NHL'94 Forums

New League Format Idea

How about this for a league...

-Make seedings for all coaches that want to join.

-Pair up the top seeded coach with the lowest seeded coach. (1&20, 2&19, 3&18, 4&17, etc)

-Each pair will pick a team (at first thought, lowest seeded coaches pick teams first)

-If we have a 40 game season, each coach in the pair will have to play 20 games each.

-Those games will be designated for each coach ahead of time.

-Play out the league in a pretty typical format.

-Top whatever teams make the playoffs.

-Top seeded coaches have to play the top seeded coach on the other team in the playoffs but each game, the coaches switch each game to play the seed closest to their seeding (ex. Game 1: TeamA top seed vs TeamB top seed / Game 2: TeamA lower seed vs TeamB lower seed, etc)

This is obviously a rough draft and I'm open to suggestions and more so, if there's any interest in this kind of format.

Just thought it would be a good idea and pretty cool for guys who typically wouldn't be involved in a lg with some coaches to pair up with one another.

Also, due that I don't know how to run a league, I'm at the mercy of an admin stepping up to help me out. I can commish the league as long as I have someone to help me with the back end.

Any interest? Thoughts? Throw it down here.

It sounds like a good start and I really like the idea of pairing up with other players that I haven't played with before, that sounds like a lot of fun.

I am guessing that you would do the usual test game procedure so I won't ask about that but I have other questions...so here they are:

1) How would the ranking work? Is it by skill or lottery or just totally random?

2) What would happen to those who can't play their games? Would there be a waiting list for people who couldn't make the first "draft?"

3) How will the teams be picked, especially if the pair can't agree on the team?

1) How would the ranking work? Is it by skill or lottery or just totally random?

2) What would happen to those who can't play their games? Would there be a waiting list for people who couldn't make the first "draft?"

3) How will the teams be picked, especially if the pair can't agree on the team?

egg, thx for chiming in here. Good questions. Here's what i'm thinking...

1. Either the commish could decide the ranking or a committee of a couple veteran coaches in the lg could decide or once we have all coaches that are interested, we could vote on the order for a couple days on the forum... i could gather everyone's input and put together a ranking list. I have a pretty good feel about where most coaches would go, there's going to be some tough calls so i hope that guys wouldn't be offended if there a couple seedings off where they think they should be. People just have to keep in mind it's just for fun, it's not Your Official Rank on this site.

2. There would be a waiting list. However, I would like to get people that have proven themselves in lg play in terms of commitment. I trust a lot of these guys on this site would finish if they joined. I would hope that if you choose to commit to this league and another coach, you have the decency to finish what you started.

3. I can't imagine most guys would fight over what team they want to be but just in case, lower seed out of the 2 coaches get the final decision.