NHL'94 Forums

The Oddest P2p Game Ever

Michael

SEBE82 AIMed me for a friendly exibition game. I told him how to download the updated kailleria client so we could do P2P after a glitch with the Chicago server connection. We begin play as Montreal at Toronto. I notice that he's not playing as well as he usually does. Whenever he gets the puck he flips it down ice.

Suddenly he IMs me and asks if everything is OK with my controller. He also asks why I keep flipping the puck.

That's odd.....HE'S the one who keeps flipping the puck. Oh well, maybe he's been drinking or something or just f'ing with me.

So we play on and I'm dominating something like 5-0. I NEVER get that far ahead. So I IM him and ask if HIS controller is working. He pretty much just laughs at me and says it's fine. Something is not right.

Then, for no apparent reason, he PULLS HIS GOALIE. Sure enough I skate down ice and Gilmore drops one in the net. OK, enough is enough. I pause the game and before I can say anything SEBE82 IM's me and asks why I pulled my goalie.

Is this some kind of joke?

I reply back and tell him that HE pulled HIS goalie. He quickly becomes just as lost and freaked out as I am. I then ask him what the score is.

5-0 he says....HIS LEAD. I reply back that he must be mistaken because I'm up 6-0.

I then suggest that we cut the connection and try again. Low and behold the confustion continues. I IM him during the game and ask him the score. "4-0", he says. I see 3-0. #34 is in the penalty box and I ask him if that's what he sees. Sure enough there is no player in the penalty box.

We then decided it's best to stop playing and SEBE82 procedes to pick up another game with another coach.

SOOOOO, has ANYONE ever had this type of experience when playing any sort of on-line match. I'm kind of weirded out about it......

Haha yeah...when you desynch with somebody else, their team goes crazy because it's controlled by the computer but it's some kind of zombie computer because it's not smart at all and does crazy random stuff.

very common desync when the roms are different or in p2p this has happened to me many times. Putting extra smoothing on usually fixes it. Usually its pretty obvious to see, the other player will look like hes b checking alot or when he has the puck just dumps it in or shoots it away. Sometimes though, its less obvious.

If you guys were using the same rom, (maybe you weren't since you couldn't get a server game started), chances are that one player's connection was spiking. On p2p, the frame delay is locked in based on the normal ping between both players.

Before starting a p2p game, watch the ping that it displays. If it randomly spikes way higher than your normal ping you need to use extra smoothing option so it doesn't desync the game.

I was playing AJ in a playoff game and the same thing happened. What was the crazy f-ed up thing that gave it away? I scored.

I'm not really kidding. I scored (my first goal of the series) on a breakaway (without AJ taking control of the goalie and somehow convincing me to ram the puck up my own arse) and was like, something is wrong... Sure enough.