NHL'94 Forums

Rival League In Europe?

halifax

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225259&hubname=

There have been plenty of talk of rival leagues in the past but the fact that bob goodenow has been hired perhaps gives this one more legitmacy to get off the ground. What do you guys think?

If it does get off the ground...would it be good or bad for the NHL?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225259&hubname=

There have been plenty of talk of rival leagues in the past but the fact that bob goodenow has been hired perhaps gives this one more legitmacy to get off the ground. What do you guys think?

If it does get off the ground...would it be good or bad for the NHL?

If the league is in Russia, people won't play there. If (most of) the teams are in the Scandinavian countries, where the standard of living is pretty high, it might have a chance. However, I don't think many North American players would go play there unless they couldn't get a job in the NHL, due to the language barrier. Basically, you'd just have the European players stay in Europe, and the Canadian and American players stay in the NHL.

I like having the NHL as the top league.. I get to see all the best players.

It will be like the MLS here.

Thats ridiculas to say that, at best it will be like the MLS in europe. But I can tell you most european players who have been well adjusted to north america will not be leaving for europe. In the long term I think NHL could expand into europe and have a europian division. But no way is this russian rival league going to be any legitimate threat. They will just super over pay for players, lose loads of money every season and fold in 3-4 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats ridiculas to say that, at best it will be like the MLS in europe.

The MLS isn't in Europe. Read what he said and think before you post.

But if it was, I'd go for it. Bring back the old MLS scoring system! 3 points for a win, 1 point for a shootout win, 0 points for a loss!

And very clearly bad for the NHL. BUT it might be good for hockey...

The MLS isn't in Europe. Read what he said and think before you post.

But if it was, I'd go for it. Bring back the old MLS scoring system! 3 points for a win, 1 point for a shootout win, 0 points for a loss!

And very clearly bad for the NHL. BUT it might be good for hockey...

No, he was comparing MLS to European leagues. He wasn't saying that MLS was in Europe.