NHL'94 Forums

What cities have you seen games in?

halifax

I've got to see a game at the ACC...140 bucks half way up upper bowl(scalper tickets)...all everyone did was make fun on antropov

Saw a game in boston..lowerbowl..50 bucks....

and two games in buffalo...one game upper bowl 50 bucks...then lower bowl game for 30 bucks(year after the lockout when buffalo tickets were dirt cheap)

I'd say the most enjoyable atmosphere was in buffalo. Fans went nuts throughout the game.

But I've heard that MSG is the place to be for an NHL game.

This is a good thread, just cities for National Hockey League games I presume...

Calgary (5 games), Pittsburgh (1 game against Flames), Tampa Gay, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Sunrise, Detroit (1 game against Flames), saw an NHL exhibition in Orlando once during the mid-1990's if that technically counts...

saw an NHL exhibition in Orlando once during the mid-1990's if that technically counts...

ahh that reminds me...I saw one of the neutral site games they did back in the early 90's at the metro centre in halifax. It was the new york rangers and washington I think.

ahh that reminds me...I saw one of the neutral site games they did back in the early 90's at the metro centre in halifax. It was the new york rangers and washington I think.

Don't see any neutral-site games during the regular season these days, just in the preseason. Seemed like there were a lot of neutral site games on the schedule during the regular season back in the 90's...

(In a geezer voice) Ah, the good old days...

I have hardly even seen games on TV, I traveled to Ireland (during new year) and was able to catch a glimpse of a game in a pub! :lol: I was like "what the hell, NHL in Ireland!?", I mean there's not like that would happen here in Sweden, it's just crappy soccer. The odd times they might show hockey is during the Olympics or the World Championship. But I might be shooting myself in the foot here, as nothings open when the games start over there, heh.. Well it sucks anyway.

I've only been able to catch like a handful of games via streaming over the web. I can only watch games on Friday and Saturday night, and for that to add up with both having a decent stream source available and a good game being on, well it rarely happens.

The dream is to travel to Canada, Toronto and watch one or a pair of games against Detroit...

To get back on topic (if I went off...): None, nowhere.

Just seen games locally in MN.

The excel center is a great place to watch hockey, especially compared to the old met the north stars played in, though I did see a detroit redwing accidently punch a ref against the north stars when I was a kid.

Also went to a lot of College games as I went to St Cloud State. We would travel to Minnesota, Minnesota State, Duluth and Wisconsin to watch them play. Good times.

I've seen all the locals for me (Isles, Rangers, Devils) and I have also seen a Plymouth Whalers AHL (?) game in Michigan...that's about it. I am planning on going to see some of the closer teams sometime soon (Boston, Philly, Buffalo, Washington) and a few out of the way ones like Vancouver, Nashville and Carolina.

So that would mean I have seen games in: NYC, Uniondale (Long Island), Secaucus (NJ) and Plymouth (MI).

I would LOVE to see Montreal or Toronto...but it is INSANELY expensive to get tix :lol:

MSG is the best place to go in the NYC area...but PLEASE don't go during an Isles or Flyers game violence tends to break out...

I've seen Islanders, Rangers, Buffalo, Detroit in the NHL. Buffalo by far had the best crowd. Though I'm sure Detroit used to, the economy plummeting and the Red Wings becoming like the Atlanta Braves of hockey (win ton of regular season games then crash in the playoffs) has made a Red Wings game much more ordinary. They also really need a new arena. I've also seen a bunch of Plymouth Whalers (OHL) games which are always a lot of fun especially last year when they won the OHL championship.

Cities I've seen hockey games in:

New York City, NY (Rangers) - A bunch of games in Madison Square Garden, love that place. Fans are great. One of my favorite moments at a Rangers game was Kovalev scores an empty net goal against Dallas from behind his own net.

Uniondale, NY (Islanders) - Seen lots of games here since I live about 20 minutes away and for a long time Isles tickets were very cheap. Fans are good, though the atmosphere is very kiddy.

Buffalo, NY (Sabres) - Got to catch a game in Buffalo vs. the Rangers. Was a great game including the power going out because of the heavy winds. Fans here were outstanding.

Secaucus, NJ (Devils) - Seen a game at Continental where the Devils had an overtime win and the place went nuts.

Hartford, CT (Whalers) - Got to see a Whalers game vs. the Rangers way back before they moved. Was pretty young to remember any details.

Montreal, Canada (Canadiens) - Got to see the Canadiens play in their new arena a few years ago. Great place, great people.

Plymouth, MI (Whalers OHL) - Got to see the Plymouth Whalers play with egg and gesundheit39. This was actually an intense game, with more excitement than an average NHL game.

I believe these are all the locations I've seen so far. I do plan on watching games at other locations as well.

-Evan

San Jose several times, ive seen regular season games and two playoff games including the game that mike danton got arrested in 4 years ago.

Vancouver saw the oilers come to town on my excursion to canada a few years ago, great atmosphere, and i took a bit of crap from the crowd for wearing an oilers jersey.

Stockton good ol echl hockey, saw the very first game 2 years ago for the franchise and have been to a handful of other games. Highest attendence in the league the last few years, always a good game.

Kamloops Saw the WHL blazers up in kamloops when they took on the vancouver giants. got to see and hear some sterotypical canadiens, a very knowledgeble and friendly crowd that loves their hockey in a very nice new building.

I was supposed to see a game in kelowna, nannaimo and victoria as well as possibly portland in the WHL, but the weather wasnt permitting.

Great thread!

I've seen Vancouver play against many teams. (usually I go to about 8 home games a year)

Los Angeles - 1993 - I saw them play against the Canucks in a playoff game.

Anaheim - 2004 - They played St. Louis and it ended up being a 2-2 tie. If only there were shootouts then...

Also, I'm seeing Buffalo on November 23rd. It's going to be a great trip.

I'm flying to Toronto on Thursday the 22nd, the Friday I'm driving down to Buffalo to see the Sabres play the Habs, Saturday just going to like CN Tower and HHOF. Sunday, Toronto Raptors game against Chicago Bulls at noon, and then the GREY CUP in the afternoon. :lol:

I'm flying to Toronto on Thursday the 22nd, the Friday I'm driving down to Buffalo to see the Sabres play the Habs, Saturday just going to like CN Tower and HHOF. Sunday, Toronto Raptors game against Chicago Bulls at noon, and then the GREY CUP in the afternoon. :lol:

CN Tower - Cool to get to the top and stand on the glass and look down...freaks you out a bit.

Raptors - I saw a raps game two years ago and the mascot was the best part of the game.....the new look raps should make it mroe enjoyable

HHOF - been there twice...the first time I went...they had the gretzky exhibit set up the year after he retired...that was awesome...then went again in 2006...I can spend the whole day there.

Grey cup - Should be awesome, im still regretting not getting tickets when I lived in Regina for the game a few years back.

Great Trip planned!

I have only seen games in Buffalo, NY (unless you count a Sabres/Leaves prospect game in Ft. Erie Ont.)

I do have tickets to an NHL game in Orchard Park, NY on New Years Day, cant wait!

*edit: I saw a Sabres/Penguins preseason game in Cleveland, Ohio

Chicago - many games since this is where I live. Look forward to going to games agains as my friend and I have lifted our 9 year ban of paying for attendance after the passing of Dollar Bill Wirtz.

San Jose - one game vs. the Blackhawks around 2003. Nice arena for a game, feel closer to the game, kind of like the Rose Garden in Portland for the Trailblazers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a die hard Leafs fan.

so that means the only way to see a Leafs game for me is to travel 4 hours to Buffalo, or 3 hours to Ottawa, because i'd never beable to see a home game.

but unfortunately i haven't been to an NHL game in my life.

Tons of OHL games tho, because I live in Peterborough...home of the Petes. Go me.

One of the most memorable games i seen was last december against the Ottawa 67s, it was Steve Downie's last game as a Pete, right before he went to the World Tourniment, and it was also teddy bear night, where everyone brought in a teddy bear, and when the Petes scored the first goal, they throw them onto the ice.

1:30 into the first period, they score, and it took 10 minutes to clear the Ice off.

Good times.

altho i'm still waiting for the day I get to go see an NHL game. I'd love to see Toronto against any original 6, preferably Montreal or Boston, or the leafs against Ottawa or Buffalo.

-crosses my fingers-

Wow I gotta say, the Buffalo Sabres game (Friday November 23rd vs. Montreal) that I went to was fantastic!! The fans had so much passion and even though almost a quarter of the stadium was filled with habs fans, we sent them home sad :lol:. While I was there I also bought an Afinogenov jersey :P.

Also, I love that goal horn. It gets me so pumped every time I hear it.

CN Tower - Cool to get to the top and stand on the glass and look down...freaks you out a bit.

Raptors - I saw a raps game two years ago and the mascot was the best part of the game.....the new look raps should make it mroe enjoyable

HHOF - been there twice...the first time I went...they had the gretzky exhibit set up the year after he retired...that was awesome...then went again in 2006...I can spend the whole day there.

Grey cup - Should be awesome, im still regretting not getting tickets when I lived in Regina for the game a few years back.

Great Trip planned!

CN Tower - I layed down, head facing down, on the glass floor, and it scared the sh*t out of me!

Raptors game - Pretty fun, also since I got to sit behind the hoop, row 20. Good game too.

HHOF - Shooting on Eddy the Eagle was pretty sweet, seeing as I scored 3 out of 5 shots. Any hockey fan could spend the whole day there.

Grey Cup - If only the BC Lions were in it.... but still a good game. Beer lineups were HUGE!

The one thing about my trip that I didn't really like was how the Rogers Centre and the A.C.C. take off the cap of the pop bottles for some reason. Anyone know why they do that?

The one thing about my trip that I didn't really like was how the Rogers Centre and the A.C.C. take off the cap of the pop bottles for some reason. Anyone know why they do that?

That happens at baseball games, too. It's to prevent people from filling them back up with water (or piss or whatever) and throwing them at players.

How much does a NHL game cost ?

It really depends on where you see it. In Vancouver, the cheapest seats in the house are about $75 where as the cheapest seats in Chicago will be only like $20.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting ready to see the Flames in Miami and Tampa Bay one week from now. Calgary hasn't been to Florida since 2004, ugh, and they haven't been here to make the "Florida swing" during the regular season since the 2002-03 year.

So to say I am somewhat excited is an extreme understatement!

:P

Looks like those were some great games Jamonica! Tonight Calgary wins 9-6!!!! That's just unreal!

I guess i've been lucky in this one living my whole life on the east coast in New York.

I've been a season ticket holder for the islanders, so chalk up that dump known as Nassau Colo. Been to MSG plenty of times, atmosphere is great, site lines are ok.... been to Continental Arena for Devils.

Road tips I have been on were to Hartford, Philly, Washington, Montreal and Toronto (to see habs-leafs, a must do as well as go to the hall of fame.) I have also been to the old Great Western Forum in LA. Lastly just a couple of season ago I added Boston to the list, great town especially with the arena within walking distance to some great nightspots for postgame drinks.