NHL'94 Forums

Snes Nhl 94 Glitches & Tricks

Stefan

Alright, so like most people here, I've played this game to death, and still play it with a group of my friends on a weekly, to bi monthly basis.

Annnnnd like most people, I've stumbled across some glitches that are actually effective in the game, but not overly cheap since everyone can do it...

*ALL GLITCHES PERFORMED ON A SUPER NINTENDO*

1) Alright, starting with a simple glitch that I never don't use anymore, it's just reaction... This is for SNES exclusive as far as I know... Pushing the Y button after you've been knocked down will immediately get you back up.

This can be done after your player has been injured as well for a nice... goofy... effect.

2) Removing your goaltender from the crease and giving him the opportunity to skate around the ice, free form, which can in turn knock over players, or the oppositions goaltender... (and can even draw interference penalties on the oppositions goaltender ... see glitch 3) To do this, you must have at least two people on one team... just as your opponents take a penalty, and you've touched the puck push the X button and wala, you're the goalie now. Timing is key, you have about a second or two to push X, then you're the goalie! Free as a bird knocking over everything you see. I use this glitch all the time =P

Note: This can also be done by replacing the goalie with the backup, or NONE, then pushing X... (or you might have to push X prior, then replacing the goalie, I forget...)

3) Oppositions goaltender gets an interference penalty, the result being a player is in net... not the back up. This has only happened once to us, needless to say the player subbing in for the goalie (who was Andy Moog, and for whichever reason the coach decided Blue wasn't the good fit...) was amazing. The player ended up with a shutout through the remaining two periods, Andy Moog didn't replace him after his penalty expired, which again, is beyond me.

4) Players randomly get pulled out of the ice surface, and into the crowd... I don't know how to get this to work, it's happened maybe 3 times ever for me... At one point I was left with two players on the ice, apparently the fans just wanted to get a bit... closer... to my players.

5) Strange sound effects from one timer shots... Occasionally the sound of a drumb, or a sniper rifle goes off? Again, this is random, and happens once in every few games. Easier to reproduce in instant replay, silly glitch.

6) Mario Lemiex's head / Stick / Pucks are displayed at the top of the instant replay screen. This occurs randomly, like the previous two glitches... and infrequently as well. Might just be my Super Nintendo going wonky for all three of these.

7) Players aren't creditted with an assist. Every now and then a player is denied his assist... for whichever reason. This happens frequently enough for people to not care anymore, but infrequently enough for my friends and I to laugh when it does happen.

8) A goal scored with 0 seconds left. For some reason you can score with 0 seconds left, I dunno why.

This is all I can really think of right now, we've had some glitches on penalty shots where the player couldn't access the puck for some reason... I forget how to reproduce that one...

Anyone else have some funky glitches to share?

Hey stefan,

Great post...thoguht I'd add some comments.

*ALL GLITCHES PERFORMED ON A SUPER NINTENDO*

1) Alright, starting with a simple glitch that I never don't use anymore, it's just reaction... This is for SNES exclusive as far as I know... Pushing the Y button after you've been knocked down will immediately get you back up.

This can be done after your player has been injured as well for a nice... goofy... effect.

Fenty has become a master at this trick...just when you nail his player and think you are free...he's holding you a split second later.

Also...I know this works for online but I've meant to test it out on the actual console....does it work for both?

2) Removing your goaltender from the crease and giving him the opportunity to skate around the ice, free form, which can in turn knock over players, or the oppositions goaltender... (and can even draw interference penalties on the oppositions goaltender ... see glitch 3) To do this, you must have at least two people on one team... just as your opponents take a penalty, and you've touched the puck push the X button and wala, you're the goalie now. Timing is key, you have about a second or two to push X, then you're the goalie! Free as a bird knocking over everything you see. I use this glitch all the time =P

Note: This can also be done by replacing the goalie with the backup, or NONE, then pushing X... (or you might have to push X prior, then replacing the goalie, I forget...)

I dont think ive seen this one...got a video of it?

3) Oppositions goaltender gets an interference penalty, the result being a player is in net... not the back up. This has only happened once to us, needless to say the player subbing in for the goalie (who was Andy Moog, and for whichever reason the coach decided Blue wasn't the good fit...) was amazing. The player ended up with a shutout through the remaining two periods, Andy Moog didn't replace him after his penalty expired, which again, is beyond me.

nice one...havent seen this one either

4) Players randomly get pulled out of the ice surface, and into the crowd... I don't know how to get this to work, it's happened maybe 3 times ever for me... At one point I was left with two players on the ice, apparently the fans just wanted to get a bit... closer... to my players.

I've seen this happen a couple times as well....never in online play but on the console.

5) Strange sound effects from one timer shots... Occasionally the sound of a drumb, or a sniper rifle goes off? Again, this is random, and happens once in every few games. Easier to reproduce in instant replay, silly glitch.

yeah...this has happened to me a few times...as well as random whistles.

6) Mario Lemiex's head / Stick / Pucks are displayed at the top of the instant replay screen. This occurs randomly, like the previous two glitches... and infrequently as well. Might just be my Super Nintendo going wonky for all three of these.

havent seen this one before..interesting.

7) Players aren't creditted with an assist. Every now and then a player is denied his assist... for whichever reason. This happens frequently enough for people to not care anymore, but infrequently enough for my friends and I to laugh when it does happen.

yeah...ive seen this several times....its really funny when you score on the one timer and no assist is awarded.

8) A goal scored with 0 seconds left. For some reason you can score with 0 seconds left, I dunno why.

i've seen this one happen a few times....and have heard about it in online play.

This is all I can really think of right now, we've had some glitches on penalty shots where the player couldn't access the puck for some reason... I forget how to reproduce that one...

i've seen this glitch before as well...and if i remember correctly...it's due to starting to press a button (not sure which button)...before your player actually shows up on the screen.....the puck is rolling and you cant do anything...and then your penalty shot times out eventually.

To add to that...if you foul a player on a breakaway and time expires in the period....it goes to the penalty shot screen...shows the player then fades to black and goes to the intermission menu so you never get to take the shot. (this may be only for the second intermission but i'm not sure)

Welcome to the site and hopefully you'll play some online gaming with us!

Yeah, the first one, like I said is a reaction... So you're pretty much being held constantly if you hit a player.

As for the second glitch, I don't have a video, but it's very easy to perform.

Feel free to take a video, provide some credit for me =P and display.

Oh, more glitches.

9) You can seperate the faceoff circle during a defensive zone faceoff that is closest to your own players bench... To do this, pull your goalie. Your goalie will skate through the faceoff setup, splitting up the players, almost guaranteeing you a faceoff win. (sorta risky though...)

10) You can score on yourself through the back of your net (not really a good glitch, one thats cost me a game or two)... To do so: I believe this only works if you're skating from up to down, (up is your defensive zone, where your goalie is). Have the goalie get the puck, go behind your own net, and pass down... It'll unfortionately go through your own net, which will lead to you swearing at the game.

9) You can seperate the faceoff circle during a defensive zone faceoff that is closest to your own players bench... To do this, pull your goalie. Your goalie will skate through the faceoff setup, splitting up the players, almost guaranteeing you a faceoff win. (sorta risky though...)

never tried it....sounds funny

10) You can score on yourself through the back of your net (not really a good glitch, one thats cost me a game or two)... To do so: I believe this only works if you're skating from up to down, (up is your defensive zone, where your goalie is). Have the goalie get the puck, go behind your own net, and pass down... It'll unfortionately go through your own net, which will lead to you swearing at the game.

jeff94rules actually has a video of this on youtube from our semi final series in the classic league. I scored on myself by putting it through the back of the net.

It can happen at both ends of the rink from what I've witnessed.

Looking for anything that might get me an edge...

Yeah, fenty's really good at exploiting the game mechanics and using them to his advantage...I didn't know about the Y-trick but I'll probably be practicing it from now on. That, and knocking off the net to avoid a scoring chance against...

All that aside from the fact that he lives so far away that it's a laggy mess whenever you play him! ;)

Anyways, that goalie trick (#2) seems interesting enough to try out, if I can see it in action.

Since pulling your goalie takes time and is considered bad form, #9 is mostly out. Although I'm constantly surprised at the lack of face-off technique players have.

Yeah, I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better (and hell, I'm pretty darn good at the shootout now :)

That, and knocking off the net to avoid a scoring chance against...

Knocking off the net is really easy on the SNES version. I think my record, after a goal, was knocking the net in different directions 3 or 4 times. If you angle just to the inside of the post, while holding diagonally on the controller, it will come off with a well timed check.

For the goalie pull thing, like I said it's only really good for 2v2, and I only use it when the opposing team takes a penalty.

I wont actually pause the game or anything to do it, however, it is a method of doing this glitch easier if you want to test it out on the computer.

Looking for anything that might get me an edge...

Yeah, fenty's really good at exploiting the game mechanics and using them to his advantage...I didn't know about the Y-trick but I'll probably be practicing it from now on. That, and knocking off the net to avoid a scoring chance against...

All that aside from the fact that he lives so far away that it's a laggy mess whenever you play him! ;)

Anyways, that goalie trick (#2) seems interesting enough to try out, if I can see it in action.

Since pulling your goalie takes time and is considered bad form, #9 is mostly out. Although I'm constantly surprised at the lack of face-off technique players have.

Yeah, I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better (and hell, I'm pretty darn good at the shootout now :)

Well I think a good method of play is staying tight infront of your net, and using poke check... Only really use body check/speed boost if you're in the neutral zone, or really have a guy lined up, otherwise you throw your guys out of position too much.

I use poke check for the majority of my defense... Also, get good with defense control, it's huge.

11. If you get a delayed penalty shot and the period ends, the penalty shot wont be called until the next period starts, though as soon as the puck is dropped, the whistle sounds.

I recall that's what happens anyway.. <_< Quite anoying.

Haven't really had those things happen to me that you mention, Stefan.. Apart from the more common ones, like the "rifle" sound. B)

11. If you get a delayed penalty shot and the period ends, the penalty shot wont be called until the next period starts, though as soon as the puck is dropped, the whistle sounds.

I recall that's what happens anyway.. <_< Quite anoying.

Haven't really had those things happen to me that you mention, Stefan.. Apart from the more common ones, like the "rifle" sound. B)

I mentioned this in my first post....thanks for taking credit...

lol....just kidding buddy...you need to get back online and start playing again.....life isnt the same with out the swedish elite player.

After being a part of this forum for over a year, I recently have discovered this page, which explains all the glitches.

http://nhl94.com/html/bugs.php

after a quick scan through it seems to be mostly(all?) genesis glitches.

after a quick scan through it seems to be mostly(all?) genesis glitches.

Oh yeah I forgot most of those are genesis <_<.

But I think some of them apply to SNES as well for example the scoring a goal with 0 seconds left glitch.

GAME GENIE CODES

Below are some Game Genie Codes I wrote that you might want to try out if you're playing NHL '94 on the SNES.

My personal recommendation is the Drunken Pianist.

NHL '94

SNES

Game Genie codes

Beep Receiving, Synthesizer:

CAAF-0F6F

DCAF-0F6F

DAAF-0F6F

3CAF-0F6F

Drum:

DFA4-0F6F

B3A4-0F6F

1CA4-0F6F

DAA4-0F6F

DCA4-0F6F (with doppler effect)

Jumping Volume:

3CAB-0F6F

DCAB-0F6F

DCAB-0F0F

Clicking:

CCA4-6F6F

Drunken Pianist:

A4AF-6F6F

C4AF-6F6F

14AF-6F6F

64AF-6F6F

Whistle Passing, Clicking:

14AF-0F0F

81AF-0F0F

A4AF-0F0F

C4AF-0F0F

CCAF-0F0F

DCAF-0F0F

BCAF-0F0F

Suck Passing, Scratching:

E2AF-0F0F

Another common one is that sometimes a shot hits the goalie and the puck goes way up in the air...yet the goalie still has control of the puck...you press 'b' to pass and the puck is sent to the player at a downward angle.

Anyone contributing to this thead want to try and organize a final Snes glitches list (with screenshots or video when possible) so I can add this to the nhl94.com bugs section? That would be awesome if someone has the time. I still have to update the Genesis/Sega CD one.

-Evan

the original poster said he no longer uses the stand up button. I use it all the time, even if I'm going to switch to another player. if the dude is down, pick him up; he will hold/hook any opponent within reach. you can just wait 'til he's up and switch to the guy you wanted a split second later. I don't know if I'm giving away a secret; doesn't everybody else do this?

and if you get called for hooking or holding, it's easier to score shorthanded, anyway.

I've experienced a snes glitch where the entire game was just really sped up for some reason. Like im talking much faster than the juiced league. It was pretty wild, but unfortunately it's never happened again.

You may have touched the framerate up toggle.

From the man who brought you the 0:00 Gens goal, I give you the 0:00 SNES goal.

The period ended as usual, and then when we hit start to start the 3rd, the screen froze for a second or two on center ice. The puck was sitting there by itself. After a second or two, the usual period start happened (with the camera panning up from the bottom of the rink.)

post-23-1202779719_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post removed due to overreaction. new topic started to address my question.

played some Sega version today. went to overtime with the Calgary scrubs versus the Allstars East. they were awarded an unexpected penalty shot at the end of regulation. pretty sure it wasn't deserved (not even a breakaway). during overtime, I passed the puck and the receiving player was controlled by the computer. when I tried to switch to the puckcarrier, I was switched to another player instead. after the computer-controlled player passed the puck, things were back to "normal." these things happen often in the Sega version (I play 1:1000::Sega:Nintendo, so I wouldn't really know)?

read the f**king title man, SNES glitches

EVERY POST SNES VS GENS,....WE GET IT YOU DONT LIKE GENS. AND YOU GIVE ORAL TO SNES.

EVERYYYY FUKNG POST

sorry, I was looking for a topic that related to glitches and I missed the SNES only aspect of this thread. sorry. sorry. sorry. this has nothing to do with my bias toward the versions, it is a real question about occurrences I noticed today. everybody is so uptight here. take the cartridge out of your ass. damn.

• 4 weeks later...
....You can score on yourself through the back of your net (not really a good glitch, one thats cost me a game or two)... To do so: I believe this only works if you're skating from up to down, (up is your defensive zone, where your goalie is). Have the goalie get the puck, go behind your own net, and pass down... It'll unfortionately go through your own net, which will lead to you swearing at the game.

jeff94rules actually has a video of this on youtube from our semi final series in the classic league. I scored on myself by putting it through the back of the net.

It can happen at both ends of the rink from what I've witnessed.

just had this happen to my opponent in the past couple of days. he was at the top right with his goaltender and pressed against the corner of the net. at the same time, his stick kind of reached around to the front of the goal, making it tough to tell if it went in through the net or across the line (make sense?). goal was credited to my goalie (he was the last of my players to touch the puck). I felt bad.

Heres a crazy one I just experienced today... I had a clear cut breakaway with Theo, got taken down by Mr.Housley just across the blue-line, giving me a penalty shot. Theo ended up sliding into the goalie and getting an interference penalty. So the penalty shot is given to Theo, but instead of him lining up at center ice, he is in the penalty box and as soon as the whistle is blown to commence the penalty shot attempt the puck zips straight across from center ice onto Theo's stick in the penalty box as if it were a magnet. The game didn't freeze, but it was stuck in that state and i couldn't advance, resulting in me reseting the game. Needless to say I LOL'd for a while :lol: