NHL'94 Forums

Gensnetplay Tips

Scribe99

First off, turning on FPS display (under options --> misc) is a nice indicator for netplay, allowing you to see and quantify slowdown or lag spikes.

Then, through messing around with the FPS display, I made another finding. If you turn frameskip to 0, the FPS meter goes through the roof, so you want to leave it on auto. However, when I had frameskip set at 0, I noticed that different resolutions and graphic renderings operated at different speeds.

The rendering, Normal, operates at an extremely slow speed relative to the others. In a large window it would run at somewhere between 100-200 fps with frameskip set at 0, while others run much faster. The rendering, Scanline, is by far the fastest rendering filter. It may not look completely pretty, but it runs at close to 900 fps on my pc when in a large window.

Obviously you can't play at 900 fps, so you need to set the frameskip to auto. You would think that there wouldn't be a difference between graphic renderings, because auto frameskip makes everything run at 60 FPS. But the different between playing with the scanline filter and the normal filter is night and day to me. The game moves more fluidly and the control is way faster to respond when you're playing on scanline. The reason being that gens simply processes it faster. I really recommend trying this out.

While scanline may make it run the fastest, if you have a fast computer, i'd suggest setting it to 2xSAI (Kreed) rendering mode. If you're a diehard classic kind of guy, this may not be for you, but if you think 94 could be less pixelated, well...the screenshots tell a story.

Classic.PNG

Kreed.PNG

"Kreed" looks better, in my opinion. Some might say it's just blury, but to me it looks nicer somehow. I'm going to attempt to play with it online, and if there's no change in performance, i'm keeping it.

While scanline may make it run the fastest, if you have a fast computer, i'd suggest setting it to 2xSAI (Kreed) rendering mode. If you're a diehard classic kind of guy, this may not be for you, but if you think 94 could be less pixelated, well...the screenshots tell a story.

Classic.PNG

Kreed.PNG

"Kreed" looks better, in my opinion. Some might say it's just blury, but to me it looks nicer somehow. I'm going to attempt to play with it online, and if there's no change in performance, i'm keeping it.

I used to play on kreed all the time, but I kind of prefer the old school look nowadays. Also, kreed is the slowest rendering I've tested so far and I wouldn't be surprised if the game's control and smoothness take a major hit.