NHL'94 Forums

Zednik Freak Accident

dmac

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Good news is he is in stable condition and has been moved to a Buffalo hospital.

The Buffalo Sabres fans showed great respect and class when they gave a standing ovation when they found out Zednik was in stable condition and was being moved to a nearby hospital.

Second time this week something involving a skate has cut a persons face. Earlier this week Downie's skate his the referee's face and the ref was bleeding all over.

I was at the game and witnessed this accident first hand. It was complete silence in the usually sold out and boisterous HSBC Arena for several minutes until the arena announcer confirmed his stability. It was so quiet that I could actually hear the Zamboni engines running. As per a press conference minutes ago, Richard suffered a severed carotid artery, contrary to the jugular vein injury that the Buffalo News reported. Richard is recovering in the ICU and should be moved to a general med/surg floor within the next few days and discharged in a week. He will be allowed to resume normal activities in 6-8 weeks. Best wishes Richard!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=12465...=1#post12465857

This thread in forums I am involved in talks about it a lot.

This is NOT a freak incident, at least not in my opinion.

Referee on Saturday.

Rene Bourque (suffered a different but similar life-threatening injury like this in 2006).

According to Clint Malarchuk's wiki article Bengt Akerblom (who died from the injury)

Clint Malarchuk.

It raises awareness on an issue that has probably been ignored due to it's relative rareness, but neck guards will certainly be talked about for the next several days.

And I will have nightmares like I did when I first read about Clint Malarchuk (which was about a month ago so this really pisses me off).