NHL'94 Forums

Where Should Sundin Go?

smozoma

If the leafs trade Sundin, where do you think he'll go?

He has a no-trade clause and has been saying he'd like to end his career in Toronto (who wouldn't?), but if he Bourque's, where should he go? And who should the leafs get for him? A few early-round draft picks, for sure, but they can't just leave a big gaping first-line centre hole like that; they'll need to grab a decent C in the deal.

A sensible deal I read about some months ago was to trade him to Ottawa, and get Mike Fisher in return, which sounded pretty good, to me.

A sensible deal I read about some months ago was to trade him to Ottawa, and get Mike Fisher in return, which sounded pretty good, to me.

I'd be very surprised to see him go to their province rival in a trade. If for some reason it did happen, I think they would get a lot more than mike fisher.

I'd be very surprised to see him go to their province rival in a trade. If for some reason it did happen, I think they would get a lot more than mike fisher.

Yeah, they'd need some draft picks or prospects, too. Sundin would probably only play a couple more years, so it wouldn't be a bad move, thinking long-term -- get some good young players, and weaken the future-Sens by taking some of their draft picks.

But you're right.. trading him to a team they're going to face 6 or 8 times a season would be awkward at least. What are the fans supposed to do when he comes to town the 5th time?

I think he would be a good fit in Vancouver, all though I would rather see Marian Hossa come here.

All the Canucks need is a goal scorer. NOT someone like Naslund who is a little baby swede who shows up sometimes and other times you don't even notice he's playing (which is most of the time :unsure: ). We need somebody like Hossa or maybe even Sundin and then we might have a decent chance at winning a cup.

i can tell you having spoke with Chris Zelchovich of the toronto star that covers the leafs for the star.....he told me that he thinks there will be a deal very soon most likely 1 to 2 weeks before the trade deadline. the front runner right now might suprise you its the san jose sharks.....they have by far the most prospects to offer like vlasic,Joe Pavelski,Tomas Plihal,Steve Bernier,Devin Setoguchi,Matt Carle and the fact they are looking to unload Patrick Marleau. i would assume pavelski is untouchable but the sharks feel that sundin and thornton would be a devastating duo.

other teams in the mix are the cancucks who have already offered kesseler. the red wings are very gun shy after trading mathias for bertuzzi last year (complete error)

the leafs and habs have no chance last thing they want is to help a division rival win the cup

if you ask me sounds like the sharks will pull the trigger but i thinkk the avs have some good prospects that could help the leafs

i can tell you having spoke with Chris Zelchovich of the toronto star that covers the leafs for the star.....he told me that he thinks there will be a deal very soon most likely 1 to 2 weeks before the trade deadline. the front runner right now might suprise you its the san jose sharks.....they have by far the most prospects to offer like vlasic,Joe Pavelski,Tomas Plihal,Steve Bernier,Devin Setoguchi,Matt Carle and the fact they are looking to unload Patrick Marleau. i would assume pavelski is untouchable but the sharks feel that sundin and thornton would be a devastating duo.

other teams in the mix are the cancucks who have already offered kesseler. the red wings are very gun shy after trading mathias for bertuzzi last year (complete error)

the leafs and habs have no chance last thing they want is to help a division rival win the cup

if you ask me sounds like the sharks will pull the trigger but i thinkk the avs have some good prospects that could help the leafs

cool read..thanks for the insight.

yeah the problem is for Vancouver they're is the no trade clause and i don't think Sundin will want to go to vancouver because he will have more pressure to produce that if he'd go to Detroit,Montreal (it won't happen),San jose....

As much of a rabid leafs fan that I am, I want Sundin to win the cup, so I mostly want to see him go to a team where he could win the cup before he gets too old. Detroit sounds good to me, maybe even the sharks. Come to think of it, Thorton and Sundin sounds pretty devastating. With Cheechoo on that line as well, it sounds like it would be a line to rival that of Spezza, Heatley and Alfredson.

Logan said:
As much of a rabid leafs fan that I am, I want Sundin to win the cup, so I mostly want to see him go to a team where he could win the cup before he gets too old. Detroit sounds good to me, maybe even the sharks. Come to think of it, Thorton and Sundin sounds pretty devastating. With Cheechoo on that line as well, it sounds like it would be a line to rival that of Spezza, Heatley and Alfredson.

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

One thought was that he would get traded near trade deadline to a Cup competitor, HOPEFULLY win a cup, then during the off season re-sign with the Leafs. It's hopefull that a team would give the leafs a draft pick or two and a solid player for him.

As far as I'm concerned, he can just stay in the Eastern Conference, I don't need any of the teams in the West getting any better.

I'd think Calgary would be interested in him, as a good centreman to play with Iginla.

Should really depends on perspective, as a shark fan id like sundin to stay in Toronto, ill explain why in my far too indepth analysis of what i feel are legitimate options for the Leafs.

First off, there's only two teams in the East who have the ability to take on Sundin and be considered a playoff team, those two teams would be Atlanta and Montreal.

Atlanta is probably the least mentioned place as of yet, but it makes sense for them since they lack a true playmaking center. Eric Perrin is currently a top 6 forward there, obviously they have room to improve. Only issue is Atlanta sold the farm for Tkachuk last season and got swept out of the playoffs, are they willing to make a similar move this season? I doubt it, but if they did they would have to offer something along the lines of the 1st pick and or their top prospect Brian Little to even begin negotiations with the Leafs. Atlanta has the need, but its not a viable option unless Atlanta is suicidal.

Montreal is a surprise team and they are looking for more scoring punch. But i think they would have to overwhelm the Leafs in order to get Sundin in a deal. At the very least, Montreal would have to put up their 1st round pick, a young forward along the lines of latendresse or kositsyn, and a mid level defensive prospect, and thats just to get Toronto to even pay attention to them, if they want a serious talk, they would have to throw in another young top level prospect or the habs 1st pick in the following year...far to steep a price for a team who is still building its core.

Thus the Western Conference i feel is the only non fairy tale situation for Sundin to be traded.

Vancouver has probably the biggest need by far for top 6 forward as they are offensively starved. What would Vancouver have to give up though? At the very least, trade talks would start with Luc Bourdon being an absolute must included in the deal. Vancouver also has cap issues to deal with, so theyed have to trade someone back to Toronto with some sort of contract. A guy like Ryan Kesler would also have to go as well, along with maybe even a scrub along the lines of a Byron Ritchie. Also some sort of draft pick would have to be thrown in. The real problem lies within the cap figures though as anyone with some sort of substantial salary is deemed neccessary by management and thus wouldnt be up for a trade. Viable options such as Willie Mitchell and Sami Salo have albatross contracts considering Toronto's current blue line situation.

Next up, Calgary. Heres an interesting trade; Sundin for Tanguay straight up. Tanguay has been swirling around the rumor mill lately and the salaries matchup enough to where the salary cap isnt an issue. Calgary can move Conroy to checking line center, put Lombardi on the wing and let him use his speed to create havoc, then Moss comes back off injury to fill a top 6 or top 9 role. Sundin is inserted on the top line with Iginla and Huselius and all of a sudden that is a lethal line. Aside from Tanguay, they dont have the top level prospect neccessary to lull Sundin away and would thus have to offer draft picks galore along with other roster players. If Toronto felt Tanguay and even a 2nd or 3rd round pick were bounty enough for sundin, then i think this deal may happen, but the Leafs may be looking for more than just one star player to replace another.

So Sundin for Tanguay is likely a pipe dream.

Detroit is an interesting location for Sundin, but its a tough place to trade to. Cap room isnt much of an issue for the wings, so they have more trade options. Thing is its hard to evaluate whether or not Detroits prospects are top level since they have a penchant for finding diamonds in the rough and then developing them to incredible levels. Is Toronto capable of similar development? I doubt it, so they would need more established talent, along the lines of a Hudler, Franzen, or Fillppula along with mid-level defensive prospect Kyle Quincy and a 1st round draft pick from atleast 2008. Nothing Detroit could offer in a legit trade would please Leaf nation and it would best be wise for the Toronto GM to steer clear of Detroit entirely.

San Jose seems to be a hot place for sundin to go, but i dont see it happening at all. Patrick Marleau's experiment at left wing was a miserable failure. So unless the Sharks trade Marleau the other way, they would have no where to put Sundin since the top 2 center spots are occupied and the 3rd line doesnt have capable wingers for a center along Sundins or Marleaus talent. But lets say the Sharks were stubborn enough to put Marleau back on the wing. They would have to offer either Devin Setoguchi or Logan Coture, Joe Pavelski, and a 1st round pick. The Sharks have cap room to trade away prospects and picks, but their needs lie on the wings and on defense, finding a center while they already have marleau and thornton is a back burner issue.

Anaheim provides the most intriguing options in a trade. Due to losing Dustin Penner to Edmonton, Anaheim has the Oilers top pick, which is guaranteed to be higher than any other pick that any other team ive mentioned can offer, it has the potential to be a top 5 pick, which would give the Leafs an incredible situation of possibly having two top 5 picks in the draft. So Anaheim starts with their top pick, they can throw in a guy like Sean O' Donnell who is cheap, has 2 years left on his contract and can be useful to Toronto in the short term. Also Anaheim could throw in a propsect along the lines of a Drew Miller or another established player such as Todd Marchant who is somewhat expensive, but is still useful and only has 2 years on his contract. The Ducks also have other options such as Brandon Bochenski, Ryan Carter, Bobby Ryan, or any other of their prospects they can offer to the Leafs. The main drawing point is the top pick here and then Anaheim can start low and build their way up through their prospects until Toronto is satisfied.

So after all that said, i think Anaheim has the only real and legit shot in obtaining Sundin, if they chose not to, then Detroit is the next most likely team to be able to take on Sundin, with Calgary coming in third. But those last two teams are so unlikely in my mind that the Leafs will just hang onto Sundin instead.

First of all congrats to angryjay for his comment very well but there is a little twitch! Atlanta is not in the position to trade people for sundin they might not even do the playoffs and since hossa's going UFA there looking forward to trade (and montreal to aquire him)

Here's a trade the leafs would like

David Ficher (blue chip defenseman 1st rounder)

1st round pick

Kyle Chipchura

Jaroslav Halak (shitty goalies in TOR halak's a good prospect but Price overshadows him)

For

Mats Sundin

oh and by the way Angryjay the Shark's dg specified that Pavelski is untouchable and i don't think he wants to re-do an error like the Rivet/Gorges trade

and here is the rumor for Tanguay going to montreal

Michael Ryder

(bluechip prospect)

for

Alex Tanguay

remember that tanguay's salarie is 5 million and he's going UFA so the leafs dont have enough space under the salary cap and you're trading UFA vs UFA they will never accept

First of all congrats to angryjay for his comment very well but there is a little twitch! Atlanta is not in the position to trade people for sundin they might not even do the playoffs and since hossa's going UFA there looking forward to trade (and montreal to aquire him)

Here's a trade the leafs would like

David Ficher (blue chip defenseman 1st rounder)

1st round pick

Kyle Chipchura

Jaroslav Halak (shitty goalies in TOR halak's a good prospect but Price overshadows him)

For

Mats Sundin

oh and by the way Angryjay the Shark's dg specified that Pavelski is untouchable and i don't think he wants to re-do an error like the Rivet/Gorges trade

and here is the rumor for Tanguay going to montreal

Michael Ryder

(bluechip prospect)

for

Alex Tanguay

remember that tanguay's salarie is 5 million and he's going UFA so the leafs dont have enough space under the salary cap and you're trading UFA vs UFA they will never accept

I like your analysis and i agree that Atlanta isnt in a position to be trading for a guy like sundin, but they do have the need and thus i just mentioned them in pasing.

I'm a littler weary of that Montreal offer, Toronto already has Toskala and Raycroft and they have Justin Pogge as their goalie for the future, so Halak would be overkill. The other three pieces i think though would bring Toronto to the table, but they would be asking for another player along the lines of a kositsyn, latendresse considering theyed be trading to the habs and in the eastern conference.

If Pavelski is untouchable, then they can trade a different guy along the lines of Mike Igguledun or Lukas Kaspar along with a Setoguchi or Coture, but then i think the sharks would deem that as trading away too much of their future, especially when considering Sundin doesnt really fit with the line up.

And i agree with you on Tanguays salary, Toronto already has 43 million devoted to next season, plus they would have tanguay until 09 and they have to give pay raises to steen, stajan, and wellwood, even if Sundin took a hometown discount, they would be too close to the cap to do anything else or have any flexibility in 08-09. So that really limits Calgary's options in acquiring Sundin.

So i still stand by my predicition of Anaheim or nothing.

hmmm yeah maybe but i don't think it would really hurt montreal to give away Latendresse (kostitsyn's not an option) and

just look what we offered to get Kovalev from the rangers... mostly nothing i think kostitsyn is way more valuable then

Sudin considering he's an UFA and Bob Gainey's under pressure he gotta make something so i think we have more chance

going for Hossa or Tanguay but Sundin's still an option just replace Halak by latendresse. personally i think Anaheim's

in great position for getting sundin but i dont think he will want to go there. In the West the play is way mroe physical

the strategy is diferent and may not really adapt to Anaheim's style (maybe yes..). And if you look backward at last

year's series the offense was strugling versus detroit in game 3 detroit was crushing anaheim 40 shot to 15 it was 1-1

Giggy holding the fort and selanne scored on a defenseman's mistake and after that giggy goaled like never and

with a help of some lucky goals Anaheim got trough

angryjay93 said:
And i agree with you on Tanguays salary, Toronto already has 43 million devoted to next season, plus they would have tanguay until 09 and they have to give pay raises to steen, stajan, and wellwood, even if Sundin took a hometown discount, they would be too close to the cap to do anything else or have any flexibility in 08-09. So that really limits Calgary's options in acquiring Sundin.

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

Sheesh guys!!

1st thing- Montreal : it's not gonna happen , why?

1- Bob Gainey. My young freind Pavel might not remeber his days with minnesota and the Dallas but Bob Gainey has never big on trades he builds on the draft and development of young talent. this is just a fact

2-Canadiens are a young team who know fair wel they have an outside chance to win the cup and not a favorite. that being said only look at the canes a couple of years ago and you think anything is possible. Possible yes but even with sundin it will be mighty hard to win the cup with this roster. How quickly we forge tless then 3 weeks ago matthieu Dandenault was on the first line......team is streaking does not mean they are out of the woods with only 8 points out of the playoffs or 6 points out of 1st place anyhing can happen

3-Cliff Fletcher! let me guarantee you that the last thing Cliff Fletcher wants to do is be the guy that trades Mats sundin to the habs and the habs actually win the cup. the leafs will trade him far far away and i think the only team that was a legitimate chance to get him in the east is pittsburgh and it would take a jordan stall.

4-having been around this team quite a bit this year i can tell you that Latendresse, both kostitsyns and higgins, komisarek are considered the clubs futu nucleus. they WILL NOT BE TRADED. furthermore i go back to point A when has bob gainey traded a prospect for a superstar???? joe nieuwendyk for jarome iginla???

revisionist history guys

now lets tackle calgary

well we dont know enough about Sutter so i dont think it's crazy to think they could make a move however.

1-the flames could easily add 2 role players such as a tucker and pick whomever and become a more solid team,\. tucker is a bad example because he still has a few years on an inflated contract but i mean that type of player.

2-someone refered to the cupboard being bare ....very true there is a genuine lack of prospects in the organization they will not trade prospects or the type of prospects it would take to get a Sundin

3- alex tanguay i can tell you is without a doubt one of the top 3 overated players in the nhl...having never had a 30 goal season despite playing with hejduk,sakic and forsberg. An above average player who cannot elevate his teammates game...Fletcher would never trade sundin for this guy.he is anything but young and IS NOT and Never will be a franchise player......btw the other 2 most overated players patrice bergeron 60 points a carrer year give me a damn break and michael ryder who is by far the least talented 30 goal scorere ever to wear a canadiens uniform

the things the leafs will want are the following

either a package like say setoguchhi a 1st rounder and a mid level prospect

they are not taking salary back unless its in the form of an established player (see star) patrick marleau -18 is not what they have in mind but if he begings to play well it could happen

REDWINGS dont need sundin nor will they trade a guy like mathias like they did last year to get bertuzzi. they would much better be served getting a couple of smaller peices or getting a Rob blake

Pens could make a move but why???

they are in no rush to deal good young players for a rent a player....would you? they can win for the next 5 years why rush things?

finaly if i hear one more time the canadiens ill scream, working in talk radio in montreal you get to hear all of the weirdest stuff like trade ryder for hossa???

hello wtf is ryder. or trade halak for blake they need a goalie. again wtf??? toronto is a divisional opponent they dont help the canadiens its not ever going to happen stop dreaming

• 2 weeks later...

Mats to Team Sweden of America (aka Detroit) :P Question is though... If he could be expected to play on the second line.. :) He has made it pretty clear that he wants to stay in Toronto "no matter what" from what I understand.

Forsberg, if he'll ever well get healthy again would probably go to Vancouver to his mate Näslund (I know they've wanted to play together for a long time).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did anybody notice that i called it???? that there wouldnt be a trade it was long winded argument......its props time boys

you also called the pens not making any moves for this year

you also called the pens not making any moves for this year

File that under "Getting Played"

I don't think he goes anywhere. He stays, the Leafs suck for 1 or 2 more seasons, and it all ends in a 5 minute tribute video at the last game of the year.