NHL'94 Forums

Another Solution For The Incomplete Games

thegr8199

After discussing this with a few coaches, I was thinking instead of minusing points for lack of GP, we can use this theory:

If you played more games then the opponents on your schedule...

You get the W(2 pts), opponent the L(0 pts)

If you played less games then the opponents on your schedule...

You get the L(0 pts), opponent the W(2 pts)

If you have the same amount of games as your opponent...

Its a T(1 pt for each team)

It seems the scheduling idea hasnt worked and with this solution,it would be fair to everyone.

GR8199 and I talked about it a while ago. I think it's a great idea. Seems more fair then deducting points from 'no shows'.

This is more cut and dry. Eliminates any 'judgement' calls that would inevitably have to be made based on the existing plan.

i got an idea how about everyone just play their fricken games or be demoted in draft position for next season

It's a snaking draft, won't really do much other than give them 2 decent players rather than 1 superstar :P

Doesn't quite work because a shitty player (like myself) who plays more games than most (like myself) would aim low and not play low-games players in order to get a shitload of unplayed-game points. Many of my wins would be unearned. There should not be a reward for "avoiding" matchups. I have a better solution that I've proposed to halifax and Evan and hopefully I'll be starting a league soon (have to work out the kinks), but you can't just tack on points at the end - it has to be realized from start to end (hint hint).

well if you guys want to do that it works for me... i have no problems with it.

the DNPs will just effect when you guys set up for Season 4.

I'll post the Playoff Tree later on tonight.

Edit:

I'll post the Playoff Tree tomorrow night just in case there is any chance of last minute games getting in.

???

Sorry Jrod, I was referring to the Season 4 Draft.

At the beginning of this season, I used a system I came up with to create the order for the draft.

Returning players get penalized for having DNPs, and due to the penalties they may have to pick later in the draft.

Sorry Jrod, I was referring to the Season 4 Draft.

At the beginning of this season, I used a system I came up with to create the order for the draft.

Returning players get penalized for having DNPs, and due to the penalties they may have to pick later in the draft.

Thx Donche, makes perfect sense now :P

I don't know if it's right to give guys points for unplayed games. After all, there was a whole season to get the games in, and unplayed games are a result of not being on enough early in the season, as well as late. I'm kind of lucky to have gotten 55 in, considering how absent I was most of the season; I'd typically just come on and play a pile of games the weekend before a deadline.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:

scenario 1:

So I've got a pair of games with Eric. Whoever has more games played gets the points? That's really not fair to EA. He's been politely and regularly asking for games but I've had to deny him each time. Since I was able to squeeze a bunch of games in yesterday, I now get the points over EA? That doesnt seem right.

scenario 2:

I've got another similar situation with Carse. I tried to get a game with him last night, but due to being at school his ping times are terrible. Deadline was yesterday and at that point he had more games then me. (we now have the same amount of games played) Should I have lost out on the point opportunity because his connection sucks? I was ready and available.

These are just two scenarios. I'm sure there are others with similar cases. I know we cant please everyone, but justed wanted to give my 2 cents.

scenario 1:

So I've got a pair of games with Eric. Whoever has more games played gets the points? That's really not fair to EA. He's been politely and regularly asking for games but I've had to deny him each time. Since I was able to squeeze a bunch of games in yesterday, I now get the points over EA? That doesnt seem right.

...If we happen to extend the deadline, EA and I had planned on getting together on Tuesday to get er done.

After discussing this with a few coaches, I was thinking instead of minusing points for lack of GP, we can use this theory:

If you played more games then the opponents on your schedule...

You get the W(2 pts), opponent the L(0 pts)

If you played less games then the opponents on your schedule...

You get the L(0 pts), opponent the W(2 pts)

If you have the same amount of games as your opponent...

Its a T(1 pt for each team)

It seems the scheduling idea hasnt worked and with this solution,it would be fair to everyone.

I completely disagree with this method. I have been adamant about contacting yourself, VC, scribe and bhf for games to no avail. At least BHF responds and we will plan on playing our games if Donche will give our extension request for tomorrow.

Scribe is never on. Yourself and VC don't respond to my IMs.

I'll be on tonight to finish up but I don't care what gets decided, I'm not taking any penalties for DNPs. I've put in way more effort and extra time than I should have to complete my games.

I was surprised to see that issuing a phantom 2 pts. to teams was offered as a solution to games not played. There have been 70 days to play league games. That is more than enough time to get games played. Boosting up point totals for some, when others had to actually PLAY those games is just ridiculous. Are you actually serious?

Donch came on and make a post regarding the final deadline and that last week would be the last week to get your games played. In addition, he also noted in that thread that any player who does not finish their games OR make an effort to come on the boards and post their availability would be given DNP's. It was clear. Since that time, Vocally has been a no show. He seems to be the only guy that did not put forth an effort during the final crucial week to touch base with the league. Echoed by other posters, Vocally is a great guy, however, the facts are there and his no show last week clearly falls into exactly what Donch warned in his DEADLINE POST 1 week ago.

The deadline has come and gone and my team is in a playoff spot. I guess now it sounds like the deadline will be extended to accomodate others. Sorry LA KINGS, it was out of your hands.

First off id like to say i appreciate bhf's and EA's opinions on the matter but in my opinion, it is most likely not going to make much difference at all on whether or not we extend a deadline or not when it comes to who makes the playoffs and the position those people will be in. The proof is in the numbers and i hope people will see what i mean.

With what i stated last night on how i think we should handle the end of the season, i made my own standings based off of that.

1. Islanders 86 pts.

2. Wild 70

3. Red Wings 76

4. Habs 65

5. Buffalo 63

6. Quebec 61

7. Anaheim 48

8. L.A. 45

9. Sharks 31

10. NYR 30

11. Devils 18

12. Philly 17

1. Jets 84

2. Leafs 77

3. Calgary 76

4. Chicago 75

5. Tampa 73

6. Ottawa 71

7. Blues 68

8. Vancouver 68

9. Dallas 65

10. Colorado 49

11. Boston 45

12. Pittsburgh 43

The system rewards people who play the most and it doesnt adversely effect others, based off win percentage for the season, this is actually quite accurate in terms of getting the standings right in terms of positioning. I dont mean to pick on anyone if they felt they have been, im not trying to punish you EA because whether or not you play the games, it is most likely going to end up with you being in the 3 seed,i know you want to get the games done and thats fine, they can be added to the data base, but they shouldnt count in the final standings because we should be moving onto the playoffs and my goal is to appease the most people, i know its impossible to please everyone and this solution may not please you, for that i apologize but im just trying to help the most people here, if you strongly object, i encourage you or anyone else for that matter to post and ill be happy to respond in a respectful manner.

It's a snaking draft, won't really do much other than give them 2 decent players rather than 1 superstar :)

put an end to the snaking draft and go by season records and slacker penalization or get rid of 4 of the worst slackers and go with 20 teams instead which would be much better and go to 40 games