NHL'94 Forums

Ideas for next season

Scribe99

This has been discussed before, but I'd really like to see a midseason window for making trades and free agent pickups. I think Dmitry has said that every team would need to have played the same number of games in order to work with the database, although I'm uncertain of all of the details.

My proposal is for the league to set a midseason deadline which requires half of the games to have been played (28 games). At this point owners would have a couple days to a week to pick up free agents or make trades, before restarting the 2nd half of the season. There are a couple guys on the free agent list I'd really like to pick up, knowing what I now know about my team. Also, there are a couple of valuable pieces now riding my bench that I wouldn't mind turning into a useful player through trades.

I think we could also vote on all-star teams for each conference and come up with some midseason grades just to make things more interesting. Then the new rom could include the GDL all-stars on each of the conference squads.

What do you guys think?

Would the proposed transaction window only allow trades of current players, or would it also allow swapping for the next season's draft picks?

For example, you have a team that knows it won't be qualifying for the playoffs. Can this team sell off its assets to playoff-bound teams for draft picks in the next season's draft? Or is that going way outside of the box for what we're doing here?

Anyways, I have no problem with a mid-season window, as long as it's not a huge holdup in getting guys to a certain number of games for the window to be activated. A concern would also be teams out of it just trading their good players to whomever they want, or unbalanced trades that would need to be reviewed by the league/commissioner...

I would vote yes on such an idea. Not only would it allow non-playoff bound teams a shot at future improvement, teams on the playoff bubble could trade picks for better players in an attempt to get over the hump. One possible obstacle would be increasing roster sizes but that could be offset by putting people on waivers/signing free agents.

I dont understand how you could trade draft picks, what the hell is the guy next season going to get when the draft comes and he has no pick? Pick in 13th round? And the person aquiring draft picks would have more than 12 man roster. I dont think we should do this at all, as teams that are done for the season and out of playoffs could try to collude with a contender and trade off their superstars for scrubs. Even with a person to veto trades in place I've seen rip offs happen aplenty. Also this looks like its alot of extra work, and alot of extra downtime for the league. Your going to have to wait 3 weeks or so for everybody to get the same amount of gms.

I like the allstar idea, just select the top guys for each position.

They would get the same thing teams in real life who trade picks get: No pick in the round, and the option of signing an extra free agent instead. I agree with what you say about the deadline not being met though. If the deadline would actually work I think its a fine idea.

This has been discussed before, but I'd really like to see a midseason window for making trades and free agent pickups. I think Dmitry has said that every team would need to have played the same number of games in order to work with the database, although I'm uncertain of all of the details.

My proposal is for the league to set a midseason deadline which requires half of the games to have been played (28 games). At this point owners would have a couple days to a week to pick up free agents or make trades, before restarting the 2nd half of the season. There are a couple guys on the free agent list I'd really like to pick up, knowing what I now know about my team. Also, there are a couple of valuable pieces now riding my bench that I wouldn't mind turning into a useful player through trades.

I think we could also vote on all-star teams for each conference and come up with some midseason grades just to make things more interesting. Then the new rom could include the GDL all-stars on each of the conference squads.

What do you guys think?

There isn't a problem with the database as long as there aren't 2 versions of the rom being used. I think the main problem would be guys not wanting to play certain games until they can make a trade. I think we went over this once, but if someone changes rosters and acquires a superstar, then goes back and plays a game that was supposed to be played in the first week, his opponent is facing a potentially better team that he shouldn't have had to play.

In the future it would be possible to set up the database to allow different roms for different parts of the schedule to be used throughout the season, but that's a significant bit of work to set up.

Based on what's been posted thus far, I don't know if my idea is going to fly that well here.

Next season, I don't think there should be any trading... at any point before or during the season. And while I'm at it, I suggest we eliminate Free Agent pickups as well. I'm not going to turn this into some rant but the whole trading thing is pretty lame. And especially now that we're talking trading future draft picks doesn't settle all that well with me.

-As far as All Star Game... please refer to my second post in that thread back from S1...

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2661

-Also, from my first post in the same thread, now that we have the ability to record injuries, we should have a Biggest Badass/Pussy Award based on the point system provided or something similar.

-And we should include the Awards for this season on next season's rom -- maybe on the season champs page that comes up (that would be pretty cool)

-I think the Award Names should be unique to us... The Evan Memorial Trophy, The Deke Freak Trophy, etc... you get my drift.

Based on what's been posted thus far, I don't know if my idea is going to fly that well here.

Next season, I don't think there should be any trading... at any point before or during the season. And while I'm at it, I suggest we eliminate Free Agent pickups as well. I'm not going to turn this into some rant but the whole trading thing is pretty lame. And especially now that we're talking trading future draft picks doesn't settle all that well with me.

-As far as All Star Game... please refer to my second post in that thread back from S1...

<a href="http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2661" target="_blank">http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2661</a>

-Also, from my first post in the same thread, now that we have the ability to record injuries, we should have a Biggest Badass/Pussy Award based on the point system provided or something similar.

-And we should include the Awards for this season on next season's rom -- maybe on the season champs page that comes up (that would be pretty cool)

-I think the Award Names should be unique to us... The Evan Memorial Trophy, The Deke Freak Trophy, etc... you get my drift.

I declare myself infinite winner of the "SSiG Whoop-dee-doo Thanks for Coming" Trophy (Best GM in a bad situation) :)

I don't really want to delve into trading draft picks, but I think a free agent pickup and trading period during the season is a good thing. Let's face it, you don't always know how all of your players will mesh until you play a substantial amount of games with them.

Having a midseason deadline I don't think would be a bad thing either. If anything, it would speed up the season because owners would be required to get their first 28 games played within a certain timeframe. As it stands now, a lot of owners have barely played any games. I guess I'm in the camp that would prefer to hammer out the regular season in a swift fashion, seeing as how these games only take 10 minutes to play.

As an aside, how long do most people expect the regular season to take? I think we should look at our expectations because right now there is no set rule and I don't think that's a good thing.

So to sum it up, I'm in favor of setting some regular season deadlines, and utilizing those to open a brief trading window to address your team needs. I love the GM aspects of this league, and so I see trades and free agency as a positive thing which compliments the draft itself.

I love trading but mid-season trades are dumb as hell. Teams who are out of it will offer rip off teams just to shake things up, which will unbalance the league.

*whispering* Shut up Minno, you're blowing my evil sch...I mean...I respectfully disagree good sir.

• 1 month later...