NHL'94 Forums

What Do You Do To Get Better At Nhl94?

hokkeefan

do some of you study the patterns they run and how they return for backchecking?...or do you just play ALL the time to practice up?

I have hours upon hours of recorded video footage from jeff and fenty and mark and theval99 and many others...and i go through each play day and night...dissecting it more than howie meeker....

"stop it right there..roll it back it a bit...k play it form there."

I also bought the 'kgman school of nhl94' DVD.

so far, I'm not sure if the 19.95 + tax that I spent on it has been worth it...he guarantees results with in your first three minutes of gaming...but I did get a free KGmug and KGballoons for the kids...and that I will cherish forever.

I have hours upon hours of recorded video footage from jeff and fenty and mark and theval99 and many others...and i go through each play day and night...dissecting it more than howie meeker....

"stop it right there..roll it back it a bit...k play it form there."

I also bought the 'kgman school of nhl94' DVD.

so far, I'm not sure if the 19.95 + tax that I spent on it has been worth it...he guarantees results with in your first three minutes of gaming...but I did get a free KGmug and KGballoons for the kids...and that I will cherish forever.

:lol:

I play a lot of 2on2 and f**k em all up.

And I love playing with new players, requires patience and developing teamwork.

(no idea if this actually improved my 5on5 game though :lol:)

You're spot on Habs (nice plug for 2on2 btw). I think playing 2 on 2 develops your defense a little better. You're forced to use one guy and get in better defensive position at all times.

Join us................

I play a lot of 2on2 and f**k em all up.

And I love playing with new players, requires patience and developing teamwork.

Habs I remember sungod and I were playing you on the 2on2 ROM one day and we owned you and someone else like 3 straight times but then you guaranteed me that if you get a noob on your team you would win and you did :lol:

A few words of advice:

- Backcheck with a forward. That way you will have two AI defenseman and a forward on defense. It's also usually easier to catch an opposing player coming down ice with a forward.

- Know your players. Know who to deke with, who to take slap shots with, who to cross crease with, etc.

- Pick light players.

- If all else fails, pick Chicago next time.

- Practice

Once you get into the higher levels of competition, I think a lot of really subtle things turn out to be huge. Most people can score in all kinds of ways, but it's paying attention to how the AI is lining up and adjusting on the fly based on that. You get into trouble when you try to force things to work. A lot of it is having patience on offense and defense. Not turning the puck over either in your own end or in the opposition's end will really cut down on the number of good scoring opportunities you have to defend.

Also, there's all kinds of intangible things like keeping focused, not pressing, knowing when to slow down the pace and when to really push it. All of those things come together with practice so that when you're in a groove over a number of games, you don't think about strategy so much as you just react and execute. And I think you really have to plot your line out so that all of the pieces complement each other and offer different types of threats on offense. Light players are obviously a benefit, but if a light player is only a passer or a checker, you can really box yourself in at times on offense. I haven't seen anyone run what I would consider to be the perfect or ideal line so obviously there are a number of different ways to build a team, but the key I think is they must have a cohesion between the parts that results in a synergistic effect.

Once you get into the higher levels of competition, I think a lot of really subtle things turn out to be huge. Most people can score in all kinds of ways, but it's paying attention to how the AI is lining up and adjusting on the fly based on that. You get into trouble when you try to force things to work. A lot of it is having patience on offense and defense. Not turning the puck over either in your own end or in the opposition's end will really cut down on the number of good scoring opportunities you have to defend.

Also, there's all kinds of intangible things like keeping focused, not pressing, knowing when to slow down the pace and when to really push it. All of those things come together with practice so that when you're in a groove over a number of games, you don't think about strategy so much as you just react and execute. And I think you really have to plot your line out so that all of the pieces complement each other and offer different types of threats on offense. Light players are obviously a benefit, but if a light player is only a passer or a checker, you can really box yourself in at times on offense. I haven't seen anyone run what I would consider to be the perfect or ideal line so obviously there are a number of different ways to build a team, but the key I think is they must have a cohesion between the parts that results in a synergistic effect.

ummmmmmmmmmm ya, like, I'd say just play a lot and play well.

But great analysis and guidance Scribe. You're spot on bro. Imo you're gdl team was as complete a team as I've seen. But it all goes back to your style preference.

My preference is having good speed up front, a shooter, and couple of light guys. At least one mobile D-man and one stay at home banger. Finally a decent goalie that can be easily controlled.

As you mentioned when you get into games against more experienced players, your Goalie Control (GC) is critical to your success. Especially when you're finding your way offensively. I'd also suggest playing shootouts to get familiar with the movement of goalies etc.

Bottom line, is have fun. Take your lumps initially and progress will begin to show. Understand some guys play all out the whole 15 minutes while others play just to fine tune their games. It's never personal if someone drops 10+ goals on you. (Unless you have a tendency to run your yapper, then its gets personal :P

whaa! I can't handle opinions that don't resemble mine! whaa! I have to delete anything I don't agree with! whaa! off to cry...

Wait...wait...is that a near Ghostbusters quote?.......classic :)

I've thrown a few other quotes out there that have gone without notice in other posts....I didn't think anyone would catch this one either.

Mack you score the points for the day!

now that it seems like that fool is done deleting all of my posts, I'll reiterate that picking light players isn't good advice for SNES players, as the SNES version isn't flawed when it comes to weight and corresponding abilities of players like the Genesis version is.

this experience (of having my helpful and defensive posts deleted by a waste of life) confirms to me my opinion that small-membership boards like this one don't need multiple moderators; additional ones love their power and exercise it unnecessarily in order to flaunt their status. good for you, buddy. now go stroke yourself while repeating "video game message board moderator."

now that it seems like that fool is done deleting all of my posts, I'll reiterate that picking light players isn't good advice for SNES players, as the SNES version isn't flawed when it comes to weight and corresponding abilities of players like the Genesis version is.

this experience (of having my helpful and defensive posts deleted by a waste of life) confirms to me my opinion that small-membership boards like this one don't need multiple moderators; additional ones love their power and exercise it unnecessarily in order to flaunt their status. good for you, buddy. now go stroke yourself while repeating "video game message board moderator."

Your countless attempts to make sure your genesis bashing (however clever you think you are) and snes tips (useful) also say a lot about the "lack of life" you have in trying to "out wit" said "video game message board moderator."

yeah, yeah, yeah. I like the game and I post here. I try to add my two or three cents when I fell like it is called for. deleting my posts is childish and makes a fight were there need not be one.

To get better I really don't consider to try and blow out the CPU. I set certain goals for myself, such as scoring at least 4 one timers with three quick passes and at least 4 one-timers with one pass, or score at least x amount with slap shots from the point. Or also on the defensive side allowing no more than X amount of shots. I think setting small specific goals and focusing on one finer point of your game at a time is a really good way to improve.

-Vinnie

good point, Vinnie. lately I've been trying to score ANY slapshots that aren't cutacrosses. really tough on SNES. Genesis lets you have a lot of slapshots, SNES doesn't allow them very often. sometimes if it deflects off the goaltender and in.

There's several axioms I've come to learn in my short time on earth

All stuff that tastes good will kill you.

Every major sports team has the best fans.

Never wear swoosh pants when bbq'n.

Keith Richards will outlive all modern species.

There will always be beef for some people against their rival version of NHL'94.

the differences between the versions are the most interesting topic of discussion for NHL94, so get over yourself.

always wear pants while barbecuing.

plenty of things that taste good won't kill you; go vegan.

Being a chef in a long forgotten past life, I know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to eats. Mainly all of the decedent and great sweets are laden with artery clogging subcutaneous fats.

And as a bodybuilder I need protein from animals, besides they taste great.

Back on this crazy train, you should know that these differences were settled long ago in the NHL'94 Experiment.