NHL'94 Forums

Great site, great game...

frosty

All:

Just wanted to say hey---just came across this site just recently and wanted to show you guys our NHL '94 running in a custom-built cabinet. Takes a little getting used to the joystick controls, but it's the most played game for us...

post-30-1113695928_thumb.jpg

I play NHL on my cocktail cabinet from time to time, but yeah, the joystick controls are odd to get used to, so I usually use a PS2 controller with one of those USB convertors.

Looks like you use a real arcade monitor? Are you running an ArcadeVGA with GensAVGA or GensFE?

I'm the smuck who slightly modified the original code of Gens to create those mods for the BYOAC scene.

Nice!

You're correct: using a new 19" Kortek monitor running AVGA with Gens in it's native 321x240, and it looks fantastic (nice work on that modification, BTW). I haven't integrated this with MAMEWAH yet--is that fairly straightforward?

The cabinet project is here, BTW:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/....html#msg296579

What's funny is that we've actually gotten quite used to the joystick setup--with our group, '94 quickly becomes 'full-contact', so it's a whole new element when there's someone standing right next to you at a cabinet... <grin>.

Also, I posted a topic regarding running the AVGA version of ZSNES on the BYOAC forum and no one's been able to help me. Any ideas on this?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/....html#msg309170

Thanks-

Frosty

Haven't configured it with Mamewah myself, but I'm pretty sure you can find the required info if you search the BYOAC forums. I prefer the simplistic look of gamelauncher myself.

For SNES gaming I use SNES9X as you can actually set the desired resolution based on what the video card offers. For SNES emulation, you want 256x240. Infact, the ingame resolution of the genesis hockey roms also runs at 256x240. Titles screens and menus are mostly 320(1)x240.

I've always wanted to do a SNES9X FE version.... but making the changes wasn't as easy as it was making Gens FE/AVGA so I kind of gave up on the idea :lol:

I have only played the SNES version once, I am a genesis supporter. What is it about the SNES that everyone loves? Do you like the powerbar for shooting?

Haven't configured it with Mamewah myself, but I'm pretty sure you can find the required info if you search the BYOAC forums.  I prefer the simplistic look of gamelauncher myself.

For SNES gaming I use SNES9X as you can actually set the desired resolution based on what the video card offers.  For SNES emulation, you want 256x240.  Infact, the ingame resolution of the genesis hockey roms also runs at 256x240.  Titles screens and menus are mostly 320(1)x240.

I've always wanted to do a SNES9X FE version.... but making the changes wasn't as easy as it was making Gens FE/AVGA so I kind of gave up on the idea :lol:

The references made to SNES in this thread relate to SNES/Genesis emulation on a particular piece of video card hardware known as the ArcadeVGA.

The only actual comparison made relates to in the game resolutions used on the original hardware/games.

If you want to start a fanboy war over NHL on the SNES vs Genesis, then I suggest you start a new post. I'm sure many here will happily explain the differences and their preferences between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Wboy....it's interesting configuring the AVGA version of most EMUs, but well worth it, I think. I took your advice and ran with SNES9X @ 256x240, and that seemed to do the trick...looks good! Still, the most reaction comes from '94 on AVGA Gens--everyone loves it...

After finding this site (and having not played '94 in a while) I went back and found a bunch of old-school pictures of a bunch of us playing in college. I'll have to post 'em at some point, they're damn funny...