c at that time (circa 1994-99), we only knew how to play on the console. Sheeit, I don't even think I had a hotmail account until 1997 lol. So we were only able to play on breaks which in college, are fortunately quite long.

Then towards the end of the college years, he started dating this one girl who hated the fact that we hung out, even though all we did was play nhl '94. I really think she thought that when we said we were going to play nhl '94 that translated into we were going to go grab some rub n tugs.

To think back on it, we kept handwritten records of at least 7 seasons with stats. We had 10 teams each as well, kept the stats for all the starters and even had awards for every season. God, it's crazy to imagine the tons of binders with all this info. Anyway, he ends up marrying this girl and moves to the far reaches of the Chicago burbs where she can keep him away from NHL. From there on out, we played less frequently. He came out one time just over a year ago to play for the whole night and we caught up. Apparently, some women will do anything to keep their man away from NHL94 b/c she ended up getting pregnant a couple months later. What nerve. So last year I thought I was going to have to wrap up the ole Genesis Power Stick for good.

About a month after I found out she was pregnant, I was coming to terms with the selfish act bestowed by my friends wife to destroy my '94 career. I remember going in for a haircut and my guy was telling me how he was heading up to Minnesota for a '95 tourney (turned out to be one of Segathon's '95 tourney... small world lol). He told me how there was a site set up for it, how much fun it was, etc. I was really disappointed b/c there was nothing set up like that for '94. At that point, I was even desperate enough to try to take on '95 as my home game b/c at least I could network through him. What a dark time that would have been my friends. Instead I went home after my haircut that day and typed in NHL '94 in google and BAM! Evan's site popped up. I immediately signed up in Oct of 2006 and some great guys like Gr81, VC, Habs, Addison, Jesus really had the patience to help me through the whole process since I never played anything online before. And when I say patience, these guys were the ultimate good sports with me. The rest is history and EA76 lived happily ever after.

Awesome story man. I nominate this as the top story so far. Since were talking some offline 94 stories now, I remember being 5 years old doing the good ole' protect the puck and ram the goalie goal when my dad brought home a copy of NHL 94. My first real NHL 94 moments was a father and son moment as well, me and the ole man used to play each other every night when he got home from work. I would always get killed though, he hasn't touched the game in years, and I have never gotten my chance to beat him.

-Vinnie

Awesome story man. I nominate this as the top story so far. Since were talking some offline 94 stories now, I remember being 5 years old doing the good ole' protect the puck and ram the goalie goal when my dad brought home a copy of NHL 94. My first real NHL 94 moments was a father and son moment as well, me and the ole man used to play each other every night when he got home from work. I would always get killed though, he hasn't touched the game in years, and I have never gotten my chance to beat him.

-Vinnie

That is a beautiful damn story you just told Vinnie and although my own dad is limited to the complexity of computer solitaire as far as video games go, he is a good man and still sat down with his son to play nhl94 when we had the chance.

I ran across the site a few years ago while attempting to collect more people for a different SNES league and the place started turning into more of a daily visit. I had seen mentions of a GENS league on the site and I fired off an email to both Evan and the Finnish league in hopes of incorporating our SNES group with what they had running. The Finn's informed me that no one touched SNES with a 9.4ft pole while Evan graciously accepted and the man has a place in my heart 4FR because of it.

EDIT: Iamfleury: Women have some sort of sensory system that starts firing as soon as a man thinks or utters the word nhl94. They fear the lusty eyes their man wears everytime he picks up the controller and they will hate it b/c they cannot understand it. The first year after our own RL group got a hold of a multitap the women were sent into the corner where they played card games and talked about our ridiculous habits. 2 years later they had all moved on to other people in life but we stayed true to our passion. It was a time of sexless celebration.

Bored because I was laided off, decided to download a Gens Emulator to try out some classic games. I was already playing Tecmo Super Bowl(wasnt very good) on the Nesticle Emulator, so I thought to give the 16-bit another try.

Played some old RPGs, like Shining Force and then stumbled upon a nhl94 chat. I met Tickenest there, who was playing in the Europe 94 leagues at the time when he told me about this site.

Ive been hooked since and after getting blasted by the likes of him and backhandfloater, I find myself to be a decent player now.

You know, I vaguely recall that. It must have been like two years ago or so, though. I'm surprised you weren't liking TSB. A lot of people have played a lot of TSB online with NESticle (including me, though I stopped a while ago). Was it the NESticle experience or just the game itself that you didn't like so much?

Its funny you say that Tick, because after reading it over again I understand why would think that. What I meant by it is, I loved the game and playing against the CPU, but found playing against others online was boring because it didnt take skill. People just memorized the Playbook and knew what would happen most of the time, just after the play started.

EDIT: Iamfleury: Women have some sort of sensory system that starts firing as soon as a man thinks or utters the word nhl94. They fear the lusty eyes their man wears everytime he picks up the controller and they will hate it b/c they cannot understand it. The first year after our own RL group got a hold of a multitap the women were sent into the corner where they played card games and talked about our ridiculous habits. 2 years later they had all moved on to other people in life but we stayed true to our passion. It was a time of sexless celebration.

Although, there's nothing funny about a sexless celebration, it's funny to imagine these women plotting your sexless demise at a table while the boys were doing what they enjoy most. Unfortunately for the girls, what you enjoyed doing most were not those girls. Oh well, there will always be more women to fall by the wayside but there will only be one nhl94.

And let me tell you schwartz that I witnessed the firing of this sensory system first hand when I was over at backhandfloaters yesterday. His gf was not having any of the nhl-ness. lol

And let me tell you schwartz that I witnessed the firing of this sensory system first hand when I was over at backhandfloaters yesterday. His gf was not having any of the nhl-ness. lol

No joke right!? lol. Sorry about that.

EA - we should host a big ol' tourney in Chicago. We'll have it at my place. I'd love to see her reaction. lol

No joke right!? lol. Sorry about that.

EA - we should host a big ol' tourney in Chicago. We'll have it at my place. I'd love to see her reaction. lol

No need to apologize. Would I really expect her to say "can I fetch you fellas some beers and whip up some of my homemade nachos?". Yeeeeah, I woudn't think so.

Well, you defnitely have the space to host it. I'm just scared if you do, she might bomb the place. lol

All of these ho's don't accept the fact that they are much easier to replace than the greatest game of all time. Play one game have a variety of girls that is the best formula. I learned the hard way. Got married a year ago, I have less freedom than a single guy in China........."All good days begin with a happy ending" and end with some nhl.

Sdogg